Author Topic: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress  (Read 349217 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress
« Reply #1125 on: September 04, 2015, 05:20:02 pm »
Don't know why steelslinger was on your list.  I got a real nice vine maple how from him. His work is done
Let me fix it, I do have him as sent. If I don't i apologize.

He is marked as sent and received. He is mentioned because he is a trade runner, and I haven't heard from him. I need to figure out who has who so we can end this trade. I can see a few days, I can see a week. I can even see a month if the guy you are building for knows that you are working on the bow. We are at 19 days. 3 people have yet to receive. One sender is a trade runner, a fact that he has bragged about on his facebook page, yet I am having to attempt 3 different forms of contact, 4 if you include sending him a friend request on Facebook.

Steelslinger has Shipped, that isn't the issue, we have people who haven't gotten a bow, and he is another trade runner.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:25:18 pm by JoJoDapyro »
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #1126 on: September 04, 2015, 05:24:45 pm »
Don't know why steelslinger was on your list.  I got a real nice vine maple how from him. His work is done

Your absolutely right, that was some time ago. I remember now you posting this in a separate thread.
Jojo he is right, steelslinger sent a beautiful bow to Gaur. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #1127 on: September 04, 2015, 05:28:13 pm »
Let me clarify, Neither Mo-coon-catcher nor Lebhuntfish were on my list. In the spirit of the trade I am still fretting over where their bows are. Whoever their trade leader was should be beating the brush to flush out the people who haven't sent and why. Sadly I have a feeling that the non shipping/posting one is the same guy. And in Steelslingers defense, he did say he would help in a smaller capacity if i remember correctly.

Offline son of massey

« Reply #1128 on: September 04, 2015, 07:47:02 pm »
Don't add a bunch of stipulations about who can and cannot join, just have senders send all bows to one (trusted and known) individual. There is a deadline at which point the one guy has all bows in hand and can make sure that those who sent bows in in turn get one. Those who didn't don't. The one issue would be shipping the bows twice, but I think that that could be worked around.

SOM

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #1129 on: September 04, 2015, 09:09:45 pm »
Don't add a bunch of stipulations about who can and cannot join, just have senders send all bows to one (trusted and known) individual. There is a deadline at which point the one guy has all bows in hand and can make sure that those who sent bows in in turn get one. Those who didn't don't. The one issue would be shipping the bows twice, but I think that that could be worked around.

SOM

That adds a heavy burden to people shipping. How about know that you might get something you don't like? I know (sort of) the issue with one of the trade bows. There are several that have been deemed garbage. Yet to my knowledge no one has had the balls to let their sender know what the issue was. Man up and let your sender know. So instead of the person sending a bow that they assume their guy likes, they know what issues to work on for the next time.

There have been mentions of the bow posts with a lot of views and few comments, and that those are the bad bows. How about someone points out what the issues are? Pearly is great with this, he rarely pulls punches. I like that! Not many people got good at something without falling on their faces.

Offline son of massey

« Reply #1130 on: September 04, 2015, 09:21:00 pm »
Yes shipping goes up. I see the bigger issue with people not sending anything out, not with people sending out bows that are substandard quality-we all had to start somewhere and the community here is generally helpful. Even saying that something looks like crap, and here is why, is helpful. The bigger issue is taking someone for a ride and trying to get something for free, and having a middleman is the best way I can see that solve that. I have no horse in the race, I am not trying to argue any given point really, so take the opinion for as little as it is worth. It would avoid the situation where a guy gets a nice bow that someone spent hours on never intending to send anything out himself.

SOM

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #1131 on: September 04, 2015, 10:36:45 pm »
If I run it next year it will be simple, and, invitational.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #1132 on: September 04, 2015, 10:42:23 pm »
By invite only huh? Thats an interesting thought....
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #1133 on: September 04, 2015, 11:01:57 pm »
Well,, what do you think? no bickering and everybody knows who you are dealing with and maybe some real, good eye candy , and an article for the Magazine.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline sleek

« Reply #1134 on: September 04, 2015, 11:20:39 pm »
I like the idea honestly.  But isn't that what we did this time? New guys had to be vetted by trusted folks on here who knew them? And honestly it seems its some of the more familiar guys who didnt come through this go around. 

Now I dont know if this can be enforced but personally,  if I vouched for a guy and he flakes, id take personal responsibility and make up for his end. But thats just me. If everyone were like that there would be less problems.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #1135 on: September 04, 2015, 11:25:03 pm »
If I run it next year it will be simple, and, invitational.

I like that idea Mullet. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bubby

« Reply #1136 on: September 04, 2015, 11:43:41 pm »
That is a giod plan Eddie
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #1137 on: September 04, 2015, 11:59:03 pm »
I wouldn't have a problem with an invitation only bow trade. Here is the issue I see with this years trade, sorry if I recover points I had already covered.
1. Some of the people on the list weren't on the First posted list. Did they not follow the rules of the trade and message their info and post on the signup page?
2. We have a whole lot of crying and complaining about bows that have one flaw or another, with no photographic proof of said flaws.
That creates some issues. First is that then more than likely the person that received a "bad" bow is going to hold a grudge against someone  who will not know, and if they do will not know why. Second, the sender then never gets to attempt to make things right.
3. There is a chance that the person who gets a bow cries wolf to get a second bow.
4. The person who gets a "Flawed" bow send messages to other members about how bad of a product someone makes, and ruins someones reputation with the group as a whole.
5. Someone gets a "Flawed" bow and decides at that point that they aren't going to send. Just so everyone is aware, that is fraud.
6. People having unreal expectations of what this trade is about. It was supposed to be about a good time, and building a community. It ended up with people getting pissed because they didn't get the bow from Mike Kestwick, Hunter Bob, or Patrick. It has in fact soured my otherwise very high opinion of some of the members of the community. I am sure it did the same to others. If you received a bad bow you owe it to your sender to let them make it right. If you don't let them know that they sent you a flawed bow, how will they know what to improve next time?
7. People who get into the trade and don't know what they are getting into. Both members running the show, and people building.
I can think of one member that put his very essence into his bow, in the process I think JeffP51 went through A-E before he got one he was proud to put his name on.

In the end it has been extremely taxing to babysit supposedly grown men. It has been taxing to worry about a tainted reputation. I have exchanged well over 100 private messages throughout this trade, I wish I had saved them all. The back biting needs to stop and people need to be adults about being disappointed.

Offline sleek

« Reply #1138 on: September 05, 2015, 12:07:46 am »
Im disappointed that nobody was disappointed about receiving a bow from me like the were from mike, hunter bob, and patrick  :( >:D  Yeah, im that guy..... the one who cuts up in class....

Offline bubbles

• PM110769
« Reply #1139 on: September 05, 2015, 12:49:21 am »
I manned up and let my sender know the issues I had with his bow.  Otherwise the message will get out that you can do a lackluster job and it's okay. I checked out some of the bows he posted in the past and this was below his standard. Id rather not mention who it is for the exact reason that I don't want to ruin somebody's reputation on the site. Hopefully he'll get the idea to put a better effort in next year.  I dont want somebody else to make me a make up bow or anything like that, thats not what it is about. I want a decent effort from whoever signed up and committed to the trade.   

Instead of a middleman, why not a no ship policy until Aug 15th at which point pics of the finished bows would be sent in and you woukd get a shipping confirmation  from the organizer. Anybody who doesnt make the deadline doesnt get a bow, and anybody whose shipper didnt come through gets matched up which one that is close to their specs as possible. You would still make a bow for a specific person, but there just would be some juggling by the organizers at the shipping date to make sure you get a bow as close to your stated specs as possible.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 01:11:46 am by bubbles »