Author Topic: Where Ya From?  (Read 496766 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: where ya from
« Reply #405 on: July 21, 2009, 10:41:55 pm »
LOL ! Ive been here for 34 years ...the natives give me a "free pass"

Are You sure?? I have been here in the Texas Panhandle for 28 Years....and I am still just a Damned Yankee.....hell they don't even accept my Texas Born Kids as Texans......... aAs Sylvester the Cat would say ..........Pithhhh on em...... >:D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline stickbender

« Reply #406 on: July 21, 2009, 11:32:41 pm »

Chad, that's because you're from Mich. and not the "other" northern states.  You don't start a coversation with, well back in NY, etc.  That and few people from Michigan come down here to change it to be like up north.  So you are more easily accepted into the fold, than someone from the eastern north. I have Yankee cousins up in Trego, Wisconsin, formerly from St. Paul Min. El D, we are still tight man, you see there are Yankees, and then there are those D@#n Yankees.  Those are the ones who move down here and immediately start complaining, and whining how great it was up north.  And start whining to the D@#n Yankee city commissioners, and start building golf courses, Malls, that go bust in 4-5 years, and do it again two miles down the road.  I-95 goes north also.  Leaving Florida?  Take a Friend.   ;D  No offense meant to anyone from the eastern north.  My GirlFriend is a far left liberal from Mass.  But if you move to Fla. leave it the hell alone!  If you don't like it, go back.  You come down here and complain and whine the whole time.  Go back to where that is the accepted norm.  You can keep your tourism.  You come down here with a white shirt, and 100.00 bill, stay for two weeks, and don't change either one. :P  The true natives, are few and far between.  There are some transplanted southerners, who have been here a long time, but still not TRUE born here natives.  And the new generation of born here natives, are of recent arrvials from the eastern northern states.  So I guess you could say that they would be the native Whine-ahs.   ;D

Wayne

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #407 on: July 22, 2009, 07:59:50 am »
I married a gal whose family homesteded this area back in the 1800's.Folks ask me if i'm from here and when I tell them "No, only lived down here 40 years"I get a strange look.Then when I go up to Flint ridge knapp-inn and wear my Gator shirt and tell em' I was born in oHIo I get that same look............A stanger in a strange land
Bone pile
Venice Florida

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #408 on: July 22, 2009, 10:34:18 am »
Native of Wyoming but now reside in Missouri
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline DanaM

« Reply #409 on: July 22, 2009, 11:09:56 am »
Hell we have the same problem way up North here in da UP, get the city folks from Chicago and Detroit that come up here to retire,
build a home in the country then complain when the farmers spread manure :o Wish most folks would stay south of the damn bridge myself.
Don't even get me going on the tourist hunters come gun season ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #410 on: July 22, 2009, 08:59:07 pm »
Wish most folks would stay south of the damn bridge myself.
Don't even get me going on the tourist hunters come gun season ;)

Hell Dana....When C.C.I. closed down the Mines back in 1980 and We weren't eligible for Unemployment or Food Stamps....I kept Groceries on the Table most Winters Shooting Bucks and Bears for them damned Doctors and Lawyers from New York...Chicago...Detroit.....Kansas City..... Phoenix...you name it....they would give you a couple Hundred to go out and fill their Tag...while they sat in the Big Motels and went chasing Women and getting Drunk...Then They would go back and tell their B.S. Stories about their Big Game Hunts in Upper Michigan
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:02:09 pm by El Destructo »
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

bow-guy

« Reply #411 on: July 28, 2009, 11:21:54 pm »
For the last 13 years I've been living just North of Spokane, WA.  But raised in the Heart of Dixie, Gods country and Hanks.  Born in FL and just love the panhandle of that state.

Shoot, Shovel, Shut-Up  has its place.

Offline John K

« Reply #412 on: July 29, 2009, 03:52:54 pm »
 :o :o :o
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #413 on: August 09, 2009, 07:16:38 pm »
Hadley, Pa. around Lake wilhelm about a mile.

Offline bodiebill

« Reply #414 on: August 09, 2009, 09:04:10 pm »
Itinerant oilfield worker
Texas, Wyoming, Montana, OK, back to Texas and now in So CA.

Offline Herm from Bavaria

« Reply #415 on: August 10, 2009, 02:49:23 am »
bavaria here. the land of the oktoberfest. we got the best beer worldwide, but we are not allowed to hunt with bow and arrow!

bancroftkid

« Reply #416 on: August 20, 2009, 01:33:45 pm »
Near Bancroft Ontario. Just getting started with primitive bow construction. Very interested in knapping and arrow making also. Delighted to find this terrific site.

Very helpful indeed. If you are near me, please touch base. Sure would be nice to talk to someone.

I've got the trees and the tools.(No band saw........yet)  I've bought the books. I've bust one maple self bow. I'm working with white ash, ironwood, and elm at the moment.

Cheers,

George
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 01:38:08 pm by bancroftkid »

Offline StevenT

« Reply #417 on: August 27, 2009, 05:11:02 pm »
I live in Chesapeake, VA.   Interested in learning napping, but getting a late start at it. Just turned 56.

When I was visiting my Mom a couple summers ago in TN, one of her friends had a good sized shack out back on the side of a hill. Used it for knapping. I spent a day with him and he showed me a little of what he did and guided me through the process of making a point. He sent me home with a 5 gallon bucket with some rock in it, a piece of leather, a copper pressure flaker made from a deer antler and some hammer stones. Well, I quickly turned the rock into smaller rocks and ended up with a pile of gravel. I put  everything away. A couple month ago I was cleaning out my shed and found the bucket. It wetted my appetite again. This time, I spent about a month on the internet reading and watching videos, buying books and reading about knapping. I finally gave it another try starting with the same thing everyone else pretty much starts with... a beer bottle bottom. With a lot of blood, sweet and the use of word not fit for mixed company, I was able to make a point.  As they say, it ain't pretty, but it's my first! So know I'm hooked.

I am glad I stumbled across this sight and I'm enjoying reading all of the older threads.

A little about myself: I am orignially from Kentucky, own a couple acres outside Elizabethtown, KY and still call it home. I'm retired Navy and currently living in Chesapeake, VA. I just turned 56 and up until now, my only hobby was Golf. My day job is being the IT Director at a lawfirm in Norfolk, VA. Oh yea, I live with a wonderful lady who thinks I'm nuts for wanting to play with rocks.

Offline cailean

« Reply #418 on: September 09, 2009, 01:58:14 pm »
southwest Ontario Canada here

banoch

« Reply #419 on: September 15, 2009, 10:44:29 pm »
Charleston WV . Anyone else? Couldn't go through all 28 pages.