Author Topic: Well it was fun while it lasted  (Read 14222 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Well it was fun while it lasted
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2014, 02:26:45 pm »
the super glue may not be as strong as wood glue,,, if it was my bow,, I would use wood glue,,, then I would wrap with sinew,, I think the sinew shrinks more than some backings ,,, having a healing effect on the problem area,,, it wont be too pretty,, so a thin rawhide wrap over the sinew(when dry) can make it look a little better,,  if it holds,, it will be fun to shoot and the patch soon forgotten,,,, I have repaired  similar and worse  issues using sinew,,, I have not tried the linen,,,  it may be an option as well,,,I was like you,, I had a hard time giving up on a project,, so went to the bitter end on most,, some success,, some not,, but learned alot about repairs,, which comes in useful if making wood bows,,,

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2014, 02:39:13 pm »
That's a bummer man.  Keep at it.  I had a bad record lately too.  Trying new thing will some times will bring you to your knees. Can't wait to see your next one.

Offline 4dog

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2014, 10:06:06 pm »
for that splinter use wood glue and maybe clamp it closed ...you have to start your wrap a bit before the splinter all the way to the end of it...may work may not...but what do you have to lose.   good luck..and wear safety glasses when you do pull it ...just in case..lol...dont ask how i would know.  ::)
"SET" is always there !!!

Offline gary delatte

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 07:54:21 pm »
If you can't fix it enough to shoot without breaking, cut off the long limb as far past the grip as you can. Put it up and put the broke limb in the fire, an offering to the gods of archery. After you have broken enough bows you can try splicing or making a takedown? Good luck.  ;)

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 08:20:09 pm »
Well sometimes that's how it goes had a walnut bow do similar. All you can do is go make another lol
I like osage

FAW

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 08:29:38 pm »
This primitive bow making would not be near as satisfying if the odd break didn't occur. Sorry for your loss and know you are one step closer. When it all works out how sweet it will be.

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2014, 10:35:49 pm »
Dude i feel you, ive had 3 splinters, brakes, cracks in a row... Was able to save 1 of the 3 but 2 out of 3 aint exactly good odds but its worth it!  Keep at it!

Offline arachnid

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 08:42:09 am »
Hey, if you a`int break`n you a`int make`n.... it happens.
What wood is this? stave? board?

Offline Parnell

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 10:32:49 am »
No use trying to fix that.  Make an atlatl out of it.
1’—>1’