Author Topic: Chet Stevenson static  (Read 6475 times)

Offline Eric Krewson

Chet Stevenson static
« on: May 27, 2014, 12:42:30 pm »
Been playing in the shop, always admired the bows in Chet Stevenson's book "From The Den Of the Old Bowhunter". These tightly bent short statics intrigue me so out with the heat gun yesterday. I bent some similar static recurves in an osage bow blank, got a little cracking but nothing I can't fix with a underlay.

I am unsure about how narrow to make the tips. Anybody make one of these short, tightly bent statics?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Chet Stevenson static
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 12:46:44 pm »
5/8" for now Eric. Narrow them down to 1/2" later. Ive made several. Matter of fact, short, tight statics is the only way Ill make them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 01:55:08 pm »
On a lot of the Chet bows I've held, the tips where usually a little wider and thin. And they looked as though they where wrapped around a coffee mug.
And I didn't see any underlays.
Carson has examined more of his bows than me and I'm sure he'll chime in soon.

I've gotten bends like Chet by soaking and boiling

Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 04:55:00 pm »
Now that is a bend!

Mine is a bit shorter. Turns out my cracking filed away so no need for an underlay. I am playing around with some long nock overlays for looks and strength. I am making this up as I go.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 05:40:57 pm »
With an underlay the curve won't pull out, as it would without one.

What wood are you using?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 06:43:07 pm »
Ive never used an underlay. No pull outs as far as I know. Hackberry, elm, yew and osage.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:53:42 pm »
Eric,
I'm not familiar with Chet Stevensons statics.  I have make a few static's with tight bends, and have found that any amount of tip pasted the string lifting from the limb at full draw is just extra weight.  Their very smooth drawing all the way to full draw, no stack. But, IMO, I think the string should lift off the limb and inch from full draw. 

Bryce, with those hooks going past 90 deg's ....to get the string to lift off the limb, the bow would have to be very short with a very long draw, causing major finger pinch.

The next static I have in mind, will have a very sharp bend radius with about 3" of straight length tip to the nock.  Having the string lift off of the 3" straight at 1" from full draw.

Again just my thoughts,
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Pat B.

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 07:15:02 pm »
That reminds of some advice an old fella gave me once, "avoid extremes".....
Friends are the family we choose

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 08:20:55 pm »
Great notes Bill. It sums up my opinions as well.

Don Case

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 08:28:24 pm »
Wouldn't anything past the string lift-off point at full draw just be adding weight where it isn't wanted? If you can understand what I mean :P

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2014, 08:32:46 pm »
That type of recurve was very popular back in the day. Grumley, Stevenson and Bob Martin all liked those hooks or sharp angles.
 I don't know if old timers avoiding extremes is true.
 Remember all the flight records from back then are with extreme statics that people are reluctant to make now and yet we can't come within 100 yards of their records.
 I have an old Instinctive Archer Mag with a Stevenson article with lots of pics of his static tipped bows. Baleen backed in some cases.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 08:43:36 pm »
Baleen? Isn't that part of a whale? ???
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 09:38:00 pm »
Just did a little research on Chet Stevenson bows.................Know what they are now, I really like those statics, statics have been around a long time.   ???  Looks like his bows had very small radius bends, and some of them had deflex designed into them with the biggest hooks which would allow the string to lift closer to the tips.
Very interesting..............makes me want to start another.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 09:53:37 pm »
Baleen? Isn't that part of a whale? ???
Of course. Quite popular as a backing and belly material when it was available.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2014, 12:18:47 am »
My bow is osage.