Author Topic: yew takedown  (Read 34529 times)

Offline burchett.donald

Re: yew takedown
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2014, 09:54:05 am »
  Make sure your upper fade is moving, looks slightly stiffer in the above graphs. This could be causing your set...The 4" brace graph...
                                                                                                                                            Don
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 09:57:35 am by burchett.donald »
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Richard B

« Reply #61 on: December 22, 2014, 05:26:09 pm »
Don,
Yes at that stage there was a little too much thickness around the fades. I thinned them out and I think they are both moving enough in the later photo (26" draw). One thought about possible cause of set. I locally steamed that area of the limb before I started tillering. Could that have weakened the wood slightly in that area?

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #62 on: December 22, 2014, 06:13:35 pm »
 Richard,
              I don't think steam would weaken it, wood does crazy things though...I must say that is a beautiful takedown, hope to see detailed pics soon...
                                                                                                                           Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2014, 08:33:45 pm »
Re: take-down sleeves, I have done ten or twelve take-downs and a little movement back and forth is not a problem, at brace and while you are shooting it won't affect anything, unbraced it doesn't matter, and it won't get any worse. I have an osage, static recurve that I have been shooting for 15+ years and it has a slight back and froth movement unbraced, no problems at all when shooting.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.

Offline Richard B

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2015, 01:45:52 pm »
Applied rawhide backing using liquid hide glue and wrapping in bandages. Wasn't sure that the rawhide would follow all the bumps and dips, but seems to have worked out well.

The rawhide stretched about 1" in length (over a 36" limb length) and has pulled some of the reflex back into the upper limb as it dried and contracted again. It will be interesting to see what happens to this when it goes back on the tiller.

Next, plan to fit horn tip overlays. I have shaped the ends at an angle so that the tip overlay will fit over a bit of the rawhide (the tapered bit) - see photo below.

Offline Richard B

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2015, 11:27:07 am »
Horn nocks fitted and back to tillering. Length reduced by 1" to 70"  NTN which, combined with the rawhide backing (?) means that I am now back to 50 lbs at 23 inches, which gives me a little room to play with the tiller to get me to 55 lbs at 28". Photo below shows current tiller superimposed on target curve for 28".

The reflex that came from applying the rawhide has disappeared after exercising a few dozen times on the tiller.

Think I might shoot a few arrows at 23" draw and see how it settles down before I take any more wood off.....
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 11:31:29 am by Richard B »

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2015, 01:49:31 pm »
Looks very good.
I would tiller that baby to desired length and then shooting in.
Only a few scrapes to do ...
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Richard B

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2015, 10:49:41 am »
Took quite a few scrapes to get it to 55 lbs at 27 inches (photo below). When braced the upper limb has about 1/4" more tiller than the lower limb, which is about where I want it to be. At 27" draw the upper limb is pretty close to my target curve and the lower limb is a bit stiff. However my spreadsheet assumes a symmetrical bow and mine is not (upper limb 1 inch longer than lower limb)- plan to modify the spreadsheet to allow for this at some point. So I think I need to scrape a bit off both limbs to bring me to 28" draw.

Before I started tillering I steamed the lower limb to remove some of the twist and about 1" of deflex. The twist removal has stayed in, but the deflex is back.

Do others find this happens?

I suppose its not that surprizing since steaming allows one to compress the fibres in the back easily to remove the deflex, so one might expect the fibres to stretch out again as they are exercised on the tiller.

Offline Benedikt

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2015, 11:25:39 am »
Could have told you before.....  :P

If you steam something and let it bend later in the direction you bent it after steaming, your bent will dissapear.
A dream is not reality, but who is to say which is which?

Offline Richard B

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2015, 12:22:20 pm »
Benedikt,
Yes seems obvious now. Although, how do people manage to get steamed reflexed tips to last ?

Offline sieddy

• Guaranga! :)
« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2015, 05:34:51 pm »
Even if it does have a touch of deflex in one limb. That baby looks freaking awesome!   :D
"No man ever broke his bow but another man found a use for the string" Irish proverb

Offline Richard B

« Reply #71 on: February 01, 2015, 12:57:40 pm »
Arrived at final tiller of 55lbs at 28 inches :). Stringfollow after exercising limbs and shooting a dozen arrows is just over 1" at each end. For the lower limb that equates to the return of the deflex I (mistakenly, see above :-[)) thought I could steam out. The upper limb originally had about 1 inch of reflex, so I have lost 2 inches here, all in the middle of the limb where I did some localized steaming of the stave (so that seems to have weakened the wood a bit in that area).

Next thought I might put some snakeskins over the rawhide. Is is a good idea to degrease and abrade the surface of the rawhide first?

Offline simson

« Reply #72 on: February 01, 2015, 01:44:51 pm »
Good work! Let's see that beauty drawn by hand.
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #73 on: February 01, 2015, 04:14:53 pm »
Yes, drawn by hand with an arrow on the string please!  :)
Looking very nice Richard. Getting steam bent yew to stay put almost always requires doing a little follow up dry-heating to temper the belly a bit. that usually does the trick. 

Yew longbows seem to shrug off a little string follow like it is nothing. They still shoot very snappy and have the forgiveness of a stringfollow bow. i wouldn't worry about an inch or even two of stringfollow on that bow. 
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #74 on: February 01, 2015, 05:58:09 pm »
Looks good!  but yes....that bow is begging for an archer to pull back on it and show all it's glory!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?