Author Topic: 17th Tennessee Classic  (Read 127046 times)

Offline Josh B

Re: 17th Tennessee Classic
« Reply #165 on: March 11, 2014, 11:50:52 pm »
I appreciate that Pappy.  I won't completely abandon hope until its over.  Stranger things have happened.   I'll just have to play it by ear until then.   Does that Pete have the paccar or Cummins?   We have a dozen urea burners.  6 Cummins, 6 Paccars all twelve of them are shop queens.   I highly doubt there is a reliable motor made now.  Anyway, we'll see what happens.  Josh

Offline chamookman

« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2014, 05:23:20 am »
The last truck I had before getting laid off, was a new Volvo with the dreaded "blue cap" tank. What a piece of JUNK - that and it was an automatic tranny too  >:(!!!!!!! ALWAYS something wrong with it - Bob.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2014, 05:49:17 am »
paccar in these Josh,can't keep them running. Tower  their may not be as many nappers as bow builders but it close. As PatB said the pit is always full almost round the clock. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2014, 01:56:41 pm »
Don the knapping pit will be busy till the wee hours of the morning. Pat, before Jesse left, Jon myself and Jesse shoveled out most of the chips. It didn't take long to fill it back up.

Josh, I hate to hear about you not making it. Bet it has to do with low sulfur fuel? the stuff is killing us, been spending a fortune on our trucks.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tower

« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2014, 11:20:37 pm »
I put in for the time off today.  I'm planning on making the drive . 
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #170 on: March 13, 2014, 05:27:28 am »
Man that is Great Tower,really looking forward to seeing you.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #171 on: March 13, 2014, 07:49:29 pm »
Drag Gstoneberg's butt with you, Tower!

This year's could be quite the year down there in ol' Tennessee!  It's looking more and more like we are going to be able to get Del the Cat flown over to teach us poor Colonials how to build proper English Longbows!  And you can teach him how to drink crickwater out of a mason jar with his pinkie up in the air.

For those of you that may have missed it, we are going to try to raise some frogskins to fly Del over to Tennessee to attend the Classic.  I got the idea last year when some great folks chipped in to get me there.  It was a humbling experience to have so many great people help out and I realy wanted to find a way to "pass it along".  Then in June, I got a nice little windfall and I stuffed it under the mattress with this in mind.  I've ponied up the first $300 out of pocket, set up a bank account specifically for this endeavor and learned how to operate Paypal.  If you are interested at all, you can p.m. me your email address and dollar amount so I can send you an invoice.  Or you can buy raffle tickets on a knife that Killir Duck made and donated.  Same technique, just send a p.m. with your email address, and how many tickets you want ($5 each, $23 for 5).  We'll get it done from there!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #172 on: March 14, 2014, 06:21:53 am »
Thanks JW, Very nice thing yall are doing. When will yall draw a winner for the knife ? and is their a dead line on when you can get in. ;) :) Only about 6 weeks till it's on. I can hardly wait. ;) :) We are having a shoot/event this weekend and will be a lot of fun but for me nothing compairs to the Classic. I help TwinOaks with all that goes on but this is My baby and is so special with all the folks I have meet over the years that I have become very close friends with, even tho we only see each other usually once a year. :)Hard to explane but looking forward to meeting more new faces this year and I am sure I will. :)We go to lots of work to make a good event [labor of love] but it's the people that come that make this so special.With out yall it would be just another shoot. :) Hope to see ya in late April  or early May. ;) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #173 on: March 14, 2014, 01:28:57 pm »
Killir duck is running the raffle, I'm just the guy holding the hat out! 

The deadline is open until the airline ticket is covered.  I am going to buy the airline ticket soon, and I am going to have to rob Peter to pay Paul to do it and trust the rest comes in. 

The one mystery I did not solve last year at the Classic, is how all the work gets done without it looking like a crew of people is laboring fulltime to pull it off?  A crowd of people like that generates a lot of trash, for example, but the trashcans were always emptied, there was little or nothing on the ground to pick up. 

I've helped run a couple rendezvous events over the years.  I know how much work there is and I know the more people you have at the event the higher the work load goes!  Twin Oaks has 25 members, the event sees something like 4-500.  That's up to 20 guest per staff member!  I don't see how it happens, I just don't see it!  But it happens, no denying that!

Maybe they get cloned when they become Twin Oaks members? One to work, one to sleep...12 on, 12 off!

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2014, 02:07:13 pm »
I think a lot can be said for their organization and planning skills.  Top notch guys for sure.  "They got their ducks in a row!"
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2014, 12:51:38 am »
JW, what you haven't taken into consideration is that primitive archery people are the best in the world.  They see something that needs to be done, they do it.  They are very self-sufficient and need very little baby sitting.  Pappy and the Twin Oaks crew do an amazing job facilitating and organizing the event.  Once the event starts, there's 400 to 500 "volunteers" there to anything and everything that needs to be done.  That's one of the great things about this community.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2014, 06:24:29 am »
Very true Hedge,and also JW what sleep. :-\ ??? :) :) sleep when it's over is what I tell all the guys. ;) Del the Cat just booked his flight,so this should be another interesting year. :)  About 5 weeks and counting. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline TRACY

« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2014, 06:59:48 am »
I put in for the time off today.  I'm planning on making the drive .

Hope to see you there Tower! Always said I would love to sit down and break some rock with you!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2014, 11:09:23 am »
Del the Cat just booked his flight,so this should be another interesting year. :)  About 5 weeks and counting. :)
  Pappy

Del's not even there yet and Pappy has started using the English understated humor!  Having Del at the Classic will definitely be interesting!  I gotta remind him to bring some of his favorite tea along because I am not sure that southern sweet tea is what he is accustomed to drinking. 

For those of you interested in making ELB's, you have a fantastic chance to pick his brain and have him look over your work!  If you have ever read his bowyer's blog, you will quickly find out that this bow style is something he loves.  5 weeks and counting, still time to pitch in a few bucks to help get him over here and/or buy some of Killir Duck's raffle tickets on the knife!  Let's "PASS IT ALONG"!

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2014, 11:31:02 am »
Del's not even there yet and Pappy has started using the English understated humor!  Having Del at the Classic will definitely be interesting!  I gotta remind him to bring some of his favorite tea along because I am not sure that southern sweet tea is what he is accustomed to drinking.

I'm sure a couple doses of Southern stump water will get him primed up.  It seems to show up regularly at the Classic. :D
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN