Author Topic: 80" White Elm Warbow Build-along  (Read 60729 times)

Offline adb

Re: 80" White Elm Warbow Build-along
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2014, 06:21:16 pm »
I'm guessing that's the bottom nock? That looks great! Your horn to limb transition looks very smooth. Well done Grasshoppa! I'm glad to see you getting this bow done, so we can go shoot it soon. Too bad the weather's gone to shite, but next weekend is shaping up to be decent.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #76 on: May 04, 2014, 09:09:02 pm »
Unfortunately I still haven't been able to give this girl her field trial, hopefully I'll be able to get out with it sometime this week.

I put it on the tiller tree today, and plotted a force-draw graph.  It gave a pretty consistent 5lbs/inch of draw length, right up until the last inch of draw, where it started to stack.  I can't wait to see what she can do.

Here's a picture of the needle on the scale wrapping around back to zero ;)

And the final full draw tiller (115lbs@32"):

I'll post a few glamor shots once the last coat of finish dries.

P.S. - I also discovered a new favorite bow-making beverage... seems appropriate  8)

« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 09:18:59 pm by Cameroo »

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2014, 02:25:13 am »
Great thread! Beautiful bow amigo!!
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline WillS

« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2014, 06:31:43 am »
Great work dude, sensational tiller shape.  Can't believe you've only just discovered Strongbow.  They serve it extra cold in the pubs here.  Nothing better!

Offline Badger

« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2014, 11:28:03 am »
  Ditto what Wills said. I love the tiller shape. I would expect you will come very close to 300 yards with the livery arrow(750 grains approx??)

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2014, 02:45:44 pm »
Awesome bow!
Awesome beer!

Awesome all around!!!  ;D

Very nice tiller, perfect!

"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline Ian.

« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2014, 07:21:56 pm »
  Ditto what Wills said. I love the tiller shape. I would expect you will come very close to 300 yards with the livery arrow(750 grains approx??)

That's awfully ambitious, I would expect more like 230. The FD curve may suggest less.

Lovely tiller shape. Do keep us updated!
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #82 on: May 05, 2014, 08:25:35 pm »
Thanks guys!

That's awfully ambitious, I would expect more like 230. The FD curve may suggest less.

That's kinda what I was thinking - around 230, and that's assuming I can yank it back the entire 32 inches!  Also, I think livery arrows are closer to 1000 grains, aren't they? 

Anyway, I'll be sure to update with it's performance as soon as I can. Who knows, maybe it will surprise us? I have a laser range finder so I'll be able to measure the distance quite precisely.  All of my arrows are around 80 grams (around 1200 grains), so hopefully I can get Adam out with me and use some of his lighter ones.

Offline Badger

« Reply #83 on: May 05, 2014, 10:55:01 pm »
  I was thinking of the lighter around 750 grain arrow, not sure what they call that one. 230 with the 1,000 grain arrow would be a good shot.

Offline dmc

« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2014, 02:29:57 am »
Very nice Cam! Looking forward to seeing it next month. Way to go!!
Carpe Diem- Seize the Day!!

Offline Ian.

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2014, 09:00:30 am »
The Standard arrow is 800 grain (52 gram). Though even then based on the bow I wouldn't expect it go go massively more than the bigger arrow. Just the limb speed of these bows means most arrows unless in the extremes will go near enough the same distance. My guess 240-50 would be a good shot with a Standard arrow out of this bow.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #86 on: May 11, 2014, 07:43:01 am »
Looks really good.  I didn't see a picture of the bow unbraced.  Did the bow take uniform set?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #87 on: May 11, 2014, 09:05:39 am »
nice pics, great tiller and FD curve. :laugh:
Del
That scale shows zero at 31".. is that some sort of let off like a compound?  ;) ::) >:D
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #88 on: May 11, 2014, 07:13:01 pm »
That scale shows zero at 31".. is that some sort of let off like a compound?  ;) ::) >:D

Yup, it's a new cam development, with 100% let-off  :)

Here's an unbraced profile Marc.  The lower limb appears to have a little more set in the outer limb, but it's hard to say if it took even set, since there were a few tip alignment corrections during the tillering, and some mild reflex would have been added to portions of the limbs in the process.

I wiped on some stain (actually, it is an antique gel made for leather) to the belly before applying the finish, because I wanted the grain to "pop" a little bit more, and it also gave it a two-tone effect (wannabe-yew ;) )

Offline WillS

« Reply #89 on: May 11, 2014, 07:19:18 pm »
Beautiful Cam.  Real nice job!