Author Topic: Hackberry ELB  (Read 10606 times)

blackhawk

Hackberry ELB
« on: October 23, 2014, 06:24:24 pm »
This bow came to be made all because a good friend of mine said hackberry wont make an ELB in another thread  >:D ...to see the friendly discussion go here

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,48275.0.html

So this came out adhering to the 5/8's rule,and that's all that matters to me to prove it can make an ELB.....76"ntn..its 1 1/4" wide by almost 1" thick at the handle...its been drawn and shot out to 30" where I reckon its 55-56lbs...osage tip overlays...hemp wrapped handle over a cork built up bulbous shape with a shelf glued on...20 ounces mass...and I tried to give it a yewish look with dye...its not quite as red as it is in the pics in person,and im not quite sure what to think of it yet  :-\  :D

Offline bushboy

Re: Hackberry ELB
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 06:34:29 pm »
Looks very nice!cool finish!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 07:02:25 pm »
Very nice Chris. I never doubt your tenacity when it comes to bows, no matter what wood.   ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 07:35:09 pm »
Pretty slick build Chris, excellent tiller too.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 08:10:31 pm »
Very nice tiller.  Did you put the reflex in it, or did mother nature?

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 08:12:33 pm »
Sweet!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Joec123able

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 08:13:31 pm »
Even held reflex I think that says it all
I like osage

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 08:27:10 pm »
Boy...you've been into the long sticks lately.
The knot from the back looks like a belly button  ;D ;D
Nice looking bow
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline bubby

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 08:32:04 pm »
look's good bad chris, but I wonder is this an exceptional piece of hackberry, I've only built one hackberry but I don't think it would have made an elb, as a flatbow it was thick
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

blackhawk

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 08:51:35 pm »
Very nice tiller.  Did you put the reflex in it, or did mother nature?

that would be mother nature doing her thing  ;) ..I didn't induce anymore than what it already had to start with...which was 4",and 2 hours after unstringing tonight its sitting at 2 3/4"...I also didn't temper it persay either...I did have to move the limbs over some to align my string tracking,and tried to even it up a tad better trying to match each limbs profile...but theres still some subtle kinks as you can see

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 08:59:38 pm »
look's good bad chris, but I wonder is this an exceptional piece of hackberry, I've only built one hackberry but I don't think it would have made an elb, as a flatbow it was thick

a good bowyer chooses his wood wisely  ;) its not a "dense" piece for hackberry persay,and it has a high ring count for ring porous wood(~35rpi) with not even a very good ratio of early to late wood....BUT its trump card lies in the fact that it came from the tension side of the tree,and is naturally reflexed to boot..ive found in my experiences with most species this to be excellent wood not wanting to give up much set

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 09:04:53 pm »
Nice bow! How does it shoot?

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 09:19:10 pm »
I'd say you dun it. That belly button must have been a challenge in tillering. Nice
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

blackhawk

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 09:23:09 pm »
thanks to everyone for the replies  :)

@wizardgoat...shoots good enough for me..its no barn burner,but its a long bow and likes the heavier arrows(go figure  ;) ...) ....so to answer your question...like a longbow :)  smooth to draw,and steady in the hand on release  ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2014, 11:59:48 pm »

a good bowyer chooses his wood wisely  ;) its not a "dense" piece for hackberry persay,and it has a high ring count for ring porous wood(~35rpi) with not even a very good ratio of early to late wood....BUT its trump card lies in the fact that it came from the tension side of the tree,and is naturally reflexed to boot..ive found in my experiences with most species this to be excellent wood not wanting to give up much set

yeah good wood trumps it all ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹