Author Topic: New Yew in progress  (Read 11844 times)

Offline AH

New Yew in progress
« on: November 03, 2014, 09:33:54 pm »
Nabbed this stave off of ebay for 40 bucks, thought it was a steal. Looks like pretty much an almost flawless stave, except for some drying checks in the side that are a little disconcerting (third pic). Anyway, Im gonna try to make another warbow from it. Pacific yew, 77", completely straight. The grain is nice and tight, around 40 rings to the inch  ;D  Shooting for pretty much any weight between 100-120 pounds.
I'll probably do a build-along (help along?) as I don't wan't to screw up such a nice stave...

Offline AH

Re: New Yew in progress
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 09:35:07 pm »
removing the bark

Offline AH

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:35:45 pm »
working around one of the few pins

Offline AH

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 09:38:47 pm »
finished debarking it. Laying out the bow's front profile. I'm going with 1.5" wide in the middle which continues in uniform width for about 10 inches as the handle, then starts tapering down to an inch 15" away from the tips. From that point they taper to 1/2" at the tips.

Offline AH

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 09:39:26 pm »
the stave with one of my previous warbows

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 10:33:30 pm »
Nice stave, I know nothing about these so I'll be keeping my eyes on this. Can't wait to see the rest! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Newindian

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 01:25:00 am »
Hard to tell in the pictures but beware of bargain staves that have been sawed straight
I like free stuff.

Offline WillS

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 06:17:24 am »
That looks like a medicine bow woods stave... Which means it won't be remotely seasoned.  If you got it from Dave, don't start bending it for a good month or two.  And as NewIndian said, check the grain.  He likes to bandsaw everything.

Looks nice though, should be a good bow once it's dry!

Edit: By the way, those don't look like drying checks.  It's hard to see from the photos, but based on where they are in the stave (drying checks are usually at the ends) and how that particular one looks, I'd say that's a wind shake.  They can be bad news (which may be why the stave was so cheap?) as they tend to go right down to the core of the branch/trunk.  Fill it with superglue before you carry on, and pray they don't go too deep. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 09:03:03 am by WillS »

Offline AH

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2014, 11:22:28 pm »
Roughed out the front profile with a hatchet, and started on the thickness taper. It's still pretty hefty.
The wind shakes, if that's what they are (which seems to be the case after some internet research and examining) seem to get tighter as I remove more wood, which is somewhat encouraging...im hoping they don't go very deep. There is, however, one side with a rather deep and large wind shake which im a bit worried about. I'll fill it up with superglue and hope I can just pull off what happened here: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=47625.0

Regarding seasoning, the wood is definately dry. It's crisp, and according to the seller was seasoned for two years. (i hope)
the grain does run straight and true, which is also a relief.

Offline WillS

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2014, 05:39:16 am »
Yep, those are shakes.  Glue and luck are your only options.  If you can clamp the shake closed, do so and use a good 2 part epoxy.  If you can't (using sensible force) then just fill with superglue.  I had an ash bow that was FULL of them - all over the sides, through the belly and super deep.  Some were clamped and epoxy filled, and some I superglued.  Worked out ok in the end.

Edit: doh! Just realised you used that exact bow in your link!

Out of interest, was it medicine bow woods you got the stave from?  "Burl Quilt" on eBay?  If it was (and it does look like his) you're very lucky if it's truely seasoned.  He sells them dry, but not seasoned.  The time he says they've been drying for is usually rubbish, but you might have got lucky.  He's a Russian roulette stave seller ;)

Anyway, it's looking very nice! Looking forward to seeing the finished bow!

Offline PatM

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2014, 09:24:22 am »
It looks like the sapwood is a near perfect thickness. Is there any reason that you butchered the outer ring so badly?
 I know many yew bows seem to have the outer rings stepped through but it seems like a perfect ring is a better guarantee of soundness.

Offline WillS

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 10:29:56 am »
The brown stuff is the cambium Pat.  He's not touched the sapwood rings, just done a quick job of taking off most of the cambium so he can lay out a profile.  I would imagine all of the remaining brown cambium will be removed as he continues. 

That's what I do, anyway.

Offline PatM

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2014, 10:39:56 am »
 You can clearly see actual  shavings gouged out of the sapwood. A pristine ring looks much more polished and you are certainly not going to achieve it with a drawknife.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2014, 12:59:54 pm »
Looks like that sapwood is around 1/2" which to me is too thick. If it's that thick everywhere you will run the risk of your outer limbs being mostly sapwood, which isn't horrible, but It will take more set and not look as good in my opinion. I haven't made a bow over 100#, so maybe I'm wrong in this case. All my yew bows are under 60#, and I go with 3/16-1/4" sapwood thickness
I worked a 5 year old yew stave, and after floor tiller I weighed it and kept an eye on it. It still dropped weight for another 2 months.

Offline AH

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2014, 12:10:41 am »
It looks like the sapwood is a near perfect thickness. Is there any reason that you butchered the outer ring so badly?
 I know many yew bows seem to have the outer rings stepped through but it seems like a perfect ring is a better guarantee of soundness.
I didn't violate any of the rings, I just took the bark off. It's not "butchered" although I guess I can see where you're getting that. Those brown marks are just bits of cambium that I haven't removed yet. 

« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 12:26:18 am by Livefortheoutdoors »