Author Topic: Anyone Ever actually have high-performance string problems?  (Read 10887 times)

Offline huisme

• I'm Marc, but not that Marc.
Anyone Ever actually have high-performance string problems?
« on: December 21, 2014, 04:33:41 am »
I've used dynema 97 for forever and it's never been the end of my bows, even when my cousin dry fired his molle from two inches of overdraw (still shooting, poor thing ::) )

Not trying to start arguments, just wondering what y'all have seen yourselves. Someone was concerned that I send a dynaflight string with their bow and only took comfort in my experience with the stuff.
50#@26"
Black locust. Black locust everywhere.
Mollegabets all day long.
Might as well make them short, save some wood to keep warm.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Anyone Ever actually have high-performance string problems?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 06:52:19 am »
Nope...
Only string probs I've ever had were slipping bowyers knots and serving opening up on continuous loop strings.
Only when tillering heavy warbows have I seen strings cutting into the wood with Yew.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 08:24:07 am »
I've cut a few strings while tillering with the edge of a scraper, but that is not the strings fault, is it?   No other problems, but I use b50.  Russ. 

Offline PatM

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 08:59:34 am »
I've cut a few strings while tillering with the edge of a scraper, but that is not the strings fault, is it?   No other problems, but I use b50.  Russ. 
He said high performance strings. >:D

Offline Comancheria

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 12:47:04 pm »
huisme,

I have read (somewhere and more than once) that normal shooting of a self bow with a fast flight string can harm the bow.  If you don't object, I will add to your thread the question: aside from cutting into the wood, what  would be the theory behind such a concern? Of course, the FF does not stretch as much--but once the bow is braced, with equal arrow weight, why would that hurt the bow?  Harsher and less forgiving vibration perhaps?
When sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane are outlawed, only outlaws will have sinew-backed Live Oak flatbows with Agave-fiber strings shooting arrows made from river cane!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 01:19:06 pm »
Been shooting FF strings with my bows for near 20 years and never a problem one.  I was told not to, for various reasons, but didn't heed the advice, and I am convinced it was just group think at the time.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 01:29:57 pm »
I think it's easy for unsubstantiated ideas to gain traction the bow making world (and everywhere else!). One person has a belief and tells it to everyone who asks who then go on to tell others. All it takes is a couple charismatic people to really push an idea forward and before you know it everyone is saying the same thing. We've all heard that fastflight is bad for wooden bows but we've pretty much never heard or seen that this is the case. But we've all seen countless bows that have performed just fine with fastflight. Even if a bow does get damaged while using fastflight can we really know that fastflight was the culprit or just poor wood/design/craftsmanship?

How many other things do we pass along as gospel that are perhaps worthy of consideration?

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 01:46:22 pm »
For years I have read horror stories about FF on trad bows but, I never met someone who had issues firsthand.  After many folks on this board started using it I tried it and never went back. IMHO the FF material is longer lasting, quieter and due to its smaller diameter easier to fit self nocks to.   I have been using DF97 for the past 5 yrs. with no issues on bows with and without tip overlays. 

Sean

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 01:49:32 pm »
A drawn bow is 7/8 broken???

{EDIT} I was just informed by a highly charismatic bow making guru that all of MY bows are indeed 7/8 broken.  My bad.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:08:35 pm by SLIMBOB »
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2014, 02:08:22 pm »
A drawn bow is 7/8 broken???
  " Fully drawn", which virtually no bow is.

Offline huisme

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2014, 03:39:36 pm »
I think it's easy for unsubstantiated ideas to gain traction the bow making world (and everywhere else!). One person has a belief and tells it to everyone who asks who then go on to tell others. All it takes is a couple charismatic people to really push an idea forward and before you know it everyone is saying the same thing. We've all heard that fastflight is bad for wooden bows but we've pretty much never heard or seen that this is the case. But we've all seen countless bows that have performed just fine with fastflight. Even if a bow does get damaged while using fastflight can we really know that fastflight was the culprit or just poor wood/design/craftsmanship?

How many other things do we pass along as gospel that are perhaps worthy of consideration?

That's exactly what I've been thinking ever since the incident. The one guy I've talked to who claims he's seen Angel strings break bows describes glue failures, not cut nocks, and so I am lead to believe the old glue, as opposed to the old wood/gla**, was not up to the more abrupt stop.

huisme,

I have read (somewhere and more than once) that normal shooting of a self bow with a fast flight string can harm the bow.  If you don't object, I will add to your thread the question: aside from cutting into the wood, what  would be the theory behind such a concern? Of course, the FF does not stretch as much--but once the bow is braced, with equal arrow weight, why would that hurt the bow?  Harsher and less forgiving vibration perhaps?

That's what I'm thinking, less give in the string means a more abrupt stop right?

Well, I've beat bushes with my bows, dropped them, sat on them, hit branches upon release because I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings, and I even stabbed a few sandbags with a molle lever to see what would happen. I think little/no stretch in a string is nothing compared to some of the abuse you can put a bow through.
50#@26"

Offline Badger

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2014, 05:03:15 pm »
   Iuse fast flite strings. I have had a few problems with self nocks on osage where it cut in to the bow, now I prefer to use nock over lays or pad the loop area a bit. I prefer to shoot barefinger so I will sometimes mix a little linen with the fastflite for a larger diameter string and I like the look better on a primitive bow. I have never had the no stretch aspect of stings cause a problem with the bow stopping too fast or anything related to no stretch.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2014, 05:24:22 pm »
Yes, I have had one problem while using it on a red oak log stave and that's all it took for me to never use FF or its variant.
I'd tell you the problem but it sounds like everyone has made up their minds anyway.
The problem would only be my fault. :)
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 05:46:40 pm »
I think the thin diameter on the string nock is more the problem than the material when it cuts into the wood

Offline huisme

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 06:25:54 pm »
Yes, I have had one problem while using it on a red oak log stave and that's all it took for me to never use FF or its variant.
I'd tell you the problem but it sounds like everyone has made up their minds anyway.
The problem would only be my fault. :)
Jawge

I'm not gonna give you any trouble if you want to give your side; so far it's all been one hand clapping. There's an inherent value to a thought-out differing opinion.

Brad, do you mean thinner string?
50#@26"