Author Topic: sidewinder buildalong  (Read 51529 times)

Offline Sidewinder

Re: sidewinder buildalong
« Reply #195 on: April 06, 2015, 12:26:38 am »
Sorry Stix I got mixed up on whos bow I was looking at. Great job on a tough stave. Im glad I could play a small part in your developement as a bowyer. You handled the challenge better than I would have thats for sure.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #196 on: April 10, 2015, 09:51:12 pm »
Just finished er up. 60" rawhide backed, flipped tips with ipe overlays. Ipe lams thru handle, buckskin handle wrap with deer leg bone arrow pass(thanx for the idea Carson) 1 coat shellac, 4 coats tung oil, 4 coats johnsons paste wax.
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #197 on: April 10, 2015, 09:53:50 pm »
Sorry , havin trouble with photobucket, wont let me post pics
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2015, 07:30:37 pm »
The fast workers are likely done, now for the slower guys.  I had my neighbor help me cut off the belly pieces.  the handle area of the primary stave takes a dip that made cutting or splitting a single full-length piece off.  I will try to clean up the backs of the billets and splice them together.  I thought about turning the billets end for end, so that I splice the former tips into the handle.  How deep should splices be?  3"?  4"?

Offline Halcon rojo

« Reply #199 on: April 27, 2015, 02:08:03 pm »
I could use some advice. I am chasing a ring on my sidewinder stave and there is a bump that I am thinking I should avoid. I gave it a wide birth for now because I think there is a knot under it. What do you guys think? Should I take the wood off or just clean up around this bump and leave a layer of wood over it? My fear is that I will end up uncovering the knot if I mess with it.
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Offline DC

« Reply #200 on: April 27, 2015, 02:24:05 pm »
Is this the bottom of a knot or just a piece of fluff?

Offline Halcon rojo

« Reply #201 on: April 27, 2015, 02:33:08 pm »
Just a piece of fluff. No part of a knot is visible. Just the raised surface on what will be the back of the bow.

Offline Blaflair2

« Reply #202 on: April 27, 2015, 02:46:31 pm »
Take it off, it will just be a bump, follow the profile on the belly, the rings will tell ya, just go slow around raised areas. If u leave that on its gonna pop off, u want one clean ring   :)
Nothing ventured nothing gained

Offline Sidewinder

« Reply #203 on: April 28, 2015, 07:19:35 am »
I agree. Just chase it to one ring and then follow the contour on the belly when you reduce the belly. It will give nice charactet. Even if it were a knot, they are not evil and can be delt with. I have found that if a knot on the back is not violated but follows the same ring it will be fine and stand proud.
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #204 on: April 28, 2015, 09:39:38 am »
Here is some inspiration for you. This stave is one I will be working on for some time. Patrick

Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline jimmy

« Reply #205 on: April 28, 2015, 09:45:37 am »
Lebhuntfish, I'm looking forward to seeing that bow!

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #206 on: April 28, 2015, 10:43:54 am »
Thanks Jimmy! May be a while, there is some questionable stuff going on with it. But the back ring is solid. It already has 3 holes from knots. But this one isn't a sidewinder stave. Just posted it for Halcon rojo to see. Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline Halcon rojo

« Reply #207 on: April 28, 2015, 12:10:16 pm »
Thanks guys,that helps. I'll post some more pictures when I get that ring worked out.

Offline Puckaway

« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2015, 11:05:03 pm »
Mine is done! I've got to get some pictures up. I'm taking "Knotty" turkey hunting tomorrow.

Offline jeffp51

« Reply #209 on: August 15, 2015, 01:12:05 am »
Well, Danny I finished the stave you sent me, and I have had great fun doing it.  I ended up using it as my trade bow because it was the best piece of wood I had.  I am really proud of how it turned out and I am glad I will be able to pass it on, but sorry to see it go.  Final dimensions are 67" nock to nock and 58# @ 29".  there is a little bit of snakey in the bottom limb that gives the bow a touch of character. The tips are some sort of african black wood/ebony substitute--very hard and very pretty.  I liked the black and gold contrast and decided to continue the theme with the grip.  I have always admired Simson's bows with their sharp-edged fades that transition to soft curves, so I tried to imitate them here.  I hope he is flattered. 

The recipient is one of the many avid hunters on this site so I finished the bow with 8 coats of tung oil rubbed down with pumice to create a satin finish like Gordon's build-alongs.  Orion the hunter is meant as a talisman to bring luck in the hunt.  I know some think he is holding a shield, but it always looks like a bow to me.

Thanks for looking and thanks for everything I learned from everyone on this site
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:20:57 am by jeffp51 »