Author Topic: Another Crazy Badger Idea  (Read 38385 times)

Offline Ifrit617

Re: Another Crazy Badger Idea
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2013, 05:48:01 pm »
How about book that features a dozen or so bows of different styles built by notable bowyers? A chapter dedicated to each bow/bowyer. Each bow would would be professionally photograhed and the bowyers would simply talk about their chosen bow - why are you drawn to this bow, what are the merits of this particular style and what are the tradeoffs, what is the history of this style, what materials do you use and where do you get them, construction tips - anything the bowyers wants to say about this bow. Included would be something about the bowyer.

Then after the book is published, the bows and a fully autographed book could be auctioned off as a whole and the proceeds donated to a worthy cause.

Bingo. I think that is what you should do, except with around 6-10 bowyers. I know I would buy it. I don't think it would even be necessary to auction off bows. I can think of a few that I would like to see including Gordon's flatbows, blackhawk's molles, Del's ELB and halfeye's scalloped bows.

Jon

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2013, 09:26:11 pm »
I think it would be interesting to see an A to Z (short form) from each featured bowyer.  This is how I cut, treat and store my staves, the woods I prefer, types of bows I build, tools I use and techniques employed.  So many guys for example swear by their particular rasp while others seldom use them.  Same with scrapers and draw knives etc.  So many variations have developed over time, and I enjoy seeing and learning about others techniques.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #92 on: October 22, 2013, 10:46:53 pm »
This is an excellent Idea!  I would love to see something like this!  A lot of really good ideas already listed.  I like the idea of lots of chapters covering different topics.  I like the idea of more detail on different styles of bows, techniques, tools, etc etc.

I would also nominate:
Gordan -  for anything he does. 
Adb - for his laminated long bows
Del - for his ELBs down to earth and comedic style - his posts are always entertaining and full of good knowledge!
Blackhawk - for his narrow tipped molly style bows - pushing these limits and how? 
Pearl Drums - his all around knowledge - maybe especially "passing it on" he does quite a lot to go out of his way to help others learn how to do this!
George T.- of course for his Lumber Bow expertise.
Weylin - for his light hearted upbeat attitude about building some serious bows
Missilemaster strikes me as someone who learns new techniques extremely fast and implements them very well.  maybe some thoughts on his approach / journey. 
Halfeye - short bendy handle bows - or carved backs...amazing
Eric - for sure needs to contribute
Simson – concave belly, insane, crazy, amazing, incredible bows....
Marc St Louis – I would love to see more about heat treating or perhaps something performance related or a focus on flight bows.
James Parker- what else? Horn composite bows.
Pinecone – would love to hear all about PNW bow woods!
Lukasz Nawalny – I would love to hear more about his approach to wood bending.  He knows how to push the limits and has done some really amazing things…

I nominate myself to read it when it’s done! 

I’m sure there are a lot others I could and should nominate but these guys just come to mind right off the bat.

I do think it’s extremely important to respect a person if they don’t wish to contribute or have the time or for what ever reason.

What about a section on knowledge learned from mistakes or most common mistakes, errors, no nos, warning signs, gotchas, watch out for this, beware of that, don't be afraid to break a bow, how to fix it or learn from it or what ever?  Real world down to earth lessons learned from trial and error or pushing the limits.  "From here to there again bowyers tale."   How one inexperienced person succumbed to this incredible addiction and became a bowyer (and a good one).   

I think it’s always good for beginners, intermediate AND advanced bowyers or what ever to hear how someone who is really good started and developed the skills they have now. 

Just some thoughts…..
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Josh B

« Reply #93 on: October 23, 2013, 02:35:20 am »
If I may be so bold as to offer a few suggestions, I believe that a few things need to be ironed out before this project can move any further along. First of all, what exactly is the scope of this intended project gonna be and what format would best suit that purpose. From what I'm gleaning in the original post, the general purpose is to present new and improved tips, tricks, and techniques that have come about in recent years.  If this is the general idea, would it not be better to use a different format than the TBB series utilized?  There's no question of the effectiveness of TBB series format.  In fact, the original 4 volumes were so effective that it might be nearly impossible to avoid redundancy or outright plagiarism in a volume 5.  If the idea is to pool knowledge from this community, would it not be a better use of the vast resources at hand to use the best experience and knowledge from the community as a whole rather than 10 or 12 select individuals?  Instead of a conglomeration of these select few, why not a compilation of the best tips, tricks, techniques, insights, troubleshooting or whatever tidbits that are valid and useful submitted by members and compiled into an easy to navigate book or series of books.  Instead of chapters, maybe sections and subsections with the best tidbits all catalogued and easy to research in their respective sections.  For instance a section titled "character stave techniques" with sub sections "knots", "holes", "checks" and so on and so forth.  You could and should have sections covering every facet of the craft from layout of the bow to pet finish recipes and techniques. Then compile the best tidbits submitted by the contributors under their respective sections.  Obviously, not all submissions would make the cut and it would be a huge undertaking to sort through it all to separate the wheat from the chaff, but the shear amount of useful bits from such a vast array of sources as this community offers would likely fill volumes with incredibly useful information. 
       Obviously the question of royalties would need to be addressed.  I believe that the only way this would work is if the contributors understood up front that there would be no compensation due for their submissions.  The only thing that contributors would get is there name attached to their submission.  There would necessarily have to be a compensated staff of compilers and editors, but the royalties should be divided between PA and the publisher.  Call it giving back for hosting this forum or whatever you want, but PA is a business and should see a profit for anything they might consider backing.  Just my .02 on this project.  Josh

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #94 on: October 23, 2013, 02:54:04 am »
Well doc I'm glad you have shortend it up a bit >:D
I have a number of people in mind for a number of different reasons depends on what criteria that you're looking for I'd be happy to share at the proper time ;D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Accipiter

« Reply #95 on: October 23, 2013, 03:05:17 am »
Wow, lots of ideas out there, pretty cool to see! I just wanted to throw another one in the mix, here's something I think might be an interesting chapter: Have an experienced bowyer or several take a few (5-7?) staves of different lengths, woods, etc. and have them discuss the designs and techniques they would chose for each piece. Flatbow or longbow, width profile, backed (and with what) or unbacked, heat treat or not, recurved/reflexed/deflexed/etc. I'm always curious whether certain woods have properties that lend themselves to particular bow styles, and how I can incorporate this knowledge to maximize the performance of the stave. Good luck with this!

Offline Aussie Yeoman

« Reply #96 on: October 23, 2013, 05:35:06 am »

There are heaps of really good ideas in this thread. It's amazing what ideas can sprout when there's a ray of inspiration shining down.

If I might, I'd like to point something out: of all the really great ideas out there, quite a few of them would, I think, also make terrific articles for PA magazine. Articles about new bowyers starting out, articles about the difficulties of being a professional bowyer, articles comparing composites against wood bows (again). All of them and more would be very well suited to a periodical. A few months ago there were two articles within the one edition on making takedown sleeves. So there's even room over the course of a year for a few new bowyers to write something about a reasonably similar topic.

Gun Doc raised a very good point that Badger's original idea was to capture developments in process, design, lore...pretty much the evolution of the wood bow since TBB. For that reason, I think there would be benefit in focusing the articles on cutting edge techniques, designs and theories of bowyery. Things that have significantly developed, or are completely new, in the past several years. At least, developed and new stuff that is not covered in TBB. All while preserving the conversational spirit first mentioned by Badger. People have dealt with knotty wood quite well for a long time, people have used Poplar for not so long. That sort of thing.

Dave
Articles for the beginning bowyer, with Australian bowyers in mind:

http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/articles/tutorials

Offline TimPotter

« Reply #97 on: October 23, 2013, 07:14:02 am »

"How about book that features a dozen or so bows of different styles built by notable bowyers? A chapter dedicated to each bow/bowyer. Each bow would would be professionally photograhed and the bowyers would simply talk about their chosen bow - why are you drawn to this bow, what are the merits of this particular style and what are the tradeoffs, what is the history of this style, what materials do you use and where do you get them, construction tips - anything the bowyers wants to say about this bow. Included would be something about the bowyer.

Then after the book is published, the bows and a fully autographed book could be auctioned off as a whole and the proceeds donated to a worthy cause."
                                                                       :Gordon

That's what I'm thinking. Professionally Photographed is very important. Gordon I've always admired your choice of backgrounds almost as much as the bow pic itself. The bow needs to standout. Show it's richness and beauty, draw the eye in. It would be a great coffee table book.

"The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them."  Ernest Hemingway

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #98 on: October 23, 2013, 07:25:30 am »
Wow,this thread could be a book on it's own. ;) :) The main thing if yall want to get this off the ground ,is to decide who's in charge,if not you will have a lot of talking and oppions but nothing will get done. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #99 on: October 23, 2013, 08:06:08 am »
Wow,this thread could be a book on it's own. ;) :) The main thing if yall want to get this off the ground ,is to decide who's in charge,if not you will have a lot of talking and oppions but nothing will get done. :)
 Pappy
What he said! ;)
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2013, 08:45:17 am »
It is Steve's Baby !
He is awaiting for the publishers response I believe !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Badger

« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2013, 08:49:12 am »
    Some great ideas are pouring in. Two things were brought up that need to be addressed.

Pappy suggested we find out who is in charrge. Only because I brought the topic up and posted it I kind of put myself in charge up to this point. That would likley change once the team is established. If PA decides they want to back this project they would likely want to put someone in charge. If they don't want to back the project but allow us to use PA for a selection process then I suggest The selected panel decides who they want in charge.

Josh brought up the financial end and compensation. I believe this should also be dealt with only when the panel is selected. If the book turns into a quality piece of work it should sell for many years to come. I believe that featured authors, editors and all involved should be compensated once PA realizes a return on their investment. Formulas for compensation are not difficult to arrive at. Certainly it would not be a life changing amount of money.

We have some distinct advantages over some of the books that have come out in the past if we choose to capitalize on them. PA is a resource of knowledege. Egos will always sneak in and out o any project or group but PA has managed to avoid becomming an ego driven web site and has successfully survived as a comradery of bowyers just building bows, learning new tecniques the old fashion way by making bows and sharing knowledge the same way they did this in a village 10,000 years ago. It would be a shame just to waste this resource.

So just to be clear, I am not saying I am in charge of the poject beyond the stage we are at right now, this could change in a moments notice and I would have no hurt feelings or animosity. I just want to see this thing happen and become the quality book I know we have in us here.

Next step, we do need to set up a process here for nominations and voting and we need PA approval for this.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2013, 09:00:10 am »
Steve ,you need to pm Ed/Marie and have them read this thread, if you haven't already and I feel sure you will get a responce,wether they want to back it or not and weather they are good with moving on with on the site if they don't want to get involved. I would go to Marie first since she manages the web site. Just a thought. ;) :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Badger

« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2013, 09:17:30 am »
  Good idea Pappy, I am not too familiar with the chain of command here. I guess I assumed the moderators would bring it to their attention. I can do that today.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2013, 09:27:39 am »
We take care of the day to day,but Marie is the mananger,she is on from time to time but not sure if she will see it.  :) I think they may be interested in helping[not sure on that]  May be business reason I don't know about, :-\  but feel pretty confident they won't mine it coming together on the site, I can see only good coming from doing it.  :) IMHO.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good