Author Topic: Poll, bow strings  (Read 13509 times)

Offline Badger

Poll, bow strings
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:41:08 am »
  It appears that bow strings will be an issue of contention while establishing rules in our flight division. We need feed back from the bowyers here on PA even if you are not presently involved in flight shooting.

Regular flight shooting which is the more pure form where maximum distance is our only objective will most likely go with natural strings. I would support this as well. So the poll I am taking will only be in reference to the tradtional classes of flight shooting which is a less restrictive entry point more tailored to give bowyers a chance to showcase there wares.

Please state your preference in strings and if you like give a reason. I favor allowing synthetic in traditional classes only. It is possible that maybe the tribal bow class may want to stick to natural strings but we can vote on this. So the poll is " natural only" or allow " man made string material"

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Poll, bow strings
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 12:24:01 pm »
How about setting up a poll with 3 options Steve?.  Natural only, synthetic and blend
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 12:34:13 pm »
A blend seems too finicky to decide on allowable ratios.

Offline Badger

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 12:52:49 pm »
   Pat, when I do testing I often use my blends just for safety and convenience. I use weight. Any experienced official could look at a string and see if it were too skinny. About 125 grains for a 62" bow is usually what my blends way. String weight has more effect than the material used. What if we just said 100 grains minimum weight for a string. This would take skinny strings out. You really wouldn't have to weigh a string unless it looked suspiciously skinny. Breaking and making strings can really slow down a shoot and have a negative affect on an otherwise great weekend. No added benefit to using fast flight as long as the weight is there except convenience. I spend half my day at flight shoots just making strings. They often last one or two shots.

Offline avcase

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 08:14:29 pm »
Our equipment is only as good as the weakest link. It isn't the fault of the string that the bow is too strong!  ;)

I don't see flight shooting as being a benchmarking competition for bows.  A very good string and arrow maker can sometimes beat a very good bow maker. A great flight archer with superior tuning can beat a poor archer with superior equipment.  There are many dimensions to the game of flight archery that must work together, and this is what keeps the sport interesting. When I research some of the longest flight shots of the pre-synthetic materials age, one of the first things I learned to appreciate is the construction of the strings.  Allowing synthetic strings takes the importance of the string out of the game. I see it as similar to allowing synthetic arrows, or replacing the archer with a shooting machine, or backing wood with glass.

When I got started on bow making, the only thing I concentrated on was making a fast bow, but I never did very well.  So I decided to let bow design take a back seat for a few years while exploring arrow design, string making, tuning, and improving as an archer. It is only recently that I find the need to get back to work on making the bows faster.

Realistically, a natural string only rule would probably be seen as a major barrier to most primitive archers.  So I think it is reasonable not to require it at all unsanctioned events.  But I would encourage the practice of highlighting results of those that did shoot natural strings. Eventually, maybe it will help generate more interest in this area and we will start to see more spinners at our flight shoots!

Alan

Offline Badger

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 09:21:54 pm »
   I can very much understand the purpose in keeping the regular flight shooting classes pure. But the traditional wood bow classes would not be flight shooting. It is more for the worlds bowyers to test out their bows as they will be shot. The class is tailored to everyday bowmakers. No need to put on any string restrictions, it defeats the purpose. The arrows will not be flight arrows, they will be the same arrows the bows are designed to shoot and the string material is part of that same package. This is not flight shooting in the full sense. These are classes of bows just going head to head. I would also provide a valuable service to bowmakers in the data it colects. No need for restrictions I say.

My vote is yes on man made strings.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 10:01:23 am »
I've always found it unfair that Warbows are allowed the use of FF string when they shoot competition whereas everyone else has to use natural fiber.  If, as some here say, high quality linen is readily available then they should be able to source some, after all this is what they used to use on Warbows
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 10:38:08 am »
I've always found it unfair that Warbows are allowed the use of FF string when they shoot competition whereas everyone else has to use natural fiber.  If, as some here say, high quality linen is readily available then they should be able to source some, after all this is what they used to use on Warbows

This brings up the man made materials in building as well. Are the classes that are made to use natural fiber strings also limited in what type of glues they use? If you can't use "Modern" strings, how is it then ok to use modern glues? To me it becomes a safety issue. Would you trust horn knocks as much if they were glued on with hide glue? This is just my 2 cents. I have no dog in the fight. Just my view from the outside. I say if it is going to be a "Pure" class, make it pure, not just kinda pure.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline adb

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 10:58:45 am »
My vote is yes on man made strings as well.

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 12:32:28 pm »
I think man made would be nice. If only natural strings are allowed id loose all interest. I dont make them and synthetic works better. Just go with a measured string weight for the rules.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 03:33:14 pm »
Man made. Yes

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 04:24:13 pm »
I would be more interested if man made materials were allowed.

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 04:28:55 pm »
   It looks like in the traditional classes man made strings will get the nod. Appreciate the input guys and keep it comming. The traditional classes are tailored to meet the needs of the every day bowyers who would like to compare there bows cast to other similar bows shooting them as they are intended to be actually shot.

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 12:35:52 am »
The logic " intended to be actually shot" is all the reason I think that is needed really. Will/should there be a weight limit or something on strings?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 08:08:33 am »
modern materials for me also
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !