Author Topic: The Vine Maple Bow: A Build-Along  (Read 42865 times)

Offline Billinthedesert

Re: The Vine Maple Bow: A Build-Along
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2014, 01:02:59 pm »
Very eagerly awaiting the next chapter!

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #91 on: November 16, 2014, 01:49:22 pm »
Nice, VM is becoming my favourite bowwood. Maybe because I have a shed full.
I will be following this for sure

Keep it safe!  I had a garage full of elm, until a little borer of some kind that I've never had trouble with before showed up and ate it all.  And they ate some plum, some yellow locust (just into the sapwood, thankfully), and some MAPLE.  Mine was Great Basin canyon maple, and my climate is different, but whatever this is doesn't seem to picky about specie.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #92 on: November 16, 2014, 02:08:36 pm »
Even before I did the burnishing I've never had a bow lift a splinter. I know that sounds obsured. I've had bows come in underweight and I've had a couple explode. But making sure your back is baby butt smooth is an important step:)

I can't credit bnurnishing, but I haven't broken many bows, either.  My first 20 or so all survived.  But I sure made a LOT of kids' bows back then!

So, I'm late to the party, but as an old hat, I am both learning and noticing things on your build.  A few comments ok?

Gopod to know ipe can be bent.  I gave up pre-bending tropicals, but will try again.

I am NOT good at the thickness layout thing where you scribe the line.   I have to use a caliper or homemade spanner for initial layout.  Probably because I mostly work with lumpy sapling staves of small diameter.  But, any tips? 

And, also because of the 3" dia sapling thing, I usually just try to start with straight bark on a tree, and lay the bow out following the crown more than the grain.  Any tips for following grain on a white, non-grainy wood like V-maple?

Burnishing helps.  I learned to do it before tillering on some elm staves with pin knots and stick-ups, and it helps.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #93 on: November 16, 2014, 02:14:32 pm »
Regarding Vine maple curling up.

I find this terribly common on all white woods, if you cut a small log, sapling or branch.  Elm and plum do it something awful, warping every which way, even if I leave them full width.

I have learned to CLAMP wood to dry, with shims and "hard" clamps like C-clamps, or even big nails pounded in and bent over. And I count on clamping it firmly as I heat treat it

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #94 on: November 16, 2014, 02:18:09 pm »
I think Bryce has a lot on his plate at home right now.  I'm sure he'll get back to this (I'm looking forward to it also), but last time I heard from him he seemed pretty busy. Gabe

This happens to me EVERY time I start a cool project!

Offline randman

« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2014, 02:34:16 pm »
after about 4 hours and a couple more pickles, im going to set the bend with dry eat. a light temper.

Sure is a lota eatin goin on in this build.  ;)
So when you "dry eat" do you just eat a lot of pickles without drinking fluid afterward? Just pickles or will sandwiches work
better? Does it work with any wood or just Vine Maple?

Hmmmm. I'll have to try that on my next bow.....    >:D   
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2014, 02:56:16 pm »
I think Bryce has a lot on his plate at home right now.  I'm sure he'll get back to this (I'm looking forward to it also), but last time I heard from him he seemed pretty busy. Gabe

This happens to me EVERY time I start a cool project!

I have my shop put back together and will be returning to this build the first part of December.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #97 on: November 16, 2014, 03:09:53 pm »
Great to hear Bryce.  How has everything been going.  Hope all is well.  Good luck on finals :)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #98 on: November 17, 2014, 01:21:40 am »
Good, to see you back Bryce! Hope you're doing well! I know how that school stuff goes! I graduated 1.5 years ago and I didn't know what to do with myself for a while. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #99 on: November 17, 2014, 10:54:57 am »
Regarding Vine maple curling up.

I find this terribly common on all white woods, if you cut a small log, sapling or branch.  Elm and plum do it something awful, warping every which way, even if I leave them full width.

I have learned to CLAMP wood to dry, with shims and "hard" clamps like C-clamps, or even big nails pounded in and bent over. And I count on clamping it firmly as I heat treat it

I've never worked with vine maple, ...but I found a good solution for the curling warping issue with drying white woods.  ...and it serves as a good way to justify my holding on to some of the old junk in my garage I just couldn't bring myself to throw away - thru multiple moves and garage cleanings.  Old bed frames are basically angle iron with some doo-dads hanging off of them.  I always thought I'd find a use for them - but never did.  So, now I do! ...I knock the casters off and then bind a wet/green stave or bow blank into the angle iron.  It even allows me to pull some of the natural bend and twist of the stave out of it as it dries.  If you haven't been carting around a half dozen of these like I have for last couple decades, - they are usually pretty easy to come by at yard sales and such. 

OneBow