Author Topic: Odd question  (Read 12153 times)

Offline Tower

Odd question
« on: October 28, 2013, 08:45:11 pm »
I've seen a KITH, PITH, what about a BITH? Box in the hat? We have knappers from all over the country. Materials some of us have never knapped.  My question is would anyone be open to a large flat rate box of rock swap? Treated or not.    Just a question.  Tower
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Dalton Knapper

Re: Odd question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 09:08:05 pm »
I think most knapperes would be curious about other materials, especially local stone. I wonder how many of us are able to collect materials rather than purchase them? For instance, I can collect Crowley's Ridge (Lafayette Gravel) any day I want (barring flood times) and I don't know of it being for sale anywhere. Might be a great trade for someone. That said, I'd risk a swap for lord knows what just to see what I get. What about heat treating? I think as long as we knew what to do as instructed by the trader, anyone should be able to crank up a Turkey roaster and some folks like raw rock. It would be a gamble, and not applicable to everyone, but some folks with lots of local rock might be interested. I would be for medium box rather than large though.

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:09:58 pm »
I think that is a great idea, I want to try Flintridge, Hornstone, Coral, Novaculite and some more Odsidian. I guess Burlington is like Keokuk ? The guys receiving from Texas knappers would stand a chance of getting a good variety of stuff.
Tower, how about I bring some of the stuff I have been cooking by and see if you can make me one of those killer Cahokias.

Offline Tower

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 09:25:16 pm »
With respect... I think y'all are over analyzing it.   I'd swap my best for anything, but I live 15min from more material than I could Knap in 5 lifetimes.   I'd like the challenge of a hard material.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Stringman

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 10:13:37 pm »
I'm interested. Couple thoughts... I agree with medium flat instead of a large. Will we be sending spalls or nodules? Will there be any restrictions on who can join? Some people simply don't understand what good rock is. Not sure how to solve these issues, and I dont mean to over complicate the concept, but I'd like to discuss it a little first.

Offline 1442

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, 05:53:26 am »
I'd be in. I can get bull gravel.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, 06:52:19 am »
Sounds interesting, hmm.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 09:21:50 am »
Sounds great!

Medium or small flat rate box sounds good to me.

If you don't have good rock, I would think that thick glass would be acceptable?  I'd be happy with anything cool-looking: colored glass, gravel, heated, unheated, flakes, chunks, you name it!   ;D
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 10:19:42 am »
A medium flat rate sounds great .

Offline knapperhead

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 10:43:41 am »
Sounds great!

Medium or small flat rate box sounds good to me.

If you don't have good rock, I would think that thick glass would be acceptable?  I'd be happy with anything cool-looking: colored glass, gravel, heated, unheated, flakes, chunks, you name it!   ;D

I agree with this......Guess I got a little excited earlier  :-[

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 11:45:46 am »
I'm in. Would be happy to send out a box of the Johns valley rock. Its tough, but Cowboy made some pretty points with it. And Ive made just some points :-[
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Majuba Tom

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 02:36:53 pm »
I would be happy to send a box of the chert and agate I collect here in Lyon County Nevada. Raw or heat treated spalled or not.

It's what I have been learning on. The nodules are small and a 3 inch spall is a big one for me. However some one with more experience at spalling might want to spall it them self.

So if anyone wants to try what I can get I would be happy to try to any other material out there.

Majuba Tom

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, 04:47:42 pm »
I'm in for a Med. flat rate and I can pack you some challenging rock Don, if I get you. My problem is I'm in Spain still but my boss said hell or high water I'm not staying past November 10.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 01:21:58 am »
medium or large count me in!

Offline Tower

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 02:26:13 am »
I think we can accommodate everyone.