Author Topic: Tiller assist, extra set of eyes would be wonderful  (Read 2187 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Tiller assist, extra set of eyes would be wonderful
« on: January 19, 2014, 01:42:31 pm »
Ok, its been 2 years since I worked a bow...my tillering skills were minimal when I stopped to take a break from bow making so now they feel like I am starting from scratch again.

Here is a 15 second vid of my current Osage, 65" ntn...got it on a "shortish" string and she is pulling 50lbs @20...aiming for 55@28"

If anyone could take a quick look at the vid and help me determine where to remove more wood I'd be really appreciative, nervous of hinges and such and just need a quick refresher course.  Thanks!  Oh, I know the right limb is pulling about an 3/4" to an 1" less than the left limb but I mostly unsure of whether to remove more from the fades or mid limb, etc.

Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIGKCeUM6X8
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline bushboy

Re: Tiller assist, extra set of eyes would be wonderful
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 01:52:40 pm »
looks stiff on the inner left and both outer limbs could move a bit more  IMHO
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 02:37:44 pm »
Take a few long scraps on that left limb and brace it.
Looks good.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 03:55:04 pm »
I think it looks pretty good.  Cant tell what you have it braced at though.
 Video is good but I like stills.  I set the timer on my camera and do my final tiller with me as the tiller tree, I think that shows better how it will look when you shoot it.

Mark

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 04:33:13 pm »
Thanks for the added help Gents...those were my opinions on the limbs as well and sometimes I just need a little concensus to help me feel good about the direction I am heading.

I adjusted the left limb and reduced both limbs mid and feel they are moving in unison and looking much better.

MDS65, I have it braced at about 2" currently.

She is drawing 50@22" now.

I had to heat correct one of the limbs just a touch to keep the string centered on the limb as it was favoring one side by a heavy 1/8" to light 1/4" and now I'm letting it cool til morning.

Anyone have a rough estimate on poundage gain if I moved to 24", 26" and 28"?  My scale only goes to 50lbs and I am shooting for 55lb-ish @ 28" but done want to come in too light.

Thanks!!!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline Mark Smeltzer

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 04:58:07 pm »
Not sure about the poundage but I would get it to full brace before I made any more adjustments.

Mark

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 05:07:08 pm »
Thanks Mark, I'll do that...
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold