Author Topic: Holmegaard build along  (Read 106794 times)

Offline adb

Re: Holmegaard build along
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 12:13:25 am »
If you don't get this first line straight, your bow will end up with the nocks and handle not lining up, causing limb twist, and all manner of nasty gremlins. If you're building a pyramid, and you're 1" out at the bottom, it's going to be 10' out at the top. Take your time, and get this part right!
After you have your string centered, and pulled tight and clamped, mark some reference points with a pencil. Remove the string, and draw your line. Eyeball down the line, and check that it's straight... dead straight. Trust your eye, it has an unbelievable ability to see nonuniformity.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline adb

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 12:18:09 am »
Next, I'll measure 33" from the center line to establish each limb length. As you can see, the center line is not exactly in the middle of the board's end. This doesn't matter. That's because the board isn't exactly straight... your line is straight.

Offline adb

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 12:22:37 am »
First profile will be the handle. I like them to be 4". It's a good fit for most hands, and I like to keep it as short as possible, to allow for more working limb length. More on that later. So, from your center line, measure each direction 2". I also make the handle 1" wide. Mark that out, as well. Keep things straight, and square.

Offline adb

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2008, 12:28:07 am »
From here, I make the fades 2".
With osage, I'm only making the limbs 1.5" wide. White woods (hickory, maple, elm) would require a wider working limb width.., at least 2-2.5".
So, from your center line, draw your working limb lines 1.5" wide, and connect these with the 1" handle width. Sorry, I cut off the last bit of the fade profile, but we'll see it better later.

Offline adb

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 12:34:11 am »
From here, I usually establish the length of the outer, non-bending, limb portions. Regardless of overall length, i never make these more than 12". Your final product has to be functional, but it also has to be pleasing to the eye, at least for me.
For this bow, I'm making the outer limbs 11" total. So, with 1/2" pin nocks, they'll be 10.5" long.
The fades, from bending inner working limb, to outer non-bending limb, are also 2". How did I arrive at these dimensions? Trial & error. The bow has to be proportionate.

Offline adb

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 12:36:27 am »
So, from the 1.5" working limb, the profile will fade over 2" to 1", then to 1/2" at the distal end of the limb.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 12:46:04 am by adb3112 »

Offline adb

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 12:41:17 am »
All marks, so far, are pencil.
So, with these dimensions of handle, and outer limb, we end up with 16" inner working limbs.

Offline adb

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2008, 12:45:05 am »
Once I've drawn out all lines in pencil, I'll go back over the outer profiles with a sharpie. This will give me a good non-fading line for cutting with the bandsaw.

Offline adb

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2008, 01:03:28 am »
Final review:
66" OAL. 4" handle. 2" fade to 1.5" wide inner working limb, 2" fade to 1" outer limb, ending in 1/2" pin nock.
1/16" is taken off each edge of the pin nock, also, to provide a shoulder for the string. More on that later.
Next step... making some saw dust with the bandsaw. Wanna see a pic of my new baby? Well, it's not that new. I've had it just about a year.
Craftsman Professional bandsaw, 1 HP, 14". I'm in love. If you buy a saw, make it a good one. If you buy a cheapie, you'll kick yourself until you get a good one.

Offline adb

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2008, 02:06:33 pm »
Some completely unrelated side news... I live in Western Canada, and it's been COLD here lately. How cold? Last night it was -41C. Two nights ago, it was -37C with a 30k/hr wind, making it -51C with the windchill!! Yes, that's NOT a typo... -51C. How cold is that? Exposed flesh freezes in less than 30 secs, and if you go outside and take a piss, it freezes before it hits the ground!! (Just kidding!!). But, it is damn cold!! Global warming... what a bunch of bunk! It's hard to describe -50 if you haven't experienced it... let's just say... it hurts!

PK

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2008, 04:03:50 pm »
great build along thanks for helping me realize I'm still a student,  It is so cool to see all of you do your work and the cold I have verified that one years ago funny isn't it.

Offline DanaM

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2008, 05:03:22 pm »
Yea we have -30 wind chills here today sucks big time, when its that cold ya can spit ice cubes ;)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline jwillis

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2008, 10:38:05 pm »
This is a cool build-along.  I really appreciate it because I want to build just such a bow after seeing your previous Holmie posts.  Jim

Offline Ghost Dog

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2008, 01:40:11 am »
We just got back from Calistoga CA where we were sitting in natural hot springs. They were much hotter than -41C. Yikes.
With a fine osage selfbow, my elkhide quiver filled with cedar arrows fletched with turkey, and with the invitation of the forest, I am about as happy as a man can be.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2008, 04:05:02 am »
Thank you for doing this build-a-long. I am learning much from this thread. Excellent!
Gordon