Author Topic: yew takedown  (Read 34571 times)

Offline alwayslookin

Re: yew takedown
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2015, 11:34:10 am »
That turned out great. Congrats I can't wait to do a takedown one day.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2015, 01:46:52 pm »
Great compromise on the transition into the sleeves. I think you made the right decision about having the wood flow into the handle but the cork covered with leather is a perfect solution for the aesthetics. I'll use that in the future if I ever forget what a pain in the @$$ takedown sleeves are and do them again.  ;)

Offline Richard B

« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2015, 02:28:42 pm »
Pacco664, full draw picture in in Devon in the UK, not particularly tropical!

Weylin, Thanks for the comment. Great to think I have managed to come up with something of interest to a master bowyer like yourself!

Was aware that it was a bit of an ambitious project for a second bow and didn't want to destroy the lovely pair of billets from Carson! Spent a long time building this one, but have learned a lot on the way, lots from you guys on this forum, so many thanks. Not perfect, but ended up with a bow that shoots nicely and looks the way I wanted it to.

Some of the main things I picked up for the future were:

1.The importance of monitoring set during tillering. I followed the method set out in one of the TBB volumes where you pull the bow to max draw weight at each stage and then shave wood to maintain an even curvature and gradually increase draw length up to the required amount (see the tillering pics in my earlier posts to see how this worked). In my limited experience, this seems to guarantee hitting the required draw weight at the required draw length. However, I think I could have done better with set. I am happy with the overall amount of permanent set (about 1 inch on each limb), however it is a bit uneven along the limbs - which means some parts are working harder that others (not particularly efficient and may have implications for the life of the bow?). Towards the end of the tillering process I compared the limb profiles with the original (traced on a piece of paper, and in photoshop) just after bending. This way I could see exactly where set was occurring, and by avoiding these areas when scraping off material to increase draw length (at the same draw weight) avoid any further set occurring in these areas. Unfortunately I had already got a bit of uneven set at that stage, which I think I could have avoided if I had monitored more carefully earlier.

2.First Brace: I think some of the earlier set may have occurred when trying to brace the bow for the first time. With a stretchy dacron string, had to bend it beyond the braced curvature to get the string on and may have overloaded it in doing so. Doing this first bracing a bit later and in a more controlled manner with a stringer (so as to make sure it was not loaded beyond the target draw and was evenly bent) might have worked better.

3.Steaming out deflex: Tried on the lower limb, to even up with the top limb. Didn't work. Not surprizing really, since steaming works by allowing you to bend the wood by compressing wood fibres. If you do this to steam out deflex, you are compressing fibres on the back of the bow, which then just stretch out again as you stress them under tension when tillering. It might work doing this on a non working part of the bow (e.g. flipped tips), I guess, but not in highly stressed areas? Interested in others views on this one.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 02:42:28 pm by Richard B »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2015, 03:25:20 pm »
nice work,, the sting follow may be having little effect on the performance,,,, especially if the mass of the bow is at a minimum,, a bow that is dead even, but too much mass is still not shooting its best(appearance can be deceiving),,,, test your bow for distance or through a chrono to see how she does,, and you can tell what effect the set is having if any,,, :)

Offline Richard B

« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2015, 03:33:47 pm »
sounds like a good plan. Now need to get hold of a chrono... :)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #95 on: March 26, 2015, 08:00:00 am »
Been watching, turned out really nice. great job in all aspects. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #96 on: March 26, 2015, 09:39:55 am »
Part of the set simply comes from design. 70" might seem long, but for a yew bow of narrow, stacked limb and a stiff take-down handle, that is pushing it to get 55# at 28" It would be ideal with more of a bend that flows through the handle section.

That said, what an incredible second bow. Don't let 1" of set bug you. It happens.
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Richard B

« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2015, 06:47:25 am »
Carson,
I think you might be right. I went for just under 1.5" wide out of the fades and continued this width out to about half the length of the limb, but a bit more length might have helped. Thou, as you say 1" set not the end of the world. If fact there is very little string follow. The upper limb is dead straight (having lost its original reflex) and the lower limb hasnt gone much beyond its original, pre steaming, deflex.
So if you didnt know what shape it was to start with...

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2015, 02:34:48 pm »
A fine looking and very elegant bow Sir.
Are you SURE this is just your second bow...?  ???
 ;)