Author Topic: gonna try a boo back erc  (Read 5482 times)

Offline sleek

gonna try a boo back erc
« on: December 22, 2014, 07:58:00 pm »
First question is, can it ERC heat straighten? If it can, how hard is it to?

Beyond that im not going for help gh poundage. Anywhere between 40-55#@26 with a stiff handle and its 53.5" long. My boo strips arent wide at 3/4" wide. Ill be traping the back to a wider belly. Doing that should I reflex the bow much or try something else?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

Re: gonna try a boo back erc
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 08:16:19 pm »
I would not do it period unless it bent through the handle. Erc is just not that strong. Might be fun to try it though.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 08:25:52 pm »
So far every erc has literally blown up on me. But I see some get made that are astounding.  Figure im doing something wrong? I will make it a bendy then...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 08:30:51 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 09:45:43 pm »
Was hoping the discussion would go a little further on bending ERC....I'm going to be trying a sinew back recurved ERC.

I assume Badger it is because of the length????

Sleek,
Your first question still hasn't been answered "First question is, can it ERC heat straighten? If it can, how hard is it to?" would like to here more response on this one ..... :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 10:02:15 pm »
My grandson's dad has been shooting one for close to ten years. It is glued in the handle billets, 55#.

And, yes, I've bent ERC with a micro wave.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TimBo

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 11:19:32 pm »
Sorry I don't have any first hand experience bending ERC (although I have a cedar stave in my Upcoming Project Pile).  I have seen a couple of posts indicating that steam bending is the way to go, but you can't go too far with it.  It seems that Simon (simson) has done some ERC bending; perhaps he will chime in. 

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 11:46:36 pm »
I got 2 ERC staves online, and steamed in recurves no problem. I roughed them both out pretty green, like I usually do juniper, but they both deflexed on me pretty bad. I made a short unbacked low weight bow just to try it out, and to be honest it seemed a little too light and brittle. It's the 4th juniper species I've worked, and it's my least favorite yet, but maybe it was just the wood I had. I would love to try a sapling or a nice branch

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 11:54:56 pm »
My grandson's dad has been shooting one for close to ten years. It is glued in the handle billets, 55#.

Eddie that the bow I sent you? If so, made from boards as well.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 11:09:25 am »
I have used steam on ERC successfully. I steamed in recurves here: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,48466.0.html

Boo on erc is here: http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,48559.0.html
I think it should be heavy trapped to not overpower the erc. If it is a straight stick (no recurves) I would glue in a good amount of Perry reflex
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 12:51:23 pm »

Eddie that the bow I sent you? If so, made from boards as well.

Yep; that's the one. Still shooting strong at 55#.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 01:00:49 pm »

I think it should be heavy trapped to not overpower the erc. If it is a straight stick (no recurves) I would glue in a good amount of Perry reflex

If ERC has to be backed and needs to be heavily trapped for a boo backing why it considered such a good bow wood? What redeeming attributes does it have?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 02:17:46 pm »

If ERC has to be backed and needs to be heavily trapped for a boo backing why it considered such a good bow wood? What redeeming attributes does it have?

Don, ERC and all junipers are extremely strong in compression, just need a little help with tension.
It's very light as well, and very springy. These are all reason why it's such a great combo with sinew

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 02:18:39 pm »
Plus it's absolutely gorgeous wood, and a treat to work. Smells amazing

Offline DavidV

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 04:30:21 pm »

Just because a wood has to be treated differently doesn't mean it's bad bow wood. I could say the same thing about having to chase a growth ring on osage when hickory can take grain runouts like nothing else. ERC makes fast shooting bows if done right
Springfield, MO

Offline Badger

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 04:47:50 pm »
    I like erc in the right application but I think he said his was 3/4" wide? thats pretty narrow for a 53" long bows.