Author Topic: Starting another one...  (Read 12682 times)

Offline dueb

Re: Starting another one...
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2014, 12:47:10 pm »
Nice looking nocks  :)
If you would hit the mark, you must aim a little above it: Every arrow that flies feels the pull of the earth.
― Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2014, 01:59:51 pm »
I like padauk overlays on locust, good contrast and it hasn't failed me yet.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #47 on: November 20, 2014, 02:28:36 pm »
I only use Padauk in an overlay as a middle Lam or stripe these days.  I've had issues with it being too brittle and inclined to crush vs. harder woods.  ...but the pieces I've used have been random off cuts I collected from the floor of my Luthier friend's shop!  ...they may not have been first rate bits of the wood.

OneBow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #48 on: November 20, 2014, 02:29:47 pm »
Grain is very important on most overlay woods, regardless of their hardness.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #49 on: November 20, 2014, 07:13:54 pm »
Chris,
Are you saying that applying the overlay with the end grain perpendicular to the bow back for soft wood overlay material?   I have never paid much attention to it with hard wood overlay material.  What is the best orientation of the grain for overlays?
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2014, 12:06:05 am »
Grain is very important on most overlay woods, regardless of their hardness.

X2.....looking great BTW.  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Gaust

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2014, 12:20:10 am »
OneBow, like you, my main complaint with paduak is that it can sometimes be brittle. I have to be careful using a file on it, especially cross grain (my shinto's fine side does better).  It's hard enough to saw, but it sure doesn't like fine edges. Thought about coating it with super glue to harden the surface after fine sanding it.  I've got more of it but I'll be looking at some other hardwoods.

DBar, grain should be perpendicular or somewhat.  I haven't been paying that much attention to it and I haven't had any problems yet either.

Thanks, soy, dueb.
G.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2014, 11:41:31 am »
Still on the long tillering string.  Using only my scraper now and I think I got all the flat spots out at this point. Still a little on the heavy side but not by much.  My recurves are reducing a bit, more one side than the other.  I think the toasting on that one is holding up better.  That one will be on bottom limb.  Short string is next.
G.

Offline randman

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2014, 10:48:18 pm »
The excitement builds.....Looks a tiny bit stiff just out of the right fade.....time for a short string. Looking good...
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2014, 11:11:33 pm »
Randman, thanks, but this project is about to slow down right now.  Got daughters, husbands, granddaughter, and dog coming in for Thanksgiving holidays starting tomorrow.  Don't know when I'll get back to tillering this stave, 'cause this next week will be busy.   I've made it this far with this piece of wood, don't want to screw it up by not giving it my undivided attention, if you know what I mean. 
George

Offline Gaust

« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2014, 10:46:47 am »
I've had it on the short string for a while now, about a 3" brace.  Been scraping it down, checking the weight and evenness of the limbs, and exercising it.   Here it is at 20".  How's it look so far?  Any comments welcomed.
George

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2014, 10:59:29 am »
Back up the right limb from the curve looks a little stiff.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gaust

« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2014, 11:05:28 am »
PatB, yeah, I see that.  Thanks. 
G.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2014, 11:43:01 am »
Scraped it some more at that stiff area and it looks better now.  Going to shorten the string a couple of inches so I can check where I am on the draw weight.  It's developed a slight deflex so I'm watching that.  Scraping has taken a lot of the initial toasting color off.  It's now at 1 1/2" wide off the fades to about mid-limb.
I don't want to reduce the width anymore.  Kinda like where it's at.  Any adjustments to weight will have to come off the belly. 
G.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2014, 11:53:14 am »
Were it me, and I had scraped off the all the temper color, I would fix the deflex as I retempered.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.