Author Topic: skipping the long string  (Read 4686 times)

Offline Renacs

skipping the long string
« on: December 22, 2014, 09:54:35 pm »
  How many or any of you skip using a longstring. When tillering? Over the last few year I've been going straight to brase. And since then I've had less bows tiller funky. Have any of you noticed the same results?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: skipping the long string
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 10:14:57 pm »
I have on occasion butI don't usually becasue I can really see how the limbs are bending with the long string. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 10:15:21 pm »
I don't skip it, but I go to low brace early.  I use it to get there once floor tiller shows a good even flex on both limbs.  The long string just tells me the low brace will be even.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 10:47:30 pm »
  Some years back, I floor tillered a hickory that I thought was perfect ??? To my amazement after bracing it looked like a hockey stick and caused severe set on one side. I have to use the long string to see both limbs working evenly...
                                                                                                                                 Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline fiddler49

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 12:18:22 am »
I just make my bow string a little long to start with and shorten with timber hitch.  cheers fiddler49

Offline bow101

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 12:23:12 am »
Today for the first time I went to full brace right away on a 3 piece bow.  Low weight bow mind you........like 30'ish or so.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 01:34:43 am »
I love using the long string but once I get the tips to move 6" or so I move to low brace if everything is OK. Shortly after low brace I like my limbs bending evenly and together. From then on it is just reducing weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 02:37:15 am »
I floor tiller and go to brace. I have gotten so good that sometimes ( read lucky ) my tiller is spot on. I never really have a bad tiller at brace.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 03:49:10 am »
I don't skip it, but I go to low brace early.  I use it to get there once floor tiller shows a good even flex on both limbs.  The long string just tells me the low brace will be even.
+1
I don't floor tiller..
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

mikekeswick

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 04:06:28 am »
The long string is your friend. Less stress on the stave than when braced and it will tell you everything you need to know. I go to about 20 inch draw on the long string. It really helps with set but you need to know how it alters the limbs shape compared to actual brace.

Online chamookman

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 04:35:17 am »
Unless it's a really wonky stave, I too skip the long string. But, I do an aggressive floor tiller that comes with experience. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 04:55:02 am »
Almost always use one unless it is a very light weight bow. :)I use a long string just long enough to go end to end and a tiller stick 1 inch at a time until I get ready for low brace, when all is even there I go to the tiller tree. Slow I know but I am not usually in any big hurry anyway to get one braced. ;) :) :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 07:51:02 am »
I almost never use one anymore. By the time I get it braced its usually about 10 pounds over weight, so there isn't that much to take off to bring it to full draw.
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 08:28:33 am »
I may be the worst at floor tillering anyone has seen so I skip it and go strait to long string
If you are good at floor tillering then you can skip the long string
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 08:34:06 am »

I almost never use one anymore. By the time I get it braced its usually about 10 pounds over weight, so there isn't that much to take off to bring it to full draw.

Yup, that's what he taught me!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.