Author Topic: First selfbow harvest  (Read 19332 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: First selfbow harvest
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2014, 09:01:23 pm »
Great deer, great bow, great story! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ken S

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 11:03:10 pm »
Thanks for the kind words everyone, it was a great hunt, short but awesome.The bow came from a shagbark hickory half log 33''long.The handle is not primitive but does work well,It's  a  fiberglass handgrip wrapped in deer leather.

Offline rps3

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2014, 09:38:26 am »
Congrats on a fine shot. I too would like to know more about the bow. Did you make the takedown sleeve out of fiberglass? I have been contemplating the same thing.

Offline RyanR

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2014, 07:20:55 pm »
Good job. Nice deer.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2014, 08:03:45 pm »

Man that is great!  Just something about being in the right place, at the right time, and being calm enough to make the shot placement! Sometimes luck smiles on you, instead of the deer. ;) That is a nice set up.  As I understand it, Shagbark hickory, makes a great bow.  Seems to have performed quite well, in that situation.  As did you!  Congratulations on some great eating.  If you ever had any little doubts, about the bow, and arrows, you have, I think they have been run off by your ALRIGHT!! shout, fist and arm pumping up and down, and doing the happy dance! Thanks for sharing.

Wayne

Offline Ken S

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2014, 10:38:41 pm »
Big Jim's bow co. on youtube he has a series of videos for the fg handle, of course it is a bit different for a selfbow.

Thanks for looking everyone, yes I'm still excited and I'll be in the woods this weekend with a more primitive set :laugh: