Author Topic: Shaft spiner?  (Read 41518 times)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
Shaft spiner?
« on: August 15, 2006, 12:09:29 am »
Anyone know how to make a home made spine checking tool and how to go about making one?

D. Tiller
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Shaft spiner?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 01:38:58 am »
I have one that uses a dial indicator that was very simple to make. Send me an e-mail or PM and I'll send you a pic.  Basically it's a board with two uprights, 28" apart and the dial indicator in the middle, and with a 2# weight suppended in the middle the deflection is measured in thousanths(.00) and compared with a chart that gives the spine weight. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

DBernier

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 04:33:10 pm »
Pat, wasn't there a web site and article showing how to do this with the dial indicator?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 07:05:29 pm »
The website you are talking about is:  http://www.jamesmhill.com/spine_tester.html
   I'll have to scan ta pic of the one Art Butner made. It is simular to Hill's but done with more wood and easier for me to make. I'll get it scanned in a bit and post a pic.  I'll also scan and post the deflection chart that goes with it.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 07:45:10 pm »
Someone send me an e-mail address so I can e-mail this to you. I can't get it to come up as an attachment.   Pat   marciaandpat@citcom.net

Bow Bandit

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2006, 12:30:41 am »
on that site it says the distance between them is 26 inches and you guys say you measure spine at 28 ????

im confused ???

Brandon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2006, 12:36:52 am »
Brandon, I have mine set up at 28". That's the way I was tought.   Pat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2006, 02:30:29 am »
Let's see if this works.    Pat

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2006, 02:32:20 am »
Well, I sure can't post decent pics. Maybe the one I sent to Justin came out better.    Pat

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2006, 09:50:38 am »
Lets try this Pat. I cut and deleted all the non pertinant info from the page then resized.  Here is Pats spine tester. Justin

[attachment deleted by admin]
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2006, 10:50:12 am »
Thanks Justin, Actually that's Art's spine tester but mine is a poor copy of his.
Here is a link to Art's discussion and pics of his tested:
   http://primitivearcher.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=7&topic_id=14679&m
Boy I hope that's right. I just got writers cramps in my hand...and my brain.  lol
      Pat

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 12:31:24 pm »
That spiner has wheels on the end where the arrow sets so it should double as a arrow spinner or a hand spun crester.  Save us all a lot of space. Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2006, 12:42:09 pm »
Justin, I got my roller bearings from a skateboard shop for only a few dollars. They work very well for this application.   Pat

Bow Bandit

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2006, 01:25:11 pm »
i have mine set up to 26 inches and on his site he constantly says 26 inches ??? should i change it to 28???

Thanks Brandon

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2006, 01:56:33 pm »
Brandon, Those 2" will make a heck of a differance. Test a arrow with a known spine and adjust your spine chart to that. I'm not an expert on this. I just go by what was told to me.   Pat