Author Topic: Syringa character bow (updated)  (Read 53606 times)

Offline John K

Re: Syringa character bow (updated)
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2008, 12:26:19 am »
Looking great Keenan ! The Sturgeon skin is really going to look nice  :o

Thanks for the build along, i've learned a lot already  ;D
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Keenan

« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2008, 12:33:51 am »
  I had a long interupting phone call and forgot about the skins in the water on the stove.  The results are curled up and cooked skins that are ruined. Opps  >:(
  Cooled down the water and put in some new skins. Reaplied some glue to the back of the bow and let the skins soften up. When they get pliable and you are able to stretch the small end (sideways)  they are ready to put on. Take out of the water and wipe off, then dip the skin in the glue.
  I start at the tip with a few wraps on the horn, then line up the notch and start wraping over the skin. I overlap slightly and use fairly light pressure. If your wrap to tight it will leave marks in the skin. You want just tight enough to hold the skin against the wood.  
  Wrap all the way to the center then start from the other tip coming back. Be sure to keep an eye on the glue that is on the bow. If it is drying out, just dab some more on, ahead of the section that you are doing.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Keenan

« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2008, 12:42:26 am »
  Thanks Formerbutcher, I've learned alot from everyone on this site and just hope to help do the same.
 When you get the second skin to the center you will need a good sharp pair of scissors to match up the cuts . It hard to get a good cut on soft pliable skin with dull scissors. Just be sure to wipe off the glue and put them back in her craft room befor she gets home. Here we are with the whole bow wrapped. Now we will let it set overnight and unwrap it in the morning.  Keenan

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2008, 01:04:46 am »
Darn.....wish I had enough Sturgeon Hide to Cook a Set...and still be able to finish the same night!!!!  :o :o Brilliant Idea with the F.G. Tape....does it work as nice as ACE Bandages do???
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Keenan

« Reply #79 on: February 24, 2008, 03:04:08 am »
 Yankee, it works well if cut into thin strips. Gives a little more control around the humps and curves. but you have to be carefull not to get it to tight and leave marks in the skin. Ace bandage is more forgiving but you can't see what the skin looks like through it, and I think the drywall tape allows more air circulation to dry better.  Keenan

Offline Gordon

« Reply #80 on: February 24, 2008, 03:10:42 am »
Ahh, so that's how you do those tips. Never thought to use drywall tape - good idea. I like using hide glue for skins also, but I prefer the liquid stuff - it's easier to apply.
Gordon

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2008, 03:14:02 am »
Yankee, it works well if cut into thin strips. Gives a little more control around the humps and curves. but you have to be carefull not to get it to tight and leave marks in the skin. Ace bandage is more forgiving but you can't see what the skin looks like through it, and I think the drywall tape allows more air circulation to dry better.  Keenan

Sounds like a Plan for my next skin job...Thanks Keenan......I too like Hide Glue...it draws the Skins down really tight when it dries...and cleanup is a Breeze with a Wet Warm Washcloth....just don't let the Wife catch you using them either!!!!
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Keenan

« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2008, 11:32:20 am »
 ;D ;D ;D,  Yankee, I've been caught using her good material roller cutter on leather so many times that she bought me my own for Christmas. She got tired of the dish towles ending up as rags and so she went to the thrift store and came home with a whole pile of shirts for me to cut up. I'm afraid that I will probably be kicked out of her sewing /craft room soon if I get caught one more time using it as a finish room for the bows.   Keenan
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 11:44:37 am by Keenan »

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2008, 01:14:54 pm »
You sound like Me!! My Wife has marked Her Good Sissors...Fabric Cutter....that little Stitch Marking Wheelie looking Doo-Dad....and a bunch of other Stuff with  a Sharpie....say "MINE"  on them!!! So like I asked Her when I got caught with the Sissors again.....doesnt this mean they are Mine!!!!!! >:D >:D  So She went to Town and got Me my own.....now I have a pair of each in the Garage that I wrote "MINE TOO" on!!!!  Glad She has a sense of Humour!!! Has to....Shes been married to Me for 26 years!!!

Nuff of that.....Lets see the Boww....we're all wanting to see the Unveiling....so get to it!!!!!!!!!!
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2008, 04:29:30 pm »

WOW !!! - can't wait to see the finished bow!
frank
Frank from Germany...

Offline Keenan

« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2008, 05:01:48 pm »
 Ok here she is unwraped. It looks like the skin is firmly adhered to the bow and things look fairly good. I had hoped it would be a little darker but what I'm seeing is real pleasing. The lighter under skin of the sturgeon is more transparent and seems to always have a milky color to it. It will be intresting to see how it looks with finish on it.
  In the last pic I have it laying by another bow that I'm building rght now.(sneak preview) I used the upper portion of the same fish on that one and you can see the color difference. However that bow dose have one coat of finish on it.   Keenan

Offline david w.

« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2008, 05:04:51 pm »
looks real good.  this has been a fun buildalong.

could i use drywall tape for applying cherry bark?
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

Offline Keenan

« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2008, 05:38:46 pm »
 Thanks David, I would think it would work great for bark backings.  Give it a try and let us know. You can just test a small piece that is shaped the same as the bow.  It works great where ther is a crown but on a bow with a wider flat back you might not get enough presure in the middle. Just a thought.   Keenan

Offline DanaM

« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2008, 09:38:32 pm »
Keenan that is just downright sick ;D The skin is so unique.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Gordon

« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2008, 09:38:59 pm »
Those are some mighty crooked sticks you' re making there Keenan  :o
Gordon