Author Topic: Holmegaard build along  (Read 106817 times)

Offline andy thomas

Re: Holmegaard build along
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2010, 01:35:56 am »
that is one sweet bow

Offline Gary Mac

« Reply #151 on: December 12, 2010, 02:58:16 pm »
Hi adb
Firstly let me say; Thank You! for such a detailed build-along.

A few questions:

I live in the UK and osage is getting increasingly more difficult to get hold of due to import restrictions.
Lemonwood is still in plentiful supply and I am wondering if you think that I can still work to the same limb width
as per your specifications with your osage build? Or do you think I would be better going for a bit more width?

Also, what are the dimensions for cutting the arrow rest from the centreline?

Being an Englishman, I have only ever built English Longbows (usually tri-laminate) and I have recently
completed a double laminate (Ipe+Hickory) replica of a Mary Rose Bow (full compass - working handle)). I have been looking for dimensions
for a Holmegaard for some time now as I wish to make one. It was searching the internet for this info I came across your build-a-long.
Boy, what a gem it is to. Your post has answered nearly all my questions and totally inspired me.

Best of British to you.

Gary

Offline adb

« Reply #152 on: December 12, 2010, 03:53:02 pm »
I would try lemonwood at the same dimensions. Also, I don't cut arrow rests into any of my bows. The handle length is 4", and I set my arow pass abut 1.5 - 2" above center.

Offline Gary Mac

« Reply #153 on: December 12, 2010, 07:33:31 pm »
Whoops, my apologies. I didn't look to close at the the handle section, I see now that you have set the arrow rest under the grip material.

Thanks for your response.

Offline nyarrow

« Reply #154 on: April 05, 2011, 09:42:08 am »
Awesome bow! I have to try one of these now.  Thanks for the excellent build along!

Offline Markus

« Reply #155 on: April 06, 2011, 08:48:22 pm »
Wow that is a goodlooking piece. Markus.

Offline Canuck Archer

« Reply #156 on: May 23, 2011, 05:23:56 pm »
I  notice that you use TB3 and you use rubber bands to fasten the backing on.  I use TB3 on my backed bows, and I use clamps, and works fine, but it's time consuming and takes a lot of clamps.  I clamp every 2 inches so I have 36 clamps at times.  I didn't think that TB3 would harden without oxygen, and with rubber bands I don't think it would get air in order to dry.  But if it will dry ok with rubber bands, then I'll switch.  BTW I live in eastern Ontario, Canada, and gets pretty cold here too.  Thanks for doing the build a long.

Offline adb

« Reply #157 on: May 28, 2011, 10:44:50 pm »
I've been using bicycle tire inner tubes for clamping for years now, with no issues. It actually works better than clamps, and is much cheaper. I leave them wrapped overnight, and have never had a problem.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #158 on: May 29, 2011, 12:03:11 pm »
  I didn't think that TB3 would harden without oxygen, and with rubber bands I don't think it would get air in order to dry. 

whether  your using clamps or inner tube or ubber bands
you are doing the same thing wen they are applied

you are squeezing all the oxygen out of the glue joint
most adhesives are anaerobic
which means they set up with the lack of oxyegen present  ;)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 12:06:27 pm by sailordad »
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline adb

« Reply #159 on: May 29, 2011, 02:17:20 pm »
It's not so much oxygen that's needed, but rather the circulation of air so the glue will dry.

Offline Young Bowyer

• What is this?
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2011, 09:18:42 pm »
I  notice that you use TB3 and you use rubber bands to fasten the backing on.  I use TB3 on my backed bows, and I use clamps, and works fine, but it's time consuming and takes a lot of clamps.  I clamp every 2 inches so I have 36 clamps at times.  I didn't think that TB3 would harden without oxygen, and with rubber bands I don't think it would get air in order to dry.  But if it will dry ok with rubber bands, then I'll switch.  BTW I live in eastern Ontario, Canada, and gets pretty cold here too.  Thanks for doing the build a long.
I live in Eastern Ontario too! This tutorial also got me thinking about using inner tubes... Going to make a boo backed osage holmie now!
"A man can be destroyed, but not defeated."
The old man from Ernest Hemingway's The Old Man And The Sea

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #161 on: September 22, 2011, 04:45:25 am »
Wow see what happens when you wander off the bows section ;D I have been wanting to try one of these for a while was not shure on how to lay it out....thanks a million, and what an awsome looking bow  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline paleryder

« Reply #162 on: October 01, 2011, 01:42:29 pm »
I knew I shouldn't have started reading this thread. I knew it! I knew it! Now I have to explain to the boss that another bow is needed. How else can I be expected to survive the coming ice age? Just imagine that creepy scientists clone the woolly mammoth and release this mega fauna back into the wild...then the ice age hits...then I walk outside with a Holmegaard bow that I made.

Awesome job.