Author Topic: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress  (Read 349411 times)

Offline JonW

Re: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress
« Reply #450 on: May 08, 2015, 02:02:38 pm »
I have officially shipped. I will let the recipient post pics if he feels it's worthy :)

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #451 on: May 08, 2015, 02:31:18 pm »
Awesome JohnW! When should I be looking for it! >:D Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #452 on: May 08, 2015, 02:53:54 pm »
I got a couple things in the works, I'm leaning toward the ipe takedown. Gotta make a longer string. I'm gonna need some advice in tillering. I also came into possession of some 10 yr old Osage lumber, 6' of straight grain  >:D ordered some boo from Carson. So we'll see if I get something glued up. Sometimes I'm just not into a particular bow ATM and I start something else. To at least have it ready to go when I feel. We'll see who the contenders are. I gotta make about 6 strings for the others too. We got a bit  O:)
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline sleek

« Reply #453 on: May 08, 2015, 06:23:33 pm »
Totally know what you mean. If you arent in to mood, dont touch it. Only thgin I will do is debark and chase rings when im not in the mood.  That way right now actually.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

« Reply #454 on: May 08, 2015, 06:34:05 pm »
I'm almost done with the last of the bows I had promised people before the trade, so I'm almost ready to to put some time into my TB. I just gotta clean it up, put on the finish and make a string for it.

Kyle

Offline bushboy

« Reply #455 on: May 10, 2015, 05:30:11 pm »
Well plan A drew first blood!mine!lol! One of my shoot in banged up arrows broke in 2, back half shot off opposite of. The arrow pass.had to pull out 4 carbon fiber splinters out of my thumb that dug in more than inch!owwie!my daughter said it was cool, so I think it may be the one the green mollegaard!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline sleek

« Reply #456 on: May 10, 2015, 05:44:52 pm »
There should be no such thing as banged up shoot in arrows. As you have discovered,  they are very dangerous.  Im glad your ok, but it could have been much much worse. Google arrow in hand images to get an idea. Please, for the sake of you and anybody around, get rid of arrows with damaged shafts.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #457 on: May 18, 2015, 09:53:24 am »
Yes sleek,once bitten, twice shy! Tried a. Couple of girdal style leather wraps,but somehow they didn't look right.so I found some elm bark from last year,cleaned up the inner bark and have soaking in linseed oil.never tried this before so I don't know how it will work?
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #458 on: May 20, 2015, 07:11:48 pm »
Been a bit too quiet here lately. How is everyone? I have been slacking quite a bit. Shot my trade bow a bit more tonight. Placed the knocking point and added rabbit string silencers. I want to get it out next pay day, so next week. Seems like a gooder. I had an issue with the top limb sticking in the socket, but go that figured out. I hope my guy likes it.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline pincushin

« Reply #459 on: May 20, 2015, 11:27:22 pm »
Im just getting back from school so im thinking dog would elb

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #460 on: May 20, 2015, 11:55:24 pm »
I have officially shipped. I will let the recipient post pics if he feels it's worthy :)

Where are the pictures  >:(  Its been almost 2 weeks.  If I got a JonW bow in the mail I'd be posting pictures of it and showing it off. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #461 on: May 21, 2015, 12:04:52 am »
I've been getting very little work done an my bow here lately. If it rains this weekend I will be in the shop for sure. Got it floor tillered but this build isn't out of the norm for me. I tend to take my time. Hope to have it done by mojam and shoot it a bunch there. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline J05H

« Reply #462 on: May 21, 2015, 12:35:09 am »

Where are the pictures  >:(  Its been almost 2 weeks.  If I got a JonW bow in the mail I'd be posting pictures of it and showing it off. 

It was definitely beautiful. Unfortunately, it didn't last long. It succumbed to a tiny pin knot within the first ten minutes after I unwrapped it. I wish I'd taken some pics before... the incident. I was test drawing to get a feel for it, and I heard a tic, but I drew it again like a moron and boom. Pin knots are tricky, as we all know. It definitely wasn't Jon's fault. If anything, it was mine, but when I told Jon he immediately offered to send me another one. I can hardly wait. He's seems like a great guy.

I took some pics after the break. Its still beautiful, even in two pieces. You can see where the crack started in the pin knot, then spread to the outside.

If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline J05H

« Reply #463 on: May 21, 2015, 12:42:02 am »
BTW, you can see one of my works in progress propped up in the background of the first pic. It just roughed out at the moment but I plan to get it on the caul very soon. My other in progress bow is off the caul and ready for tillering. I'll post some pics when I have something interesting to post.
If you never have time to do it right, you'll always have time to do it over.

Offline sleek

« Reply #464 on: May 21, 2015, 01:09:26 am »
That sucks man! I wouldnt know how to react either as the builder or recipient. But wood is unpredictable.  Especially when changing climates. Glad he is replacing it for you, not that any of us wouldnt.