Author Topic: Current project ... tiller review  (Read 8098 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Current project ... tiller review
« on: November 25, 2014, 05:41:25 pm »
Here's latest project.  Red oak board, 63" ntn, and 1 3/4" wide at fades.  Limb width is tapered beginning 3" beyond fades tapering to 1/2" tips.
Aiming for 35-40 lbs at 28".
First pic is braced 4".  Second pic 37# at 22".
To me, left limb appears to be bit more stiff than right.  It will be bottom limb, so maybe bit stiffer is good thing?
Whatcha say?

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:33:11 am by Knoll »
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bushboy

Re: Current project ... tiller review
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 06:12:35 pm »
I would scrape the outer right limb to take some stress off of the right fade.
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 06:14:55 pm »
Maybe a hand draw pic would give a better veiw?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 06:34:46 pm »
I will agree with bushboy on both accounts.  Little loose on the right fade, and a hand drawn pic may give a different perspective.  Looking pretty good though.  Might show an unbraced as well.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:42:34 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 07:01:55 pm »
what bushboy said :)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 07:23:38 pm »
Gotcha.
Will update tomorrow.
Thanks!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 03:14:01 am »
What's really important when determining correct tiller is the width profile. How you taper the width determines what the tiller should be like.
If it tapers in straight lines from the fades to the tips the it's a pyramid bow and should bend in an arc of a circle. This is because a pyramid will have little to no thickness taper. If the limb is the same thickness along it's length then the wood can bend the same amount everywhere (apart from right off the fades).
If your limb has a parallel width section out from the fades then it will have a thickness taper. So the tiller for this limb should be elliptical eg. as it gets thinner it can and should be bending progressively more out to the tip with the last 8 -10 inches to the very tip being stiffer - so you don't get a 'whip tiller'.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 05:01:52 am »
Looks might good to me. :) 
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline arachnid

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2014, 07:22:27 am »
+1 on what mike said.
If it`s a pyramid bow, it look pretty good. If not, the inner limb is bending a bit to much...

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2014, 09:27:53 am »
Modified op to include width profile info ... Limb width is tapered beginning 3" beyond fades tapering to 1/2" tips.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2014, 09:36:09 am »
I would go to full brace and carry on, slow and easy. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2014, 10:17:35 am »
From the splitting hairs department....Mike has a very good point.  Just be aware that your limb is feeling the most leverage right there at the end of the fade, i.e. it wants to bend there first.  The limb needs to be wider there to withstand the strain, not necessarily thicker.  It will take set or break if not wide enough to accommodate the strain.  This is really just a bit of thinking out loud on this subject.  Things to ponder.  Your very close and its looking good.  Just use your noodle and make sure that its good and sound at that spot. 

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2014, 03:07:30 pm »
The Wife may be absent for the day.  So here's where I'm at now.

Full brace and 25" on tillering stick.  Did lotsa sanding of limb edges to make them even more rounded than they were.  Most of tillering has involved removing wood from belly.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2014, 03:23:03 pm »
Looks good to me
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2014, 03:29:38 pm »
Looking good.