Author Topic: Gut Bow string  (Read 39112 times)

Offline huntertrapper

Gut Bow string
« on: December 16, 2007, 11:47:21 pm »
anyone ever make a bowstring out of the intestine of game. I read how to do it in a traditional bowhunter magazine and was wondering whether anyone has done it. i would like to do it next deer i get so any advice would be good thanks
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Gut Bow string
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 08:52:34 am »
Never tried it, but I have always wanted to attempt one. I've read that the Cherokee in my area preferred bear gut for string material. I'm gonna try to round some up and make a string for a Cherokee longbow replica I'm working on.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2007, 12:10:44 am »
3Rivers sells gut hafting material.     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2007, 06:59:23 pm »
the article said bear was the best also their bigger too.
Modern Day Tramp

Dingleberry

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 12:04:47 pm »
Never tried it but like Hillbilly I would like to make a bear gut string for a cherokee replication bow.  Good luck.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 12:58:44 pm »
Jonathan, you're elected to go get it out of the bear for us. Hurry, now!  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 01:15:57 pm »
While you are at it, make one from badger (another greasy omnivore) and maybe some other predators.  I want to know if bear is really better or just sounds cooler.  >:D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

John R

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2008, 01:43:33 am »
It's quicker than making a sinew string that's fer sure. Intestines really shrink down when dried so it takes multiple plies. They seem to be more durable than rawhide unless you use smaller hides and more plies than deer. Twist them when damp, dry them like a sinew string, and off you go. If you want to get a lot of material out out of season buy natural sausage casing. Yup, hog or sheep isn't as cool as using deer, but it's a lot less stinky than getting guts out of a roadkilled deer in August... They pop when you stick'em if they've been sitting too long.

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 04:24:21 am »
I hate to eat fish, it is a matter of taste, and the only thing I hate more than that it to catch an release, that is just plain cruel.  But I enjoy fishing.  I and I am happy to share the catch with someone who will eat it.  So, if I gut the critters, can I get enough gut to make a bow string?  TBBII suggests, with out stating clearly, that it is not the gut, but the inner casing that is of use.  Is that right?  If so, how do you get it out?  Pictures therein suggest that intestines would be about nine times the lenth of the fish, is that about right for a bench mark?  Seems like it would be fun to catch a mess, cut them put, save some skins and guts and share the flesh. Any thouhts?
Steve in LV, NV

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 10:31:46 am »
I hate to eat fish, it is a matter of taste, and the only thing I hate more than that it to catch an release, that is just plain cruel.  But I enjoy fishing.  I and I am happy to share the catch with someone who will eat it.  So, if I gut the critters, can I get enough gut to make a bow string?  TBBII suggests, with out stating clearly, that it is not the gut, but the inner casing that is of use.  Is that right?  If so, how do you get it out?  Pictures therein suggest that intestines would be about nine times the lenth of the fish, is that about right for a bench mark?  Seems like it would be fun to catch a mess, cut them put, save some skins and guts and share the flesh. Any thouhts?
If you go fishing and  catch a bunch, make sure to save the air bladders.  You can make fish glue with them that is comparable to hide glue but is more water resistant and more pliable. As for gut from fish, there is only one way to find out.  Let us know how it works.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 12:55:24 pm »
I've made gut strings from sausage casings, Pig gut.

I did some research a few years ago on gut, the type used for stringing tennis rackets and I found out that cattle gut is far stronger than any other gut, makes me wish I still had cows. If anyone has access to cattle gut it would be worth trying
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 01:10:36 pm »

I did some research a few years ago on gut, the type used for stringing tennis rackets and I found out that cattle gut is far stronger than any other gut, makes me wish I still had cows. If anyone has access to cattle gut it would be worth trying

I would guess that would apply to all the bovine.  I am going to make hamburger from an old range cow here shortly, if her gut ain't tough from living on sagebrush and blackbrush, nothing will be.  ;D Justin

SW Utah

gene roberts

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 10:01:49 pm »
You don't like to eat fish,that must be what's wrong with the world.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 01:06:55 am »
I grew up on Fish...living on Lake Superior.....its Un- American to not like Fish....sort of like not eating Chocolate!!!!!!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 08:58:20 pm »
Smoked whitefish from Superior mmmmmmmm good eh hoser. ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI