Author Topic: Windows 8.1  (Read 4737 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Windows 8.1
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 02:36:20 pm »
It's funny how people hate anything new. Yeah, it is a PITA to figure it all out sometimes, but chances are in a few weeks you wont even notice.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2014, 07:01:23 pm »
9 months and it is still an absolute clusterfluster. 

One thing I cannot seem to get past is how I am unable to move the pointer anywhere near the edges of the screen without the stupid bar coming over to interrupt the work flow.  This is an absolute pain because I use an spreadsheet that requires me to use the right edge of my screen. 

Seriously thinking of going with a Mac and soon!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 08:14:35 pm »
Absolutely hate W 8.1!  I'm learning to use a PC all over again, kinda sorta. Wasn't very good on the previous versions, but I was getting there. Now....dang it!
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2014, 08:50:20 pm »
Poor ole MS is in a corner.  Seems they've come up pretty much a bust in the phone marketplace.  Popularity of tablet machines couldn't be ignored.  And, of course, their dominance of the pc market had to be maintained.  So the objective of developing an os for tablets and pc's made sense.

But pc's are mouse/keyboard centric while tablets are touchscreen centric.  So W8 tries to be both fish & fowl.

JoJo and others may be correct in maintaining that it will take a bit of time/experience for users to become accustomed to W8.  Others argue that Microsoft needs to make changes to the os to overcome the backlash/resistance of its user base.  Likely a combo of both.

But in the meantime ... it ain't purty or fun!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline StevenT

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 10:56:38 am »
@JW - You can turn the edge functions off if you really want to. Go into the setting and there are separate controls for turning edge functions off.

For everyone else - When Win 8 first came out I didn't like it either. But I had to learn it. All my new work machines are being installed with 8. I try to impress on my users that they have two computers. One is a tablet for running apps like on your phone, iPad or Droid. The other is like the old Win 7 desktop. If they want to run an app, use the App computer. Otherwise stay on the Win 7 desktop side and treat it like a normal computer.

Windows 10:  If you did not know, Microsoft is going to come out with Windows 10 sometime next year. I have the Win 10 beta loaded on a computer and testing it. Microsoft is going back to the Windows 7 desktop look. The Meta Tile or Start page is going to go away. All apps and programs will run from the desktop. When you click on the start button, it brings up the old style menu and also all the icons for the apps. It is easy to ask why didn't they do this is the first place. But it was a growing process from Windows 8 (which everyone hated), to Windows 8.1 which was much better to finally getting it right with Windows 10.

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 03:33:35 pm »
I've been using Windows 8 for the past year or so and I while I've now gotten used to it, I still find it to be over-complicated and not very user-friendly. But this is to be expected I suppose. We're in a transition period for technology right now. We're moving from devices that were strictly desktop machines to devices that are increasingly mobile. It will probably be a few iterations of design before they nail down a good system that can work well in the diverse tech market that we have today.

Offline coxral

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2014, 02:05:14 pm »
Never been a PC/Windows fan but my ol' MacBook bought the farm and I could only afford this HP (Hunk of Poop!) laptop! I sure miss my Mac!  :(