Author Topic: 3rd Annual Moon Tree Gathering  (Read 110464 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Re: 3rd Annual Moon Tree Gathering
« Reply #120 on: February 02, 2015, 08:07:58 am »
You are cleaning up this winter Greg.  Hope you got a big freezer.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #121 on: February 02, 2015, 08:33:05 am »
You are cleaning up this winter Greg.  Hope you got a big freezer.

I am only trapping in 3 areas with just a very few traps out.  I don't have time to check a lot before work.  I think I have 4 or 5 traps out.  Very good spots though.  The 2 bobcats and 2 of the coyotes came from the same spot.  There are plenty of trappers that catch waaay more fur than me, but I am tickled with my catch so far.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #122 on: February 02, 2015, 09:34:12 am »
Another beaver and another coyote caught this weekend.  We should have plenty of fur to practice on.

It sounds like a successful weekend.  All I got was one bunny Saturday.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #123 on: February 02, 2015, 02:00:38 pm »
You guys got me fired up for this event. I know a little about tanning. I've been doing my own taxidermy work for the last 6 years and have tanned out many of pelts and deer hides. Even boiled those nasty skulls out. The only thing I'm not into is skinning snakes. Is there a scheadule or time frame for certain events on certain days or does every thing kinda goes with the flow. Thanks

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #124 on: February 02, 2015, 02:06:27 pm »
Everything just kind of goes with the flow.  The only thing scheduled is dinner.  Dave likes to eat dinner around midnight  ;D   If you have any snakes that need skinning go ahead and bring them.  I'll zip them open for you. 

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #125 on: February 02, 2015, 02:54:40 pm »
Thanks Osage , but my ole buddy skins them for me I give him plenty of field corn from the barn to feed his critters.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #126 on: February 02, 2015, 04:00:28 pm »
Other than fleshing knives and fleshing beams and buckets, what other items do we need?  What are the best tanning solutions to use for soft tanning?  I think I understand the prep work, just not the actual tanning itself.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #127 on: February 02, 2015, 04:36:03 pm »
Other than fleshing knives and fleshing beams and buckets, what other items do we need?  What are the best tanning solutions to use for soft tanning?  I think I understand the prep work, just not the actual tanning itself.
I use Mckenzie ultimate acid for pickeling then Mckenzie tanning cream then On pelts I put leather oil on them then work them over a 1" square bar until they loosen up and dry. If you don't want rug type pelt then I put them on stretching wire frames

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #128 on: February 02, 2015, 08:26:06 pm »
I sure hope the weather cooperates this year.  Looks like we are going to have a great weekend of work and fun. 

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2015, 02:13:11 am »
Gutshot, I'm looking forward to learning from you.  I've only used Tandy's Tannery in a box and egg solution.  I've never really done a hair-on hide.

Greg, to remove hair I used to use the stuff in the Tannery in a Box.  The last few deer hide I did, I used ashes and water solution.  It take 3 to 5 days for the hair to loosen up nicely.  The ash solution does leave hide a bit gray, but by the time you work the hide out it's off white/cream white, plenty clean enough for smokin'.  The trick for a soft hide, in my limited experience, has been to work it, work it and work it more. If you start with a wet hide and work it until it's dried, it's going to be pretty soft.  If it's still not soft enough for you, wet it and work some more.  Pappy does a dry scrape method to remove the hair.  I'd love to see that done.

Everyone interested in doing this tanning process I would suggest having hides at various stages of the process so you can get your feet wet doing some of all of them.  But, remember tanning a hide doesn't happen is 3 day, from my experience.  Like if you're wanting to remove hair with ash solution, it needs to soak for at least 3 day with it being stirred 3 to 5 times a day, before the hair can be removed easily.

I plan to make two 8x8 stretching frames that will be hinged together to create a smoking frame.  I'll also buy some 3x4 so we can make addition frames as needed. 

And string, string and more string.  I'm talking about nylon type string/twine/cord of the paracord size.  Less stretch twine is better, but zero stretch parachod is pretty expensive.  My experience is you can go through 50ft of cord on one deer hide pretty quickly.

There are at least 3 of us, Wapiti, Gutshot and myself who have some experience in tanning hides, don't be afraid to ask questions.  But, be warned you might get three different answers.  haha In my studies of hide tanning, there seems to be as many different ways to tan a hide as there is to make a bow.

Lastly, it would be nice to know: what hides you're bring, where you plan to be in the process and what you want to accomplish with the hides.  It would give me an idea of what to plan for.

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2015, 07:04:55 am »
All of mine will be fur on pelts.  Bobcat, coyote and beaver.  I'm looking at possibly making quivers from mine.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2015, 07:11:27 am »
I'm going to trap a few skunks and bring them whole so you guys can show me how to skin them and then tan them >:D >:D

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2015, 08:00:42 am »
I will try to bring a fawn hide and 2 chipmunks.  I can bring my own stretching racks.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2015, 08:18:36 am »
I've only got one deer hide left in my freezer. I will get it fleshed out and get  by  it cut up in 4 sections for all phases of tan so you guys can see how I do it. I've also tried the ash and water but my experience hotter the weather the better and always use hard lumber ash. Cold weather was no good for mine

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2015, 11:23:39 am »
Just ordered a Mckenzie tanning kit.  Says it is enough to two deer hides.  That should about do what I have.