Author Topic: Had to put my girl down today. Not a good day.  (Read 6683 times)

Offline IdahoMatt

Re: Had to put my girl down today. Not a good day.
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2014, 03:03:35 am »
Thanks again guys.  I plan on planting a red osier dogwood.  Kinda cheesy I know but I figure someday I'll make an arrow with some pheasant fleching and just keep it In my quiver. 

Offline sleek

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 09:53:39 am »
Thats a good idea. I like that.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 04:43:19 pm »
Sorry for your loss Matt.   My dogs are dear to me and I know exactly what you are going through.  I like the dogwood idea.  With that arrow in your quiver her spirit will always be hunting with you.  Hang in there brother.   
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 10:04:06 pm »
Thanks Howard.  It's getting easier every day.  But only a little.  She was a serious member of our family.  My wife and nearly 2 year old son are fealing it too. 

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 07:32:35 am »
I feel your pain Matt, been there and it's not any fun. :(  But as in all things like this it will get better with time, and another dog helps. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2014, 01:52:37 pm »
My heart always goes out when I read these posts, and I understand how difficult it is.  So hard to put down your friend when they develop illnesses and it feels early.

I believe we'll see them again. 
1’—>1’

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2014, 03:43:10 pm »
Real sorry, Matt. After my last two lab', It'll be awhile before another one for me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline longbow man

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 01:18:44 pm »
    Sorry to hear it Matt. We lost Ginger a few years ago and I still miss her. Funny how a dog can pull at your heart strings so.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 01:36:49 pm »
It's always hard but it is our responsibility to do what is needed to keep out pets from suffering. We have had to put down 3 dogs since we've lived here for the last 24 years and a few before that. Our cat, Lawrence, that lived 25 years let us off the hook by just going to sleep one night and not waking up.
  Sorry for your loss.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Blackcoyote

« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 07:13:25 pm »
Matt, sorry for the loss....losing a pet is tough, but the bond with a bird dog is beyond words.

We found out our English setter whose 12 has a brain tumor, and may have had a slight stroke...he went from a neurotic full of energy bird dog, to one who just lays around and sleeps, wobbles at times, and needs help on getting up on stuff. I feel we're just counting the days till he goes down hill worse.

So I hope Sage has the wind in her face, the pheasants sit tight, and she runs the fields till she's happy and exhausted waiting on you!

-Drew
Drew - St. Johns, Michigan

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2014, 09:31:25 pm »
Sorry to hear it for sure.  I have a German Shorthair that is about nine years old and not near old enough yet.  She is getting bad in the hips.  I am paying the vet about $100 a month for meds that I really can't afford so she can still kinda keep up with us in the yard.  She was given to me by my best friend and bird hunting buddy who died in a vehicle accident about a year after I got her so I kind of feel like she is my last connection to him.  I absolutely dread the day she can't get up and go anymore.   I think she knows our days are getting short.  She hates to not be with me and I even believe she tries real hard to not let on that she is in pain after a long day of following me around the yard.  If everyone treated each other as good as our dogs treat us this would be a wonderful world.   

I like the red osier/arrow idea.   

Offline sleek

« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2014, 09:46:31 pm »
Mine shed allot being a husky. I took as much of her shed hair I could find, twisted it into string and wrapped it around my hat band on my cowboy hat. Shes with me everytime I wear it. She is also buried at my hunting spot. Things like that comfort me. Im sure you can think of things to do to honor and remember.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 05:58:46 pm »
I have the ashes of my best friend, Scully, at the foot of my bed where she felt happiest.  Almost three years gone.  Once in a rare while a day goes by that I don't feel the loss. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SA

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 07:24:00 pm »
Sorry for your loss  it's never easy , I had to put my 11 yr old boxer down a couple of weeks ago she had a seizures from brain tumor and didn't come out if it . It started last year and was on phenobarbital and did really well until the last few weeks . The only thing that makes it easier is knowing they don't have to suffer anymore,she was a really good dog .
Shawn Acker