Author Topic: My only regret...  (Read 6752 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
My only regret...
« on: October 19, 2014, 09:12:27 am »
My only regret is I waited just a fuzz too long to temper. It always AMAZES me just how much a proper temper job affects all woods, especially ash, elm and HHB. I have been dinking around with an HHB flat bow for the last 8-10 days. I heat shaped it and got about 100 degrees of the 180 degrees of twist out, plus added a few inches of reflex. I tillered it out and full drew/shot it maybe 5-8 times at 52# or so. I was hoping to avoid anymore heat, but it followed the string horribly and I didn't like the eye appeal as a result. Not because of follow, the whole limb shape just wasn't sexy enough for me. It did shoot great I thought.

I decided to give it a proper temper all the while shaping it back down to my caul. The bow gained at least 10# and, for now, holds over an inch of reflex. That temper job moved the tips at least 4" and the whole bow just looks so much nicer. My only regret? Not tempering prior to pulling it beyond 18-20". Oh well, something tells me it will be a fine bow all the same.

Just thought Id share a little of what turns my crank!  ;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: My only regret...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 09:19:00 am »
My only regret is... No pictures!

I don't make as many as I used to so I depend on photos of bows!
:)

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 09:36:16 am »
Me either Jawgey, only 7-8 this year as compared to 30-40. The bow needs sanding and sealing, then Ill put up pics. Its short'ish and wide!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 09:57:18 am »
Can't wait to see it pearly.  I've just made a new caul and am waiting to get a 2 by 8 o finish it up.  I'm excited to give some proper tempering done.  Thanks for sharing that tid bit :)

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 10:07:34 am »
I agree Chris... Especially with HHB, that stuff really loves the heat gun.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 10:07:41 am »
If you back your caul, be sure to rub a bit of veg oil on the back of the bow and side pushed towards the cauls back. It will scorch every time when heat crawls in back there.

Offline Badger

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 10:30:01 am »
  I think tempering has a healing affect on the wood. Makes it almost like new again.

Offline Gaust

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 11:12:42 am »
You think you should have tempered prior to pulling the bow?  I'm still trying to figure out the process of when to toast it.  On my last one (hackberry) I did a mild toasting before and then a heavier tempering after tillering it close to final weight.  As I finalized it to weight, I never touched the belly again, just the sides.  Seems to have worked. 
George

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 11:48:44 am »
George lets say my target is 50 @ 28. I like to get the bow to 50 @ 18-20". Then temper it and reduce the weight back down as I get out to 28". This time I was hoping my extra width would allow only a heat shaping at the beginning and not a full blown temper. It didn't work, the bow required a full temper. But the only sure way for me to know that was to fully draw/shoot it a few times and see what the limbs did. If the bow was 66-68" ntn like it should be, I may have got away with no temper. But, its 64" ntn and that's short for a 28" plus draw and white wood.

Offline Chadwicksbog

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 12:26:34 pm »
Define HHB please!
Haha

Offline Gaust

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 12:36:28 pm »
Chris, I've not done a bow 64"ntn @28".  I'll follow your lead on it.  Thanks.
G.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 01:04:51 pm »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Chadwicksbog

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 01:14:47 pm »
Oh, ok!

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2014, 01:16:36 pm »
buddy if that's your only regret your doing all right ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2014, 02:11:25 pm »
What made it take so much follow initially? Sounds like it was overbuilt enough. A bit wet maybe?