Author Topic: Elder HLD 40/28 (No. 37)  (Read 26744 times)

Offline Mark Smeltzer

Re: Elder HLD 40/28
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2014, 11:40:56 am »
That is an amazing bow. Nice job!

Mark

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2014, 11:44:50 am »
Yes Sir Simon!

That's a Beauty!

I Love your HLD Bows...
Will definitely be looking for a Stave or Two to try this design on
once I complete my current Track... Wide/Flat Belly/Molly.... Sort of.  :)

Keep up the Great Work!
I am watching and Learning.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Badger

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2014, 01:08:58 pm »
  Really cool, something I have always wanted to try. Be interesting to put that bow through its paces and see how it performs as opposed to another similar bow. I imagine it would fare well.

Offline DuBois

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2014, 03:29:00 pm »
I will call you Sir Simson from now on  ;)

That is amazing. How does the HLD affect the performance? Are they more or less prone to splitting...?

Thank you and keep em comin.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2014, 04:24:24 pm »
many thanks for your nice compliments guys!!!
I'm surprised of that many replies, will answer the questions.

first: I'will do the requested measurements tomorrow and post it then

Your work is inspirational! You make it look so easy  8) I'm really loving the hollow limb bows you've been turning out, gonna have to try that eventually :) thank you for sharing!

Yes Will, go for that. I'm convinced that HLD has really great potential and it would be great to share the results here
Hi Simson, what specific species is the elder you use?
I 've made a couple of elder bows nows and really rate it as a bow wood. Low density, very elastic and able to take lots of compression with no chrysals around pin knots.
Nice bow you have made there!
So is your thinking behind hollowing the limbs out anything to do with the poisson effect, mass reduction without affecting stiffness and/or just the thin edges you end up with on these short of sapling bows?  My mind keeps on thinking about the 'snap' effect that happens when you keep extending a metal tape measure......let off at the end of draw maybe???
We need some tests doing with this design to see how it compares to a standard limb cross section.

Mike, that is sambucus niger.
I did a copy from an answer given to Gun Doc in this thread:
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,41863.0.html

1. Employ, results, longevity
I have made about 20 HLD bows so far, it should be more to get funded results. I began the HLD when I remember right 2010. Some bows were gifted away, some sold and some still in my possession. I never heard of a failure, my bows are still in use. I didn’t notice any chrysal or fret, esp. in the ‘belly walls’. Never had a vertically splitting, even in this one where the hollowed out is extreme. A word to the flatting out, this does not mean that the curved limb becomes a flat limb. You can feel the effect when you hold your hands on the belly of the limb while the bow is drawn (of course by another or on the tree).
I came to this design more or less by accident. A stave had very changing crown (depth), so to get it matched I could have narrowed it on the sides. But then the front profile would have a changing width. I decided to give a hollowed out limb (in that section) a try and that was it. It did work!

2. Advantages
The HLD allows a limb with lower mass compared to flat or lenticular cross section by a given draw weight. The lower mass causes a faster return of the drawn limb, more energy on the arrow – a better cast. HLD bows have a different f/d curve compared to flat bows. There is a steeper curve in the beginning of draw and a milder increase at the last inches, because of the flattening out. I will not say there is something like a let off (like in wheelie bows), but the limbs thickness differs while drawing the bow. You know the limb’s depth is much more critical than the width. Double the width and you get a bow with 2x draw weight. But double the depth you will get a bow with 8x the draw weight. I will say, just a little difference in the limb’s depth (flattening) causes a great effect.
Drawing a HLD bow always reminds me on spring steel, the draw is very smooth and comfortable.
In my opinion the limb’s belly has lower stress compared to the flat profile (see my sketch I the buildalong). The flattening out causes a tension horizontally, perhaps this allows more room for the cells to compress vertically.

3. Bow wood
I have done HLD on osage, elm, yew, hazel, golden chain tree, euonymus europaeus (don’t know the English word), maybe some others I don’t remember now …
At least hazel is marginal bow wood, but I had a surprisingly good result with that specific bow (is posted a few weeks ago), so I cannot say HLD needs a highly interlocked grain like elm. But wouldn’t use a wood gnarly like this with dogleg different reflex and so on anymore, this was a challenge.

4. Design
A stave with a high crown is needed. The depth of the limb (measured over the hollow) compared to the width should be in the ratio of 1:3, otherwise it doesn’t flatten out and you lose a great advantage. The curved wall of the limb must be thin enough to work. The two ends of the wall should have no edges and must be sanded round to prevent excessive stress. These are just my thoughts and experience.

Such a beauty!!! soo elegant!
what kind of tool did you used for tillering?
cant wait for my elderberry to dry

Please go to: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,41217.0.html
here you can see how it is done

Yep, got some elder myself!!!! Have just made a molly kind of bow out of half of it. Not decided if I am going to leave it as is or do some experimenting - thought of het treating a lot, scraping and reducing draw weight so that I can put some recurve into it, sinewing the back and even putting some horn on the belly a first for me. Any thoughts on the ideas, ever done them with elder?
Not trying to get in the way (again) your bows are just something to aspire to. Elder is great bow wood, I think it is sambucus nigra around here for those of you wondering Thanks once again Yoda simon for your thoughts

Peter

If I were you: no horn on the belly, sinewing works for sure, heat treating also   -  but hard to say without seeing the stave ...

every time i see one of your HLD bows i drool man! such a kool idea, how did you think of trying that? or did you learn from some one. gorgeous bow right there

more or less by accident, I had a stave with very high crown and had the only opportunity to decrown (what I did not want), so I searched for other possibilties  ...  and voila - the HLD was born

Yes Sir Simon!

That's a Beauty!

I Love your HLD Bows...
Will definitely be looking for a Stave or Two to try this design on
once I complete my current Track... Wide/Flat Belly/Molly.... Sort of.  :)

Keep up the Great Work!
I am watching and Learning.

-gus

Yes Gus come on. I'm hungry for what others make out of HLD

Really cool, something I have always wanted to try. Be interesting to put that bow through its paces and see how it performs as opposed to another similar bow. I imagine it would fare well.

Steve, being German I don't understand what you mean with 'put through its paces' ? Do you have a testing idea? What can I do? And yes I'm waiting for a stave which could be split in a half. one for HLD the other conventiaonal design to compare.

All my experience, my feel as a bowmaker, convinces me the HLD is  much more efficiant. I hope I can rent a chrono in summer then I willl do fps measurements on all HLD bows I have.

I will call you Sir Simson from now on  ;)

That is amazing. How does the HLD affect the performance? Are they more or less prone to splitting...?

Thank you and keep em comin.

DuBois, please see answer above. and no, till now no splitting and no chrysals
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline half eye

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2014, 07:23:59 pm »
Simon,
     Very unique bows (HLD) and expertly done. Since you came up with this on your own I thought you might enjoy this Native American bow from the National Museum. It is not like your design but might give you something to think about.
     Absolutely outstanding bows you are making recently. I hope you may find this of some use in your future development.
rich

Offline half eye

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2014, 07:26:02 pm »
sorry, it is the #1 bow in the line up and also the only one that is a "self" bow, meaning it is NOT sinew backed.
rich

mikekeswick

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2014, 05:13:07 am »
Simpson - euonymus europaeus is called spindle here in the UK. I've made a couple of bows from it and it's quite a wood! I just wish I could find more of it.

Offline simson

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2014, 06:15:47 am »
Simon,
     Very unique bows (HLD) and expertly done. Since you came up with this on your own I thought you might enjoy this Native American bow from the National Museum. It is not like your design but might give you something to think about.
     Absolutely outstanding bows you are making recently. I hope you may find this of some use in your future development.
rich

Thanks Rich!
I know this bow and the book too. I had another pic of that type of bows but cannot find it. Thanks for the link to that bow - we should replicate it. It looks very nice and interesting, no really groove but concave on the belly.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline simson

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2014, 06:26:42 am »
Simpson - euonymus europaeus is called spindle here in the UK. I've made a couple of bows from it and it's quite a wood! I just wish I could find more of it.

Yes Mike, spindle is very good bowwood, but most is very bad twisted
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Buckeye Guy

Re: Elder HLD 40/28 (dimensions added p.1)
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2014, 01:25:22 pm »
Another awesome bow !
love what you are doing.
Thanks for sharing it.
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline Holten101

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2014, 03:09:18 pm »
A piece of art:-).

I cant help but think that the flattening out, means that the energy that would otherwise be stored almost exclusivly in compression, is partly stored as transverse tension energy in the belly. That could (to my mind) partly explain why you dont get frets on the ridges. If that is the case then, ill accept that its a more effecient design.

Just thoughts.

Cheers

Don Case

« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2014, 05:41:38 pm »
I was thinking along the same lines, I just couldn't put my thoughts into words. Thank you.

Offline simson

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2014, 12:36:57 pm »
Simon,
rich

Thanks Rich!
I know this bow and the book too. I had another pic of that type of bows but cannot find it. Thanks for the link to that bow - we should replicate it. It looks very nice and interesting, no really groove but concave on the belly.

I found it!
Rich, the picture you posted is out of the book from Mason, right?
I found the pic I looked for, it's in the book from John Baldwin. But it's just the same :(
Thank you, Rich!

A piece of art:-).

I cant help but think that the flattening out, means that the energy that would otherwise be stored almost exclusivly in compression, is partly stored as transverse tension energy in the belly. That could (to my mind) partly explain why you dont get frets on the ridges. If that is the case then, ill accept that its a more effecient design.

Just thoughts.

Cheers

Yes You right, Holten. I see it the same way, but loading more compression in a short high crowned stave means your limited in drawlength. Otherwise you risk compression frets. This bow is 59" ntn, 8" stiff handle and 3" levers. The bending part is only 45", but you could draw it to 28", and that very comfortable. I think this is a huge advantage.

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts!
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline bushboy

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2014, 01:17:16 pm »
your work as a bowyer blows me away!you are a master in my books!wunderbar,ausgeseitnicht!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.