Author Topic: What bamboo shafts should I buy online?  (Read 23938 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: What bamboo shafts should I buy online?
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 04:50:50 pm »
You can taper either end with a good taper tool. Treat them just like parallel wood shafting.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 04:01:01 pm »
With a glue on point you shouldn't need the sinew wrap. For trade and stone points, you do.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 04:50:26 pm »
Sounds good guys.  I used the sinew to make the diameter bigger to match the points more snugly.  The arrow flew quite well btw!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 10:06:27 pm »
Hey...I sell that stuff.  Just saying...Gimme a call.  Todd Mathis/Khansarrows.com.   210-797-1900...
Sorry guys........  I just couldn't resist...don't hate me.

Offline Todd Mathis

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2019, 10:14:05 pm »
I found this general recommendation on bambooarrows site.  Sounds like a good rule of thumb to me!

English Longbow archers will know that they may generally shoot an arrow aprox 10# lower, so a 35-40# shaft at 28 inches will suit a 45-50lb longbow.
I find this to be excellent advice by the way....  Todd Mathis.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2019, 11:36:07 pm »
Hey...I sell that stuff.  Just saying...Gimme a call.  Todd Mathis/Khansarrows.com.   210-797-1900...
Sorry guys........  I just couldn't resist...don't hate me.
Come now, Todd, you do sponsor the section after all!  We may lash you with wet noodles, but we won't hate you - much >:D (SH) (lol) (lol).  Btw, welcome to PA!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2019, 10:42:43 am »
Do you find that bamboo shafts tend to lean on the light side for hunting? I have some i added a box nail in the tip that weight 37 grains and it pushed the total weight over 500 grains. Without the nail they are high 4602 to 470ish. Seems a little light for hunting.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanstan

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2019, 11:32:52 am »
you normally want 10 gpp (grains per pound (on the bow)) for hunting. so it depends on the bow. so if you have a 50# bow use a 500 grain arrow. 47 pound bow 470 grain arrow and so forth
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline razorsharptokill

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2019, 04:12:18 pm »
Yeah I like at least 10 gr per pound for hunting. The cane being hollow, it is hard to get to that weight without adding weight inside or going to a 200 grain broadhead it seems.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq)
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanstan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 05:29:49 pm »
The arrow I posted on the hill cane thread is 27" to behind the point and weighs in at 610gr. The head is heavy(195gr) but most of my cane arrows are between 500gr to 550gr, ideal for my 45# to 55# bows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline artcher1

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2019, 06:49:49 pm »
Pat, are you the one that sent me the Bambusa (Gracillis I believe)? They made some of the finest bamboo arrows I ever produced. I gifted those to Neil Anderson.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2019, 09:43:13 pm »
Yes, Art. It is Bambusa multiplex, a clumping type of bamboo. My friend in Bluffton SC has a hedge of bambusa. The long internodes(12" to 15", 2 nodes per arrow), perfectly round culm, no sulcus, thick walls and minimal nodes. I still have a piece or 2 in the basement. I may even have a bambusa arrow you or I made. I think it would be a good bamboo for split bamboo fly rods too.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2019, 07:10:23 am »
I fill the tip and nock node with thin pieces of rivercane. Depending on the size of the node it will add weight to the spine and weight to the shaft. Also allows a stronger nock and a more secure broadhead will a smaller chance of splitting.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2019, 08:42:37 am »
I stopped filling the void at both ends of a cane shaft years ago. It just isn't necessary. I haft trade and stone points and commercial glue on points and make self nocks. The sinew wrap at the self nock is plenty strong enough as it is at the point end and if I taper the point end to accept a glue on point that taper goes inside the socket, preventing it from splitting.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2019, 09:50:04 am »
I stopped filling the void at both ends of a cane shaft years ago. It just isn't necessary. I haft trade and stone points and commercial glue on points and make self nocks. The sinew wrap at the self nock is plenty strong enough as it is at the point end and if I taper the point end to accept a glue on point that taper goes inside the socket, preventing it from splitting.

Yeah im not so worried about it splitting but I do take it into consideration. my shoots are barely marked for 45# and maybe my bow shouldn't even be spined to it but im just trying to get the weight up and the spine. i feel it helps raise the spine a ok amount. I dont have a spine tester but i do see a difference.

I was given 6 arrows from clint and im now down to 3. 2 of them slipped right under my grass and one broke. i found one that slipped under the grass but that was while i was trying to find the other one that went under!  (lol) it lost the fletching and the tip is rusted but i can use it for bear shaft tuning by bow!