Author Topic: Chrysal fix?  (Read 9645 times)

Offline Vgo750

Chrysal fix?
« on: August 30, 2014, 04:18:22 pm »
Well I finished tillering this bow a couple weeks ago and have shot it probably 150 times with no noticeable pops or anything...hell it slang a good arrow.  I even wiped the bow down and felt for cracks developing after every shooting session.  Anyways, even though I thought my tiller was really good...at least decent, after staining the bow today there is a chrysal 2/3 up on the top limb.  I have been reading about silk wrapping and silk and rawhide patching splinters but will these also work for chrysals????  I'm hoping that a silk and superglue wrapping would stiffen the area up enough that the chrysal will not worsen?? Does anyone have an example of silk wrapping a chrysal?  Thanks very much for any and all help?

Offline bushboy

Re: Chrysal fix?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 04:29:39 pm »
Ooo,thats a bad one!you could grind it down and add a belly lam or cut out a cookie shaped hole and add a patch.or build another,my choice would be the latter.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 05:12:37 pm »
They just cover up the problem, they don't fix it.
 Still, you'll get even experienced bowyers telling you that rawhide patches and silk wrapping will somehow have the compression resistance of linear wood fibers.
  One of the great mysteries of wood bow logic.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 05:18:30 pm »
Wall hanger!  :(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bushboy

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 05:28:26 pm »
It looks quite jagged. For a chrysal,are you sure it wasn't a tension fracture that formed when you were adding reflex on a caul?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 06:00:09 pm »
a pic braced would help,,
or maybe half draw,, if the tiller is not changing,, then maybe some patch might work,,,, if there is a hinge there ,, then that is more problematic... and as stated,, if that happened when putting reflex,, that is different as well

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 06:25:35 pm »
I would sinew wrap it and make the whole area stiff

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 07:39:47 pm »
If you wrapped it with sinew, would you trust it to hold together while drawing down on a 10 pointer?
Toast. Sorry. :(
That's not a chrysal.
That's a bad crack across the belly.
Chrysals are little tiny cracks which can be localized indicating bad tiller or all along a limb indicating an inadequate design.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 07:51:27 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys. Here is a fd pic. It is hickory 63ttt 1 3/4 pyramid down to under 1/2" tips. 50@27...if its not chrysals than what would it be? I did add reflex and slight tip flip with dry heat to this bow.

Here are some more

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 08:00:50 pm by Vgo750 »

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 09:07:57 pm »
also,, a dry fire will cause that kind of crack

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 09:27:21 pm »
That flat spot under the affected area may have been the root of the problem Or maybe the stave has some character?

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 09:31:48 pm »
Is it raised like a small bump across the crack? If you feel a bump its a chrysel, if its smooth and no bump its not. If it is one there is a way to fix it but it takes some 'splaining to do to describe it, though it is simple.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2014, 03:16:49 am »
It looks quite jagged. For a chrysal,are you sure it wasn't a tension fracture that formed when you were adding reflex on a caul?

It's a chrysal - sure as eggs is eggs.

also,, a dry fire will cause that kind of crack

I don't think so. Would you explain how a dry fire can cause a compression fracture!?

As for how to 'fix' it then have a look on Dean Torges website - he has a great article on patching. It's the only way that will last.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2014, 04:25:02 am »

My initial thought too.....I get those when Im not patient and use dry heat to reflex. But Mike says its "eggs"...and im enclined to think he is right considdering the story behind the bow.

Cheers

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 10:13:10 am »
I've had my share of chrysals. More than my share. I've never seen just one.

I think that was caused by bending that was too aggressive. Been there too. :)

At any rate, I'd never trust a crack that bad.

Vgo, I'd just start another.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!