Author Topic: shoot THROUGH the center bow, now with complete build pics BROKEN/FIXED!!!  (Read 24942 times)

Offline dbb

Re: shoot THROUGH the center bow?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2014, 03:44:33 am »
It can work out with a really stiff shaft..but use a heavy glove on your bowhand just in case.
The whisper bisquit is probably a good idea too.

Btw olympic bows have a window that is "centershot" but the trimmed in bow is very seldom so.
They use the plunger to utilize the paradox to get the "right" flight.
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Smokedancer

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2014, 04:02:07 am »
I think this could work, but I'd be using stiffer than normal arrows and a pinch-grip release. You'd want to minimise the roll-off-the-fingers effect of the Mediterranean release that contributes to archers' paradox.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2014, 04:19:34 am »
Don't read this if you are easily bored!
It's a bit of a hobby horse of mine...
A centre shot bow has no paradox.
A modern bow with a pressure button and all that paraphernalia is to do with tuning the arrow to the release and the bow/string system.
We should be careful not to confuse paradox and tuning .
The actual "Paradox" is that an arrow on the string at brace on a primitive bow is pointing hard left yet it flies straight! How so?
The Answer to the paradox is that the arrow flexes around the bow...
So many modern target archers think arrow flex is the paradox... it's not, it's the explanation to the paradox and a feature of any long thin object.
Sorry to bang on about this and you prob' all realised this anyway. I'm just making it my mission to stop the wrong definition of parodox becoming common usage. An arrow on centre shot bow pretty much points at the target all the way from brace to FD so you'd expect it to fly straight anyway.
I even re-wrote the Wikipedia definition 'cos it was wrong.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archer%27s_paradox
It's mosty target archers who don't know what they are talking about ::) ('cos their kit is too complicated.... they bolt on 10 pound of long rods and stabilisers, hold at full draw for 10 seconds and then wonder why they get tennis elbow >:D)

Del
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 04:25:54 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2014, 04:45:44 am »
 If it goes south and doesnt work, I can cut the outside off the knot to make a arrow pass.

Make sure to leave enough meat on the oposite side!
Second thought, that is probably the better way to go anyway, imo.
What you all think?
Frank from Germany...

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2014, 04:52:07 am »
Ack! I just read your quote of me. Terriable! I hate when people use the word " a " infront of a word that starts with a vowel other than the leter "u ". I gadda fix that.

On a relevant note, im trying to leave as much meat as I can  so I can remove the side of the knot if I need to.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2014, 05:45:41 am »
After doing more thought and looking at what I have to work with on the handle, I have an idea. I can, if I am careful, make the handle so that I can shoot through the bow, and if I drop my grip about an inch, shoot off my hand, without sacrificing anything except maybe handle comfort?  But I think I can figure that out too.

Id post pics but not sure how to from my phone? They are on photobucket.

Offline PatM

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2014, 08:53:28 am »
Many flight bows have a large hole to shoot through but the arrows used on them are tiny and the hole is about 3- 4 inches in diameter. The arrow is balanced in the center without resting on anything really.
 While Del is right about the difference between paradox and just arrow flexing under the push of the string the net result is the same to the arrow.

blackhawk

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2014, 10:09:29 am »
Someone on PA built one years ago but I don't remember when.

Maybe your thinking of chuck(holeinthebowchuck)... I'm pretty sure he made one years ago,and it didn't work all to well for him.

Offline sleek

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2014, 11:39:15 am »
I just searched his name and nothing came up.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2014, 01:21:30 pm »
I don't remember if it was Chuck but I do remember it didn't work well.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2014, 01:23:58 pm »
the arrow is still flexing and vibrating as well as the string,, so makes it hard to control

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2014, 01:57:14 pm »
Please follow through to satisfy our curiosity. It does occur to me that it wil by necessary to sight with one eye, unless that hole in the bow is really big or you eyes are really far apart.   :o

Jimn Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline sleek

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2014, 02:32:17 pm »
I will carry on. I got a way to shoot through the center or off my hand on this bow if I want. The hole is one inch wide and I can see through it with the arrow in it just fine. I shoot with both eyes open but this should cause no problems.

Offline Cade

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2014, 06:11:58 pm »
Two summers ago I took a trip to Ecuador. At one of the markets in Quito there were about 45 inch bendy handled bows. Right in the middle of these bows were 1/2 inch drilled holes. The arrows for these had no fletchings and were only about 12 inches long and were pretty stiff. More like darts than arrows. I don't know if this helps but I think they are pretty interesting. I'm still mad at myself for not buying one.  >:(

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2014, 06:38:08 pm »
Just a thought, what if you lined the knot hole with heavy corse fur. Sorta like the modern whisker biscuit. Shoot heavy stiff arrows with very short feathers. Say, tapering from nothing to about a quarter of an inch high. Or a short banana cut. Just a thought. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!