Author Topic: Which Gransfors Bruk Hatchet?  (Read 11700 times)

mikekeswick

Re: Which Gransfors Bruk Hatchet?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2014, 02:28:35 am »
They aren't really that close to each other. ;) The Hunter's axe was a present. Seriously though the Small Forest is superb. I don't think the smaller hatchets are really suitable. Sure they would work but you have way more options with the bigger tools.

Offline Holten101

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2014, 03:03:53 am »
Neither....I would buy this one http://www.gransforsbruk.com/en/products/forest-axes/gransfors-outdoor-axe/

Too bad I dont really need one....I have a Hultafors (http://www.hultafors.co.uk/products/cutting/axes/trekking-axes/hatchet/) and a tiny Fiskars (X5), both awesome axes:-)

Offline randman

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2014, 03:29:18 am »
For me it's all about the angle of the bevel grind on the cutting edge. With a bevel on both sides like a normal "hatchet" it requires a steeper angle to the wood to cut making it good for felling or chopping but for shaping I want a cutting edge that has a bevel on one side only and flat on the other like a hewing axe for squaring up logs. My old plumb is heavy and allows me to choke up on the head and use it similar to a plane by pushing instead of chopping. You can't do that with a double bevel hatchet. Then there's curved edge blades or straight edge blades................

Apparently with the Gransfors Bruks carving axe you can select how you want it beveled, double, right or left. but $350??  :o :o

I bought my plumb carpenters axe in yer common antique mall for $20 and the steel is so good, I've only had to hone the edge twice in the 6 years I've had it.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

birdpointlightstring32

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 01:38:30 am »
my two cents. Walmart on line has a keen kutter like broad axe on their site or had a few months past its new and has a single bevel. I use a keen kutter flea market special but would love a little less weight around 1¼ lb. Cant find the perfect hatchet with a single bevel.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 02:05:42 am »
I went berserk and ordered the Scandinavian Forest Axe, the Wildlife Hatchet and the Swedish Carving Axe--pray for me!😋
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

mikekeswick

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 02:42:39 am »
I went berserk and ordered the Scandinavian Forest Axe, the Wildlife Hatchet and the Swedish Carving Axe--pray for me!😋

Good man! I bet you aren't disappointed when they turn up! By the way it's a dangerous collection to start......

Offline Weylin

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 05:29:30 am »
I have the GB swedish carving axe. It is a wonderful tool and cuts through wood like butter. I use it to rough out all my staves.

Offline Adam

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 11:07:55 am »
Nice! You'll enjoy them.

Offline tlow13

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 12:10:59 pm »
I am brand new to the Gransfors Bruks brand, and new to bowmaking, and Weylin when you say the GB swedish carving axe, are you talking about the one that has the curved head with the special bevel either with a straight bevel on the left or the right side? And if I am understanding everyone here correctly that allows you to make cuts easier without having to angle your hatchet too steep into the wood? I appreciate everyone's expertise and hope my naiveté doesn't offend anyone here  ;D

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 01:47:30 pm »
Tlow13:  no one here will find your questions offensive!  This is the nicest group of experts who ever counseled a novice--I know!  Not answering for Weylin, but I suspect that is the axe he is talking about--with a 2 pound, wide head.  If so, it may have either the bevel for right or left handers OR a double bevel.  That is what I got.  I know it is a little harder to carve wood in a straight line, but I opted for the greater versatility and simplicity.

Best regards,

Russ
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline tlow13

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 02:24:18 pm »
Thanks Russ, you answered my question, and I hope your bowmaking ventures are going well in Comancheria. I have recently been reading the book The Empire of the Summer Moon, which is all about the Comanches in Texas and how they held out against America's western push into their lands (which I'm sure you know all about), and how amazing they were with the bow and on a horse, a truly fascinating culture.

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 02:34:22 pm »
Well, so far my bow making is all in my head!  I have A seven-dollar, straight-grained red oak board from Home Despot leaning against the garage wall, awaitimg the arrival of the last of my tools.  That sucker is quarter sawn, so I will back it, either with drywall tape, sinew, or maybe cast iron.😊

Russ

Offline DavidV

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 03:21:07 pm »
  That sucker is quarter sawn, so I will back it, either with drywall tape, sinew, or maybe cast iron.

Wait, what? Lol, I'd like to hear about this cast iron stuff.
Springfield, MO

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 08:24:40 pm »
David,

I am so paranoid about making an unbacked first bow, I would probably use titanium if it weren't so darned expensive.

As for the Comanche, while I have the utmost respect for them--and for all Indian cultures--I am somewhat put off by the prevalent white man's myth that they were somehow morally superior to more "advanced" cultures.  They were human and they did what they had to do to survive.  Life was short and cruel to them and they could be brutally cruel to each other.  When some of the northern tribes got metal heads from the French, they used them in the attempted genocide of less fortunate groups.  Ah, but then, some of them got The horse from the Spanish--and it was payback time at the OK Corral!  As for being "green" and conscious of the environment, well, maybe so in some instances, but they also drove whole herds of Bison over cliffs and set fire to the prairie.  Some--and the Comanche were notorious in this respect--tortured their enemies and then cut out their tongues to mute their screams, when it was time to get some sleep.  And no doubt they were tortured by the white man as well.  So they shared all aspects of humanity with us--including (and this is an opinion of mine that may not be popular) the basic tendency of human beings to engage in war and violence.  I admire them for being no less and no more than human--and for being no-nonsense about survival in a cruel world.

And on that cheerful note...😃

Offline randman

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 09:13:57 pm »
I have A seven-dollar, straight-grained red oak board from Home Despot leaning against the garage wall, awaitimg the arrival of the last of my tools.  That sucker is quarter sawn, so I will back it, either with drywall tape, sinew, or maybe cast iron

If it's perfectly quarter sawn and the grain is straight down all 4 sides and you are using the edge of the rings as the back and belly surface, you don't need a backing at all (especially drywall tape). If you feel the need to back it use rawhide. If you're working on a board, you don't need a hatchet (although it would work) you need a nice little hand plane and a rasp for the grip area if your making a stiff handle....boards are different than staves where you may have to follow an undulating back on a stave, a plane won't work so good. On a board, all your surfaces are going to be nice smooth and flat taper on all sides so a hand plane or block plane would work good.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.