Author Topic: "The Hoosiers" and Osage  (Read 7593 times)

Offline paoliguy

Re: "The Hoosiers" and Osage
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2014, 01:56:40 pm »
My mom's family is from Bedford.  I believe my Grandpa graduated from Oolitic High School?  Wanna do some exploring around there this summer.  Maybe I'll nock on your door Clint!

If you guys head up that way check out old highway 37 north of Oolitic. There's a limestone quarry that has overtaken part of it now but there used to be Osage on both north and south sides of the quarry. Been a long time since I was up there but you used to be able to walk up the old railroad around that quarry and there was Osage - o - plenty. I wasn't into bows back then and had no clue what good Hedgeapples are!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2014, 03:04:34 pm »
I was getting "Breaking Away" and "Hoosiers" mixed up. Hoosiers, not filmed in Bloomington.  Breaking Away, partially filmed in Bloomington. I do remember the Nineveh Gym before they tore it down though. Not too far from where I worked @ Job Corps.   
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2014, 03:17:33 pm »
Looks like the osage tree scene was filmed in Danville.  I even found the exact street address of the farm. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline the barkman

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2014, 04:26:02 pm »
'Maclura pomifera' :

"Horse-high, bull-strong, hog-deep!"

Offline Parnell

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2014, 04:57:19 pm »
My mom's family is from Bedford.  I believe my Grandpa graduated from Oolitic High School?  Wanna do some exploring around there this summer.  Maybe I'll nock on your door Clint!

If you guys head up that way check out old highway 37 north of Oolitic. There's a limestone quarry that has overtaken part of it now but there used to be Osage on both north and south sides of the quarry. Been a long time since I was up there but you used to be able to walk up the old railroad around that quarry and there was Osage - o - plenty. I wasn't into bows back then and had no clue what good Hedgeapples are!

I come from a long line of stone masons, literally, they kept records of ancestory going back to the 1200's.  My great grandfather lost his leg in the quarry there.  That would be a very cool goal to get staves from there...
1’—>1’

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2014, 05:49:25 pm »
Okay, if you guys locate that farm and the row of Osage, I get one good stave as finder fees... ;D
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline TRACY

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2014, 06:33:19 pm »
Indiana has the best osage in the country, at least I think so! Ive used from maybe 5-6 states and I can sure tell Indiana wood from the more southern states.

8)
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2014, 06:21:13 pm »
" "Horse-high, bull-strong, hog-deep!"" Yea, that's it. I like that saying.

(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline paoliguy

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 11:01:56 am »

I come from a long line of stone masons, literally, they kept records of ancestory going back to the 1200's.  My great grandfather lost his leg in the quarry there.  That would be a very cool goal to get staves from there...

When I can get up that way again I will root around a bit. If there is anything still there and I can get my hands on anything -  the first stave goes to Parnell.

Offline Parnell

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 12:06:36 pm »
I'd greatly appreciate it!  Let me know what you find!
1’—>1’