Author Topic: Windows 8.1  (Read 4736 times)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
Windows 8.1
« on: December 25, 2014, 01:56:41 am »
The Wife got me a nextbook as Christmas gift to replace my lil Asus EeePC that's still running XP, and just keeps on tickin'.  But with XP no longer being supported and the Eee getting older every day, I've been looking for something new.
Nextbook seems to be nice machine.  Old eyes appreciate the somewhat bigger screen & better resolution.  And it's useful to be able to use it as a tablet AND then hook it onto the keyboard and use as laptop.
But Windows 8.1?  I hate Microsoft!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
Re: Windows 8.1
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2014, 02:15:14 am »
Hahah, I was just ranting about this. I'm at my wife's parents for Xmas in Boston, and they use windows 8.1. Can't stand it.  It updated itself and ended up locking us out because it needed out Microsoft account password, which we couldn't remember and wouldn't accept the password that we had used numerous times before to log in. Can't stand the "start screen" I just get lost and frustrated using it.  I loved xp and windows 7, which is what I currently use. Can't stand 8.   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2014, 10:31:05 am »
My daughter got me a laptop last year that had Windows 8 on it. After a few hours of screwing with it (she's my tech guy) she decided to send it back for a laptop with Windows 7. Windows 7 is similar enough to XP that it didn't take me too long to get used to it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 10:42:15 am »
I dumped my old XP PC for a new one this year. The computer shop I do business with won't even sell a computer with Windows 8 on it and it is a big shop. I like Windows 7 a bunch.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2014, 11:15:48 am »
There are 2 books out to help with Windows8 at our local book store. They are called "Windows8 for Dummies" and "Windows8 for Old Dummies".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2014, 11:50:42 am »
About a year ago I bought a new computer with 8.1 on it, and the sales person assured me that it was very easy to get used to. He lied big time. So far I have seen NOOOOO advantage for the user in that program. Wait till you want to save something. In spite of my best efforts, I usually cannot get it to go where I can find it. It even puts text documents in among photos, and puts photos in places that are hard to find. If I'm trying to attach a photo to an Email or post it to a web page, many times it opens the folder where the photo is supposed to be, but it is not there and no amount of trying can put it there. I had better get back to a Christmas attitude, because I could fuss a long time about that thing: Explorer failing to open or to work when open, difficulty in shutting down, oh yes I did say I was going to put this to rest didn't I.

Offline Barrage

« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2014, 11:52:35 am »
Fellers,

Since I don't know if a link is allowed, google classic shell.

It is a free download that brings back your normal, regular start menu that never should have went away.  With this, I can't even tell that you are not in xp/ win7.
Travis

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2014, 12:06:39 pm »
You will get used to it. If it is a touch screen it makes sense. If not you don't have to use the tiles. I use XP, 7 and 8.1 at work.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 12:41:49 pm »
There are 2 books out to help with Windows8 at our local book store. They are called "Windows8 for Dummies" and "Windows8 for Old Dummies".

Which one did you buy Pat?   ;D
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2014, 12:59:03 pm »
:)   ;)   :)
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 01:48:33 pm »
I'm waiting for the old fart dumb ass version, Clint.  ;)

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2014, 07:00:58 pm »
Quote from: Barrage link=!topic=49987.msg682548#msg682548 date=1419519803
... google classic shell.
It is a free download that brings back your normal, regular start menu ...
Yes, classic shell is helpful.
Thanks!

Offline BOWMAN53

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 04:18:46 pm »
hahaha you old guys are funny. i got a tablet that runs windows 8 with all the widgets and window apps and it also runs full windows as the classic desktop. you should be able to get to the desktop version fairly easily.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 05:07:38 pm »
For once I can offer a tip that can help since this is what I do for a living as an IT Director. For everyone that has a Windows 8.1 computer or tablet, you can set it so it will boot directly to the desktop instead of the Metro Tiles or Start screen. Here are the steps:

1. After booting Windows 8.1, click the Desktop tile to enter Desktop mode.

2. Right-click on any open area in the taskbar, then click Properties.

3. Select the Navigation tab, then scroll down to the Start section. Check the box next to "Go to the desktop instead of Start when I sign in."

4. Click OK, then reboot. Windows should put you right into Desktop.

If you want to go to the Start screen, click the old start button. And if you find yourself on the Start screen and want to get back to the desktop side, just click the default Desktop box.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 09:05:09 pm »
Windows H8

>:(
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.