Author Topic: Hickory Board Bow - first solo bow building attempt, work in progress  (Read 31860 times)

Offline Andrea S

Re: Hickory Board Bow - first solo bow building attempt, work in progress
« Reply #90 on: April 07, 2015, 06:00:51 pm »
So, here's a pickle. I'm going hunting with this bow on Saturday. There's a good chance it's going to rain in the afternoon, plus I'll be splashing through rivers and creeks to get to the gobblers. I want to protect it, but I don't want it to check on me because I sealed it too fast. Should I just wax it instead? This article asserts that wax is vapor permeable, so it will still be able to breathe, but splashes will bead up and can be wiped away. Thinking the same with the arrows I just made, and experimenting with ground pigments in the wax.

http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/air-drying-wood.html

If you think this is a good idea, what wax would you use? I've heard beeswax/oil combo, and Johnsons paste wax suggested before.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 06:17:27 pm by Andrea S »
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #91 on: April 07, 2015, 07:15:47 pm »
Personaly I would not even look at it for two weeks or more after skining it  but others don't  think it needs that long to dry out, its not checking that worries me  but the amount of set that could  occur  from bending and stressing  wet wood
I forget what kind of glue you used if it was a wood glue ? Like tightbond
the rain and splashing  won't  get it nearly as wet as the glue under them skins did !
It's  your bow and you made it to hunt with so go for it and get the next one started
Post pics  of  your kill here with the bow cause  we  know your gona get him !
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline bow101

« Reply #92 on: April 07, 2015, 07:23:06 pm »
I clear coat my stuff.  I understand your use of natural products.  At any rate good luck on your hunt   8)  I have never been there/dun that as of yet;  let us know how the hunt goes............ :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bubby

« Reply #93 on: April 07, 2015, 07:46:50 pm »
Andrea put a coat or two of spray varnish on the bow the skins should be dry, then if you want after the hunt scrape the varnish off the belly varnish scrapes off easy but personally i think it's prolly good to go i only wait a day or two before i seal mine, good luck witn them gobblers make sure you post the kill ;)
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline TimBo

« Reply #94 on: April 07, 2015, 10:27:03 pm »
I have never skinned anything except knees, so I don't know if this is a good idea or not...but could you weigh the bow every day to see if it is losing weight, as you would to check moisture content of a stave or bow blank?  Maybe the amount of moisture from the glue would be too small to make a noticeable difference. 

Offline Andrea S

« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2015, 12:50:27 am »
Haven't sealed anything yet, but got to shoot my first rounds of arrows through it - red osier dogwood shafts I cut last week. I love, love, love this bow. And an unlucky tom or jake will find his way to my dinner table this weekend.
Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. -Abe Lincoln

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #96 on: April 09, 2015, 02:30:17 am »
nice even bend on that bow, good work. its cool to see a woman bowyer on here, keep them comin

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #97 on: April 09, 2015, 02:50:12 am »
Andrea, while we can get emotionally attached to the bows we build, remember we built them to be tools to use for our pleasure.  You built this bow to hunt with, as it seems, for this turkey season.  Enjoy your bow and enjoy your hunt.  What's the worst that could happen--it absorbs moisture like hickory tends to do and bow take some set.  It that risk worth giving up a "hunt of lifetime"?  You've got skills.  You can build another bow.  But, you can't bring back this turkey season. 
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #98 on: April 09, 2015, 08:07:29 am »
You could spray on about 4 or more coats of shellac and have it dry in one day, follow up with a coat of paste wax and your good to go. After the hunt take the wax off gently with acetone and follow with a little alcohol to remove the shellac, then you can put any permanent finish you prefer on it.
Good luck on your hunt, your bow looks top notch Andrea.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline paco664

• ok,ok.. i might have done it...
« Reply #99 on: April 09, 2015, 08:32:39 am »
you sure killed the heck out of that turkey in the photo!

good luck on your hunt and great job on the bow..
I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"~Col.H.Sanders

Offline bubby

« Reply #100 on: April 09, 2015, 09:00:15 am »
Great job and it looks like the turkeys are in deep trouble, like i said earlier put some shellac on it don't give hickory a chance to absorb moisture on the hunt
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #101 on: April 09, 2015, 09:33:12 am »
That thing is looking sweet.  Nice job.  I agree with Wizzard.  It's super cool to see a woman bowyer on here.  Can't wait to see it dolled up

Offline lebhuntfish

• If the wood will bend, I'll make it beautiful!
« Reply #102 on: April 09, 2015, 10:44:20 am »
Andrea, while we can get emotionally attached to the bows we build, remember we built them to be tools to use for our pleasure.  You built this bow to hunt with, as it seems, for this turkey season.  Enjoy your bow and enjoy your hunt.  What's the worst that could happen--it absorbs moisture like hickory tends to do and bow take some set.  It that risk worth giving up a "hunt of lifetime"?  You've got skills.  You can build another bow.  But, you can't bring back this turkey season.

+1, enjoy your hunt!

Your arrows look like they performed well to! Patrick
Once an Eagle Scout, always an Eagle Scout!

Missouri, where all the best wood is! Well maybe not the straightest!

Building a bow has been the most rewarding, peaceful, and frustrating things I have ever made with my own two hands!

Offline GB

« Reply #103 on: April 09, 2015, 02:21:54 pm »
Your bow and arrows look great.  Neat to see someone who wanted to make a bow dive right in and get it done.  Good luck with the gobblers.
Yeah, I remember when we had a President who didn't wear a tinfoil hat.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #104 on: April 09, 2015, 03:58:50 pm »
Can't wait to see that bow layin on top of a thunder chicken. Great work all around.\,,/
DevilsBeachSelfbows