Author Topic: Chrysal fix?  (Read 9756 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Chrysal fix?
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 10:43:51 am »
Whatever it is, compression or tension. Build another bow. 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 02:10:13 pm »
Yea I'll just build another one...I've still got about 3 weeks till season opens anyways.  Dang man that's 3 failures in a row for me!  Thanks for all the replies everyone

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 02:28:58 pm »
well a dry fire can not cause a compression fracture,, but I had a friend that dry fired his osage bow,,, and it made a crack on the belly that looked very similar,, the bow still worked,, i dry fired my sinew bow,, and it split in two,, that was a bad fracture,,, :)  it may be a crysal,, but usually the tiller is off to make a crysal,, or a hinge,,, that is what is a little different about that crack,,, the bow shows no sign of being over stressed,, in that area,, that I can see,,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 02:30:35 pm »
I noticed on an osage bow I was building for the TG trade that poor early/late ratios(about even) has a tendency to crack like this one while trying to add reflex to the tips(I used dry heat w/ oil). The wood also dented pretty badly where the clamps were. I've not noticed it before on thin ringed osage or osage with good ring size and normal early/late ratio. My bow had similar fractures, not chrysals.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 02:46:25 pm »
George,, I agree that starting a new one would probably have a higher success rate,, but for me ,, it would not hurt to try to fix that one and see what happens,, maybe start a new one as well ,, and try a repair on the bow in question,,,, if after a couple of hundred shots,,  still shooting good,,, you would have an extra bow,,,,, or it could become a tomato stake as well,,,,,, but fun to find out,,, I would be willing to try a fix myself and pay the shipping  just to find out,,,

Offline BowJunkie

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 02:52:28 pm »
Vgo:
DO NOT get discouraged.
We have all broken bows at some point. It is the nature of the beast.
Look at the bright side, you don't have three broken bows.
You have three bows that could possibly became "Take Down Bows"
Or, take what you learned and apply it to the next one.
Good luck and don't give up.
Johnny
in Texas

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 04:44:42 pm »
Bradsmith, Bowjunie, thanks for the offer and encouragement, very generous. And I agree with you both about a fix attempt and maybe even a takedown!  I already started another bow about 2 hours ago lol and I will attempt the fix after this one.  I have made a handful of good shooters that are all holding well, 4 of them are pyramid board bows with no heat treating or reflex so I know i can knock one of them out decent enough...worst case I just hunt this season with the hickory pyramid I hunted last year.  My last three failed attempts were all trying to expand my skills with trapping, heat treating, reflexing, and tip flipping and through all 3 builds everything went really well... I thought...and then right when i thought i was done I ended up with 1 splinter, 1 explosion lol, and now this thing.  I will keep plugging away for sure and I will keep trying to expand my skills as a bowyer.  Yalls experience and this site is a gold mine.

Offline CustomArcher15

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 10:49:38 pm »
Wrap it and shoot it. I'm a guy that tries to get something out of it and I would rather know I can't fix it then always wonder if I could. If it breaks it breaks. If it works it works. You can't lose any more breaking it then throwing it in the trash. Just my take.

mikekeswick

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 03:45:12 am »
Wrap it and shoot it. I'm a guy that tries to get something out of it and I would rather know I can't fix it then always wonder if I could. If it breaks it breaks. If it works it works. You can't lose any more breaking it then throwing it in the trash. Just my take.

A chrysal isn't going to just explode so wrapping won't do much. The problem is the belly not the back.

You can definately have just one chrysal. If just that spot is over strained then it's just that spot. I think the cause of this one is the stiff outer limbs.
If you try this design again keep your width constant until say 12 inches from the tips and shoot for an elliptical tiller. eg bend increasing all the way out from the handle to that last 12 inches.

Offline dwardo

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 09:29:44 am »
I have a corner full of failed similar bows, as do many of us here "corner of shame" Once the wood has collapsed like that its a gonner. Like putting a crease in a piece of paper then trying to smooth it out again, never happens.
Almost like techtonic plates smashing together creating mountain ranges. The only way to re-leave the stress is to remove wood above and below the failed area but its not a fix, it just takes the weight off but the damage is still there.

When the corner of shame fills up and I get sick of moving them around the shop they get chopped into 8 inch lengths and burnt into my tent stove when on holiday.

I think Dell posted a picture of how deep Chrysals go and its deep, have seen it my self. What you see on the surface is ice-berg like, the damage will go deep. 

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 12:57:41 pm »
yes that would be correct if it was a crysal,, but I still dont think it is  a crysal,, in my opinion,, it was caused from too much bending to try to induce reflex,,
the tiller still looks good,, no hinge ect,,, if that area was over strained it would show,, and to my eye,, it does not,(unbraced or drawn), I could be mistaken for sure ,, as photos do not tell the whole story,,I think I could fix it,,and at least kill one deer with it :),, before being retired to the trophy wall,,, :D

Offline sleek

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 03:21:56 pm »
I am convinced that infact that is not a chrysle. Tiller is too good for that and many times I have had cracks open when heat treated reflex in a bow. But as I said before, if the edges are raised like a small bump it is one. If not then it isnt. Are they?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Gordon

« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 12:53:44 am »
That looks like a tension fracture to me. If it is, then it will probably hold. Just put a patch over it so you don't have to look at it.
Gordon

Offline Vgo750

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 09:27:54 am »
I can actually run my fingernail over it and not feel a thing...smooth as a babys butt. Either way i will come back and wrap and shoot this one to see if it will hold after i finish my new build:)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:43:24 am by Vgo750 »

Offline Badger

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 10:00:39 am »
  I go along with Gordon on theis one. I have had tension fractures on a belly from reflexing. They don't generaly cause any problems.