Author Topic: One way to make a static tip-now a Grumley  (Read 37990 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: One way to make a static tip
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2015, 10:23:48 am »
You must be a marathon runner to be able to get from the kitchen to your workshop before the wood cools  :)

I use to run cross country, 30 years ago ;). I just keep the basement door and my shop door open with all tools ready to go. Its a seamless dash from stove to shop, I can get under 10 seconds if I hustle. I told my kid last night that Id have the fastest 40 yard time at the NFL combine this week if they timed me! 
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2015, 10:55:37 am »
Nice build along, Pearlie. I've always used dry heat for bending but I think my next recurve with be bent with steam, especially big hooks like you showed.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2015, 12:03:59 pm »
You must be a marathon runner to be able to get from the kitchen to your workshop before the wood cools  :)

I use to run cross country, 30 years ago ;). I just keep the basement door and my shop door open with all tools ready to go. Its a seamless dash from stove to shop, I can get under 10 seconds if I hustle. I told my kid last night that Id have the fastest 40 yard time at the NFL combine this week if they timed me!

Be better off to just buy a cheap hotplate and do it all in your shop, it will make your wife happy  ;)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2015, 12:22:24 pm »
But its the only time we see each other Marc...;) ?

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Roy

« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2015, 12:36:37 pm »
I'm surprised your wife hasn't bought you a stove for your shop already:)

blackhawk

« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2015, 12:48:21 pm »
Nice Kitchen.   I really like the cabinets.  Did you do that with a board or a stave?  :o  ;D

Cool demo. very helpful.  those statics are sweet!

Stave, I wouldn't try to bend a board, no matter its grain. Some things are meant to bend at 90 degrees and somewhere aren't.

I've bent statics in boards no problem ...  :P

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2015, 12:53:34 pm »
Im sure you have stud.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2015, 04:09:43 pm »
Tea sprayer, JWH. Thanks for the info. PD. KISS all the way for me and that is one for the books.

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2015, 10:56:03 pm »
Nice Kitchen.   I really like the cabinets.  Did you do that with a board or a stave?  :o  ;D

Cool demo. very helpful.  those statics are sweet!

Stave, I wouldn't try to bend a board, no matter its grain. Some things are meant to bend at 90 degrees and some aren't.

I actually really was referring to the cabinets.   :laugh:

I've bent boards before but to your point so far not to 90 degrees.   Will have to do that next.

Really nice looking statics on that for sure.  Thanks for posting this.  I never get tired of this kind of tutorial.  This is really making it nice and simple! 
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 11:00:11 pm by Arrowind »
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2015, 11:23:46 pm »
Thanks for makin it look easy chris.  I need to give one of those a shot some time.

Offline Badger

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2015, 11:47:53 pm »
  I have been leaning more toward steam over dry heat for the sharper statics, I don't seem to get as smooth of a bend with dry heat unless i just get lucky.

Offline Peacebow_Coos

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2015, 01:10:02 am »
Thanks for the bend-along PD, I do it the same way pretty much but mine don't come out as purdy as yours.  Just built myself a real jig like the one you have though.  My wife lets me use the stove because I'm usually the one cleaning up anyways!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2015, 09:18:23 am »
Nice steaming rig, PD. The first thing that caught my eye was the beautiful cabinets.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2015, 10:02:41 am »
Thanks Jawgey. My bro in law made those as well as built the house. He is good at the "square" stuff!

Offline Roy

« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2015, 10:55:05 am »
Let's see your pink apron, Pearly Boy:)