Author Topic: New Yew in progress  (Read 11749 times)

Offline AH

Re: New Yew in progress
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 12:27:20 am »
Looks like that sapwood is around 1/2" which to me is too thick. If it's that thick everywhere you will run the risk of your outer limbs being mostly sapwood, which isn't horrible, but It will take more set and not look as good in my opinion. I haven't made a bow over 100#, so maybe I'm wrong in this case. All my yew bows are under 60#, and I go with 3/16-1/4" sapwood thickness
I worked a 5 year old yew stave, and after floor tiller I weighed it and kept an eye on it. It still dropped weight for another 2 months.
sapwood is about 1/4'' to 3/8'' in the thickest parts

Offline PatM

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 07:57:34 am »
I know what the cambium and inner bark look like. I most definitely see ring violations. You can even see the removed shavings.  Take a look at the stuff you've shaved off and look for white on the underside.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2014, 01:57:03 pm »
Ok, my bad. That pic with it in your hand it's looks thicker.
It does look like some bad ring violations to me too, but in my experiences
with yew (8 bows), it doesn't matter, just doesn't look as good.
If I made a yew bow over 80#, i would be going for one continuous ring.
Del has posted many times to just peel the bark and let the cambium snap
off as you tiller. I finally did it last night, and it works awesome.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 06:14:20 pm »
I wish people would just leave the bark on >:(
It will pop off when you start flexing the stave of the tiller. you end up with a perfect back with zero work!
It even shows where the wood is bending most... it pops off there first! natures strain gauge!
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline WillS

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 06:48:55 pm »
Only works if you happen to have a stave with the perfect sapwood thickness.  They're quite rare...

Even on this stave I'd reduce the sapwood.  It may just be a personal preference, but much more than about 6mm is too thick in my opinion for a Warbow.  Wants to be mostly heartwood as that's where all the power is.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 08:14:21 pm »
Del, I never messed with yew. But I just finished up a vine maple that I let the bark pop off of like that. Ended up leaving it on the last 6 or 7 inches. Looks really neat. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline AH

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 12:48:35 am »
I feel like letting the bark pop off would frighten the heck out of me on the tiller  :o
I got the whole thing roughed out. I'll try to upload some pics tommorow. Now's the hard part--i need to find some way to tackle that nasty wind shake.

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 05:37:07 am »
I feel like letting the bark pop off would frighten the heck out of me on the tiller  :o
Yeah, that's part of the fun... it's character building >:D
Del

Offline WillS

« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2014, 08:00:35 am »
I got the whole thing roughed out. I'll try to upload some pics tommorow. Now's the hard part--i need to find some way to tackle that nasty wind shake.

Don't sweat the shake.  Two options:

1.  If it will close up when you apply a clamp (remember to protect the wood as you do it) then use a good 2 part epoxy.  Pack it in, clamp it up, no more shake.

2.  If it's too big to clamp, or is refusing to close up under moderate pressure, simply fill with superglue. 

The wind shake doesn't need to disappear - it just needs to be solid.  If you can still see it, but it's well filled with glue and won't change if you squeeze it with a clamp, it's unlikely to cause any issues.

Offline Yeomanbowman

• warbowwales
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2014, 04:55:16 pm »
To add to what Will says, heat the slow set epoxy with a hair dryer in a jar or foil dish to make it runny and you'll get deeper penetration to drizzle into the shake.  Work quickly though because the heat will make it cure a lot faster.

Offline AH

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2014, 07:45:39 pm »
Well, life got in the way of uploading pictures earlier.
Still trying to figure out a way to get epoxy down the wind shake, it seems to go throught he entire limb  :(

Offline WillS

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 09:56:55 am »
Yikes.  That doesn't look very nice.

On the plus side, that might just end up being removed as you tiller, but you're gonna want to secure it first.  I'd go for superglue instead of epoxy on that.  Clamp the bow so it's side-up, pour as much superglue as you can into the crack, all the way down, and make sure it's leaking out the other side as well.  Then clamp the whole thing up with a few clamps or a long rubber band to maintain pressure.  Let it go off, then see what you've got.  It needs to sound good - tap the surrounding wood with a fingernail and take note of the sound.  Then tap the glued up area and compare.  If it sounds like something's moving when you tap it, or its thin and papery sounding, redo all the glue again. 

If a large area like that isn't solid it may end up pulling away from the belly as the bow bends.  Not good. 

Your other option is to just plough through it until you hit solid wood, then make the best bow possible out of what remains. 

If you go with option 2, leave the sapwood at the thickness it is already.  If you manage to secure it with glue and it feels and looks solid, get that sapwood down to a sensible thickness and carry on!

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 10:00:07 am »
Epoxy won't do anything, it needs a good quality low viscosity cyanoacrylate (superglue) which will go in by capillary action.
Looking good.
Del

ceolith

« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2014, 01:25:33 pm »
here in germany we call this condition: Kernholzabspaltung (Corewoodsecession). there is a fault in the growth of the yew. usually you should not use such a stave for a bow.
i know, it's your only one etc...
and IF you wish to glue these peaces together, then you have to remove the remains from the cambium. it's the fluffy stuff which you can see against the light. to avoid unpleasant shear forces, you should use EA-40® Transparent Laminating Epoxy Adhesive.

cyanoacrylate (superglue) is not flexible enough!