Author Topic: sidewinder buildalong  (Read 50772 times)

Offline bobbykelley

Re: sidewinder buildalong
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 09:03:49 am »
As with others my pace is really slow. I do most of my work from the bed of my truck as I'm usually sitting at soccer practice for my boys. But I'll try and keep a pic log.
I make mistakes but I learn.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 09:16:40 am »
Sounds like a great idea. I'm in
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 09:50:16 am »
Listen. You guys are under no pressure. Work it as you see fit and post progress as you make it. Its all good. I dont like bow deadlines anyway. Takes the carefree fun out of it.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 12:30:44 pm »
I agree.  there is no need to hurry.  I am here for entertainment purposes only.  In the words of Miracle Max, "Don't rush me sonny.  You rush a miracle, you get lousy miracles."  Same is true here.

Offline Shaneisneato

• Somewhere around Louisville
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 01:05:34 pm »
Like half the other guys posting here I am a slow and new builder...Should seeing all these sister staves turned into bows is going to be awesome.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2015, 12:11:40 am »
finally got my stave in the mail today.  I keep looking at it trying to think how I can make two bows out of it, or if I should not try and get greedy. How wide does osage need to be?

Let's see what the rest of you are getting. . .

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2015, 12:28:06 am »
Got mine today too. Took it down to one growth ring. Mine is pretty thin. I need to do some thinking about one knot in it not sure if I should cut it out or use it in the profile.
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2015, 01:49:15 am »
Mine is waiting for me ,at the post office.  I got home late frome work :(.  Can't wait to see it in the morning.  I like the idea of showing the progress of these staves.  Such a generous thing for Danny to do for so many people.  Thanks again man

Matt Kulchak

Offline GB

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2015, 04:19:20 am »
Mine came today, too, and I'm liking it.
Going to chase a ring and rough it out this weekend and plug away at it when I have the time.
Thanks Danny!

Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2015, 11:26:40 am »
I received my stave a few days ago. This is my first time putting the knife to osage. I must say this wood is a pleasure to work. Shagbark hickory is what I have the most access too so my first couple of bows and failed attempts have been with it. The rings are tight on my stave so I'm thinking this will be my first attempt at backing as well. I was able to follow a single ring throughout though, but there is one spot on the edge of the limb I went through. It must have been super thin there. I took my time and did the best I could. My stave has some snake, one decent knot and some pins. I have a little scraper work to do yet around those areas as I left them raised but could bring them down closer to those areas. I laid the bow out last night and began chopping out everything that didn't look like a bow. I also bobbed 6" off one end. The knot would have been dead center otherwise. As it sits right now we're looking at 62" tip to tip. limbs are 1 3/4" wide. Tips and constructive criticism is welcome. I have a bunch of short deer leg tendons I could back it with, otherwise I was thinking of making rawhide from the young doe hide I have in the freezer.

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2015, 11:28:26 am »
Some more.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2015, 11:58:36 am »
That looks good so far!  I would be a bit concerned about having the knot there if your fade works at all, but maybe that isn't a problem.  I will let wiser, more experienced people comment on that if they want.  I am hoping to get my Sidewinder stave roughed out this weekend. 

Offline adams89

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2015, 12:28:58 pm »
Wow those staves are nice! Just a little tip, don't leave to much extra growthring on a not, no matter the size osage can  take knots very good but likes to lift splinters on extra growthrings, One ring extra is more than enough (very close to the knot).
very nice have fun!

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2015, 01:03:21 pm »
Nick,
After looking at the stave I sent you ( I couldn't remember who got what) I would say that one will not need to be backed. Those rings should be sufficient to make a bare backed bow. Just take your time chasing that ring down. You could back it if you want to but its extra work that won't be needed. Just don't violate around the knots. I also would probably not make it much more than 1 1/2" wide for a 62" length. Alot of mine are 60-62" and not usually wider than 1 3/8". No need to over build it. It is after all osage orange. I think that stave can handle it.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2015, 01:42:16 pm »
Yeah Puck , looks like ya got some rings still showin , finish chasin that one down then do ur lay out
DevilsBeachSelfbows