Author Topic: Show your Robin Hood  (Read 10735 times)

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
Show your Robin Hood
« on: December 18, 2013, 08:33:30 pm »
I recently got my first Robin Hood and didn't have anyone to share the excitement with. I thought it would be fun if everybody posted their arrow splitting expertise. I can't honestly say I tried to split a $10 arrow but it was in the bull's-eye and that is what I was shooting at. Anyway, if any of you have a picture you want to share please post. Here's mine.

Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline soy

• pm106221
Re: Show your Robin Hood
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 01:29:59 am »
Don't have the side view...

Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline artcher1

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 08:10:37 am »
I honestly can't understand why anyone could get excited over ruining a perfectly good arrow ;D. It's most certainly always an accident :'(. But hey, that's just me. So, congratulations!  ;)

If you like, I can share a little secret to help prevent that from happening in the future........Art

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 10:43:30 am »
Definitely Art. Accident or not, not everyone can say they've done it!  This threads just for fun so what's your secret? Something tells me this will be good.
Excellence is a state of mind.  Whether you think you can or can't...you're right!

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 11:09:01 am »
It's a very simple procedure Dan. A 1/4"to 3/8"" thread wrap under the nock is all it takes. You can use any ol thread, be it cotton or polyester, makes no difference. No special knots or any thing like that needed. Just start wrapping the thread right under the nock, and when you get the amount of wrap you want, snip it off. Now take some fletching or wood glue and swipe it around the wrap (couple times at least).

90-95% of the time the nock will bust off with little to no damage to the taper. Most times it's a matter of removing some damaged plastic nock and replacing with a new one. Sometimes a little wood repair in in order to the taper. But I have never ever had a shaft split that was nocked wrapped. Here's a few pics:

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 02:31:16 pm »
Ah yes. I do this on shoot arrows so makes sense to do it on all of them. Thanks for the idea.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 03:29:08 pm »
If I find that picture of one sourwood arrow sticking in another I'll post it for you Dan. Because of it's thread wrap, I was able to repair the self-nock and save the arrow.

Well, couldn't find the pic I wanted of the Robin Hood arrow but did find it's repair.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 08:53:52 pm »
that is a great idea art does it affect the balance adversely from the Foc?
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 09:43:12 pm »
Here's one...

Offline artcher1

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2013, 08:01:41 am »
that is a great idea art does it affect the balance adversely from the Foc?

I doubt if the thread and glue adds more than a grain or two of weight Soy. Nothing that you will notice as far as affecting FOC. I probably have more differences in weight in my rear tapers than that..........Art

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2013, 12:54:15 pm »
Nice shot Adam.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2013, 01:19:06 pm »
OK, I found the pics I was looking for earlier. I showed the repair in the pics above. Here's where it started......Art

Offline adb

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2013, 09:09:24 pm »
Nice!!

Offline Dan K

• 58#@28"
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2013, 10:25:24 pm »
Ohhh yeahhh baby!  Saweeet shot! 8)

Offline artcher1

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2013, 09:18:59 am »
So much work goes into making our arrows it's a shame to lose one to an errant shot. So wrap that nock area well, be it plastic or self.

Here's that same (repaired) arrow today with a mounted broadhead that Brother Dan sent me..........Art