Author Topic: What all glue and varnish do yall use for whipping on arrows?  (Read 12565 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Re: What all glue and varnish do yall use for whipping on arrows?
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 12:18:59 pm »
you can buy THIN cyanoacrylate glues at hobby shops. Its sort of a slower-drying superglue. It is also very expensive- 5$ for an oz.  However, it is extremely strong, more so than superglue.
Works wonders on fletching, and also on wrappings.

I use the liquid loctite super glue on fletchings, I tried the gel super glue, but it didn't work too well for me. The liquid stuff works great, cures in seconds.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline PortlandJoe

• nock. draw. LOOOOSE!
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 12:08:48 am »
fletch-tite for the fletching, TBIII on the whipping, then a blend of tru-oil and linseed oil treats the rest of the shaft.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 09:31:53 pm »
fletch-tite for the fletching, TBIII on the whipping, then a blend of tru-oil and linseed oil treats the rest of the shaft.

Whats up Joe! Will be sure to check out fletch-tite. Does mixing linseed oil and tru oil make a nice result? I have thought of doing similar things...

Offline Archeress

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 01:06:22 am »
I have also started using the bohnings  double sided tape for the fletches. No issue so far. 
Archeress is a long way from home

Offline PortlandJoe

• nock. draw. LOOOOSE!
« Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 06:47:22 pm »

Whats up Joe! Will be sure to check out fletch-tite. Does mixing linseed oil and tru oil make a nice result? I have thought of doing similar things...

fletch-tite is the jam!  and mixing the two oils make them go a hell of alot farther.  plus you i never give it more than 1 coat and it's great. my hunting arrows though get a nice coat of Otter-Wax.  it's made up here in portland and it's intended purpose is for canvas, wool, and leather water-proofing but it's amazing on wood.

Offline WillS

« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 07:03:12 pm »
Tru-Oil is Linseed oil... it's just like Danish Oil, a blend of linseed, turps and various other bits and pieces (Danish Oil is more or less an equal parts mix of linseed, turps and beeswax)  Adding more linseed probably won't make any difference other than to dilute and take longer to cure, but you never know till you try!

I tried fletching tape once, and while it's pretty good on the thin shop-bought turkey feathers, it's not much use with war arrows that meet EWBS spec, as they need to be fletched with goose, and goose primaries are too strong for fletching tape!  They just pull away from the tape as they don't want to straighten and the adhesive isn't really strong enough.  Nothing beats a good bead of cheap superglue ;)

Offline PortlandJoe

• nock. draw. LOOOOSE!
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 09:14:07 pm »
i've used all sorts of varnish and i've found that for me, a diluted 3:1 linseed to tru-oil mix is fantastic and i don't have to feel bad about dropping waaaaay to much money on tru-oil. 

on the note of glues for fletching, sand the goose feathers quill as thin as paper and you can get away with tape (you're wrapping it up anyway)  bigbowbrum on youtube has a great how to on battle shafts and he uses tape and his music selection is unbeatable

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2013, 09:47:21 pm »
i've used all sorts of varnish and i've found that for me, a diluted 3:1 linseed to tru-oil mix is fantastic and i don't have to feel bad about dropping waaaaay to much money on tru-oil. 

on the note of glues for fletching, sand the goose feathers quill as thin as paper and you can get away with tape (you're wrapping it up anyway)  bigbowbrum on youtube has a great how to on battle shafts and he uses tape and his music selection is unbeatable

Yeah, tru oil is pretty darn expensive. It's a lot cheaper to buy the biggest thing you can of it, I think it is 32 ounce, but then you gotta use it all before it goes bad too! I always get little crustys in mine, and then I will finish doing a bow, and I will look and it will have dried crustys glued to the bow in the finish. I hate that.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 03:01:22 am »
When I want to do it the easy way, I use Titebond II or III for the wrappings.  For the primitive arrows, I use fish glue.

As for the "varnish" on arrows, I now use wax and got rid of everything else.  Car wax for the easy way and lanolin for the primitive stuff.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 08:36:30 pm »
I sometimes use clear nail polish over my wrappings, but only after they have been set with a little superglue.  Makes them shinny, If you like that kind of look. 
Russ

Offline Mohawk13

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2014, 02:29:53 am »
Ducco for the fletching. TBII over the sinew wrappings. Start out with a stained and Tru oil sealed shaft. Have been using Ducco for years on wooden arrows and feathers. Will complete my first 3 primitive arrows in 31 years this weekend. Will post pics. I use 2 coats of Johnsons wood wax over the whole works. Helps the shaft slide smoother over the seal skin on My arrow rest..
He That Raises the sword against us, Shall be cleaved upon seven fold-Talmud.

Offline orangputihkgu

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2014, 04:14:15 am »
Hi, found this post a bit late.

A wax rich colour neutral shoeshine works for the shafts, fletching glue for the feathers and for the whipping still looking for something in the local hardware shop.

-cheers