Author Topic: osage stave advice needed  (Read 14322 times)

Offline jeffp51

Re: osage stave advice needed
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2014, 11:29:40 pm »
I think I may have one chance to fix the mistake I have made:  When I added the tip overlays, I was so concerned about creating a flat surface for a clean glue line that I did not notice that I created that surface at an angle--until after the glue had set and the clamps were off.  The first picture shows the angle belly side down.  the thin "weak" side is on the right.  the second shows the bow braced and turned over so that the "weak" side is now on the left.  The third shows how the string is now too far to the wrong side of the bow.  This much twist did not exist before I put on the overlays.

I THINK that if I file down the nock on the strong side, both on the back and the side,so that it is more parallel with the back in general--and weakening the strong (fat) side, it may bring the string back in line and reduce the twist. But the recurve is messing with my sense of reality.  I think I have just one chance to get it right, and if I get it wrong I will seriously ruin what was looking to be a good bow.

I have already read this http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,27206.0.html
and this http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,48856.0.html

Help me not screw up

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2014, 09:04:50 am »
How bad is it twisting Jeff? It looks like a good job no matter what. I have made some good mistakes (gluing on tip overlays sideways). Worst case scenario is that you pike it and start the overlays over. I don't know if reducing the overlay will help the bow to not twist, as the twist is coming from the limb itself. You could also try to cut the overlays off, or steam or heat them off (depending on the type of glue used). Lots of ways to fix this. I am more than likely the king of going to fast (when I do get to working).
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2014, 02:10:37 pm »
from the pic,, looks like your could gently heat the tip and twist it to align better with the string,,also looks like the string is to the other side of the bow,, and might shoot better off that side,,turn the bow upside down and shoot and see how she does...you will have to redo the handle,,if you like it better that way,, also I have had bows with that much twist, that seemed to get a little better after shooting,, I think the tip just followed the string after shooting,, I had a bow like that but never was able to fix the twist,, and killed many deer with it,, the string would just stay on,, :)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 02:24:14 pm by bradsmith2010 »

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2014, 04:02:18 am »
Joe and Brad, these are good points.  It is good to know there are some options still open.  Flipping it end to end at any rate is a good idea, and will bring the string closer to where I want it.  The rest is, I hope aesthetic.  I may try some gentle heating too. -- I will start with the least invasive stuff first.  This bow is getting close.