Author Topic: Syringa character bow (updated)  (Read 53073 times)

Offline Keenan

Re: Syringa character bow (updated)
« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2008, 03:31:49 am »
  Thanks Phil, I plan on writing a note at the end about my thoughts and findings on syringa.
   Here are some pics of the skin with a few coats of finish. I'm just using spray on polyeurothane on these. With the bone flake on the skins it makes it hard to do true oils or other things without getting the cloth particles caught in the bone flake.  This is just a few coats with more to come.  Keenan

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Gordon

« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2008, 03:38:57 am »
Oh boy that sure is looking good! You got the touch for sure.
Gordon

Rich Saffold

« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2008, 10:14:12 pm »
That is some wild looking wood Keenan. You sure got a beauty out of it..

Rich

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2008, 01:35:39 am »
  Thanks Phil, I plan on writing a note at the end about my thoughts and findings on syringa.
   Here are some pics of the skin with a few coats of finish. I'm just using spray on polyeurothane on these. With the bone flake on the skins it makes it hard to do true oils or other things without getting the cloth particles caught in the bone flake.  This is just a few coats with more to come.  Keenan
just a thought Keenan on syringa...we must remember that you took some of the most challenging staves to do your build-a-long and the other bow from. just as in other woods, the cleaner and least challenging the stave, the better the bow. we have found out that the nodes can be a problem area in that they can have imperfections or hollow spots which can cause splinters. :-\ but overall the wood lends itself to be a very good bow-wood. we talked about sinew backing which I believe could result in a extremely fast bow. my hats off to you for your daring :D in attempting to create a bow from such a challenging piece of wood, especially since so little was known about its quality. we have to do more experiments to find out what type of bow this wood is best suited for. just like osage makes a poor ELB, this wood may lend itself to more of a flatbow style. you did an outstanding job on both of the bows I saw and I think the other readers feel the same. keep up the good work.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2008, 02:35:16 am »
 Dave thank you, I think you hit the nail on the head with that statement. All woods have there better designs and differing quallities, and as we endever to try new things we learn. I would agree that syringa would probably be an incredibly good wood to do a shorter flat sinew backed bow,,, ;D ;D ;D So are we racing or do ya already have my next shorty  built >:D >:D  Keenan

Thanks Gordon and Rich

Offline Keenan

« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2008, 11:28:18 pm »
Haven't pick this one up for a while due to work and other projects but here is an update. With the skins fully cured and several coats of finish on here is a braced and full draw pic.
 I've learned that I'm a lousy shot left handed and don't think I want to pursue trying to get any better. :-[
  With all the dips, dives and curves it's hard to get pics to look right. I haven't wieghed this yet, and thought it would be fairly light but it has picked up a few pounds from the skins. 
 Don this one isn't done yet so not for BOM please. Thanks  Keenan

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2008, 11:37:06 pm »
that turned out nice! great job on such a challenging piece of wood.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2008, 01:07:29 pm »
 Thanks JJ, It's amasing the difference of color in this one from using the underside of the sturgeon here is a comparison pick. Keenan

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2008, 01:25:37 pm »
Keenan, This bow is as good as it gets...and what this site is all about. Anyone can take a piece of osage, hickory, etc and make a good, well crafted bow but to take a relatively unknown wood with tons of character and make any kind of a serviceable bow is incredible. You have taken this to an entirely new level! 8) Seeing this process from the beginning really gets the creative juices flowing. Thanks for sharing the process and the finished product. It is an inspiration to the novice and veterans alike. 8)     Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Keenan

« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2008, 04:49:12 pm »
 Pat thank you. Your words of encouragement mean more then you know. There were many times where I wanted to give up on this one and thought myself to be a vain fool for thinking it could become a bow.
 It was the encouragement and confidence that you and a few others had given early on that gave me the tenacity to complete this one.   :)  Keenan

Offline DanaM

« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2008, 07:42:02 pm »
Keenan well done I will be looking at the neighbors Lilac bushes soon >:D

Did I mention I can shoot lefty ::)  ;D
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Dingleberry

« Reply #116 on: March 31, 2008, 11:15:36 am »
Just finished reading your build-a-long.  I'm kinda speechless.  Thanks for the education. :)

Offline Keenan

« Reply #117 on: March 31, 2008, 11:14:17 pm »
 Thanks Dana and Dingleberry, I'm a sucker for character. Keenan

Offline juniper junkie

« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2008, 12:20:51 am »
Thanks Dana and Dingleberry, I'm a sucker for character. Keenan
TRUE STORY ;D