Author Topic: Congratulations to Stringman for winning January Self BOM!!!  (Read 6335 times)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Congratulations to Stringman for winning January Self BOM!!!
« on: February 26, 2014, 04:25:16 pm »
Congratulations to Scott Stanberry (Stringman) for winning January Self BOM with his First Osage static!!!

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,43748.msg

Here is what Scott had to say of his build:  I was asked to try my hand at building a static and accepted the challenge on the condition that expectations were low. The more I watch the true craftsman on here the lower I rate my own skills. Still I was up for the challenge and set off to learn something new.  I was super antsy about the next step cause I've never tried hooks this severe, but after talking it over with Chris I got out the pot and started boiling some water. As it turns out, my nervousness was unfounded... This was much easier than I thought. After the steamed in hooks had several days to rest I began the slow process of tillering. I had already floor tillered before, but the statics had added a whole new level of problems. I was extremely focused on keeping this an honest 50 pounder and so there were a lot of extra exercise sessions. In the end I was right on target and my patience was rewarded.  For tips, I cut a couple pieces from a blonde water buffalo horn and glued them up. These 2 happen to have more dark in them than I had first expected, but still a very nice fit!  Next step was skins and after much discussion this beautiful set of blotched water snakes was chosen.  Left was the sanding (and sanding, and sanding...) then finish was applied, and the bow was shot in. Turned out to be one of the hardest hitting 50# bows I've made. No nonsense about her, if she wasn't already committed, I would be keepin her. 66" overall and 50# @ 28".  Well I don't have an updated FD shot but this one is close. I have since worked the outters a bit to get them moving a touch more. If the recipient wants to post a final FD I will let him.  Thanks to everyone, for the words of encouragement! Truly means a lot to be acknowledged from this group of folks.   This was a fun project!! Thanks for looking and God Bless! 

Here are a few comments from the forum members: 
Wow Scott!! Just wow amigo  Folks that bow is headed my way!! On here over time Scott and I have developed a great friendship. A kinship based on the love of primitive skills, family, kids and life in general.. I'm not a talker  but we text often and it's a great friendship. When Blackhawk posted a static for trade a while back I asked Scott if he had ever made a static recurve.. He said no..

I sat on the idea for sometime then brought it up again. Scott said I haven't made one, but I can sure try. We worked out a deal. At first we thought spotted king snake skins, but then I thawed these skins and Scott and I knew it should be blotched. I sent him the sets and told him to pick his set out of the two and to put the other on the static..

Wouldn't you know he put the prettier one on my bow. That's just the type of guy he is. Then one day he asked if I wanted exotic wood or buffalo horn.. No question.. Horn.. He was happy to hear it. Then came naming her. I asked if he had a name. No.. Do I.. I thought on it.. I said Navidad.. Christmas in spanish. He said he wanted something in Spanish, but also something that conveyed our friendship.

I thought on it.. Amistad means friend in Spanish. Arco de Amistad. Literal translation is Bow of friends or as it translates-- friendship bow.

The challenge to build a static recurve, the master bow, every detail of it and the wiliness to put his best talents both God given and made by nature makes this a truly special gift and and even more special of a bow deserving of her name.

I've always wanted a static Osage bow and this Christmas that's what I'm getting!! Wow.. Life is good!! Can't hardly wait until she gets here.

Scott, my only question is do I wait until Christmas to open the package?  Cipriano

Sounds like a fantastic friendship, congrats..............  DBar

This post made me happy. Heck of a bow.   Gabe

Like that one. Nice shape and the combination of osage, snake skin and buffalo horn overlay tips are awesome. :-)  Bowman

that bow speaks for your talent.very nicely done.  Ohma2

Beautiful work man, that's a fine specimen!  Kwikdraw

« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 04:27:17 pm by criveraville »
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Aaron H

Re: Congratulations to Stringman for winning January Self BOM!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:03:48 pm »
congrats man, what a beautiful bow

Offline Alaska Hunter

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 07:26:19 pm »
oh man, that is one beautiful bow. Well done.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 06:29:13 am »
Congrats,beautiful bow. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 04:10:47 pm »
congrats scott. that is a great bow.

Stringman

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:06:29 pm »
Thanks for the kind words!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 08:18:18 pm »
Sweet bow. I dig the bare grip

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 09:56:50 pm »
Congrats nice bow.