Author Topic: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress  (Read 352250 times)

Offline NeolithicMan

• No beliefs, just ideas
Re: 2015 Primitive Archer bow trade works in progress
« Reply #120 on: February 19, 2015, 10:53:26 am »
Just spit on it JoJo, should hold just fine  :laugh:
John, 40-65# @ 28" Central New York state. Never enough bows, never enough arrows!

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #121 on: February 19, 2015, 10:58:02 am »
I plan on using JB weld or epoxy
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline bubby

« Reply #122 on: February 19, 2015, 11:01:33 am »
Pappy has a build a long on a takedown sleeve in the how too's
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #123 on: February 19, 2015, 11:17:53 am »
Gluing on highlander bull horn overlays on the hhb I am working on. Thay are a cool looking bull and the horn is sweet also.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #124 on: February 19, 2015, 11:32:42 am »
I'm sure it's sweet bob
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Drewster

« Reply #125 on: February 19, 2015, 05:40:50 pm »
Record cold day here so I figured it would be a good time to heat treat the hickory bow I'm working on and enjoy some of the warmth.  Problem was, it was so cold that it took me longer than usual to get it done. 
When your shop is only 48° it takes the wood a while to get hot......and stay hot.  I added a few inches of reflex while doing the heat treating too.  But, alas, I got 'er done.  Now for the wait to rehydrate.

Drew - Boone, NC

Offline KellyG

« Reply #126 on: February 19, 2015, 10:02:32 pm »
Well I have not started yet but I think I will lay out an hickory pyramid long bow. I have one that I need to tiller for another person I like the looks of it so far. I my swap trade bow maybe I will toast the belly like Drewster has done.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #127 on: February 20, 2015, 09:55:22 am »
That's a nice looking workshop you got there drewster

Offline Drewster

« Reply #128 on: February 20, 2015, 01:18:03 pm »
That's a nice looking workshop you got there drewster

Thanks Aaron.  I built the maple workbench when I was in my mid 20s......now at 66 I've been blessed to spend many hours enjoying it and the rest of my shop.
Drew - Boone, NC

Offline Renacs

« Reply #129 on: February 20, 2015, 01:22:44 pm »
Drew,I'd be in a t-shirt if my workshop was 48degrees. Im dying to get back in mine.  I figured I would have been done with my trade bow by now, but I'm on plan C . Maybe tomorrow ill be able to invest some hours.

Offline bushboy

« Reply #130 on: February 20, 2015, 08:05:58 pm »
Don't care,suppose to be in the. - 40C tomorrow, gonna make this baby bend!am used to. Working in these temps anyways,just gotta wear gloves,i hate gloves,lol!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline steve b.

« Reply #131 on: February 20, 2015, 08:32:29 pm »
I'm going to send at least two bows.  Not because I want to beat everyone else, out, but because I love to make bows, have a lot of staves, and alot of time, and because it further guarantees my recipient will be happy with at least one of the bows.  Actually I'll probably send two bows to his/her specs and either a kid's bow or a narrow stave of something like oceanspray--whatever I can jam into the box.

Tomorrow I'll post pics of the first--a rawhide backed 60sum inch oceanspray longbow with osage handle and tip overlays........

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #132 on: February 20, 2015, 09:03:10 pm »
I'm going to send at least two bows.  Not because I want to beat everyone else, out, but because I love to make bows, have a lot of staves, and alot of time, and because it further guarantees my recipient will be happy with at least one of the bows.  Actually I'll probably send two bows to his/her specs and either a kid's bow or a narrow stave of something like oceanspray--whatever I can jam into the box.

Tomorrow I'll post pics of the first--a rawhide backed 60sum inch oceanspray longbow with osage handle and tip overlays........

Your over the top buddy! I hope my name is on your list!

I am hoping to at least get mine done before the deadline. I know I will but with the weather we are having and I found out today that I have pneumonia. Been out of work since Wednesday. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #133 on: February 20, 2015, 09:15:57 pm »
You guys are doing a marvelous job!!! I'm loving these bows being made and the effort put forth.
If any of you are having any problems with your staves, which always seems to happen, I would like to kindly donate one to help out. No sense in you posting it here, just send me an email or a PM with the specs you need to meet. I'll do my best to get you taken care of.
If there is a need for more than one person I can cover a few if you are willing to pay shipping.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline duke3192

• pm109331
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2015, 09:30:30 pm »
Fred, that is a very nice offer, you could contact the guys running this and offer to be an alternate if somebody doesn't mange to get their bow done.
charter member of traditional bow hunters of Florida.